How deep should foam pits be??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New question here. How deep should foam pits be??

I am thinking about building one, but how deep should they be?

rider
    my friend and i are thinking about building one too, my guess would be like 8 feet deep, but i have no experience in this. also, does anybody know where to get foam for one?
    thanks
    -rtth
    "who vants a mustache ride?"

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride To The Hills
    my friend and i are thinking about building one too, my guess would be like 8 feet deep, but i have no experience in this. also, does anybody know where to get foam for one?
    thanks
    -rtth
    yeah, make it 8' tall. it should be fun to get out of.......
    most i've seen are about 5'......

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    thanks westcoast. i was thinking about 5 or 6. i still have to figure out where to get the foam though...

rider
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    yeah, make it 8' tall. it should be fun to get out of.......
    most i've seen are about 5'......
    sorry it was just a wild guess, i found an article on woodwards and its 5 feet so i was way off.
    "who vants a mustache ride?"

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    i have a pic of some dude doing backflips into one and its about 2m tall which is about 6ft...good luck finding that much foam...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    everybody was dressed nice...I had shorts, Rogue T-shirt and sandles

airin' it out in the 951
    Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    i have a pic of some dude doing backflips into one and its about 2m tall which is about 6ft...good luck finding that much foam...
    I think the one in Pastrana's backyard is 8ish....

I wanna talk to Samson!
    im gonna build one too. mines gonna be 20 feet long, 15 feet wide, and 5 feet deep with a 7 foot dirt kicker. only problem is thats a shiii load of foam and i dont know where im gonna get any. 1500 square feet of foam to fill it, well its gonna be less. anyone have any ideas?? besides google and the phone book(tried those)
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    im gonna build one too. mines gonna be 20 feet long, 15 feet wide, and 5 feet deep with a 7 foot dirt kicker. only problem is thats a shiii load of foam and i dont know where im gonna get any. 1500 square feet of foam to fill it, well its gonna be less. anyone have any ideas?? besides google and the phone book(tried those)
    it's 1500 cubic feet, not square, just thought i'd point that out. I 've run into the same problem with finding foam. I'm gonna call around tomorrow. good luck. ps if you go onto ebay there is a guy selling foam for $.41 for a bundle of 225 6" by 6" squares, it's like $25 for shipping though. He's in Kansas so if you live near there... good luck with your search for this springy gold.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    it's 1500 cubic feet, not square, just thought i'd point that out. I 've run into the same problem with finding foam. I'm gonna call around tomorrow. good luck. ps if you go onto ebay there is a guy selling foam for $.41 for a bundle of 225 6" by 6" squares, it's like $25 for shipping though. He's in Kansas so if you live near there... good luck with your search for this springy gold.
    yeah cubic, square, stupid dimensions. 41 cents for 225 squares, im so buying it. thanks for the tip.
    JackNugz

no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    just remember it's 25 for shipping, go on the ebay home page and type in foam pit if you wanna see it. it would take a lot of bundles to fill it though. because that onyl takes up like 28 cubic feet, I think, you work it out, make sure. good luck

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    thats alot of foam...

I wanna talk to Samson!
    thats alot of foam...
    yeah. ive decided to make mine smaller. i dont really think ill need it to be 20 feet long or 15 feet wide. its not gonna be 10x15x5, and i also just remembered i have a 7 foot quarter pimp i used to skate, so im gonna use that as the lip so we can move it around.

now i only need 750 cubic feet of foam......
    JackNugz

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    hehehehehehehehehe...good luck...

I wanna talk to Samson!
    hehehehehehehehehe...good luck...
    ok, its getting late and i dont think my math is right. to fill my 10x15x5 foot foam pit i would need 3000 6'x'6 inch cubes. right?
    JackNugz

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    hey kona biker- I think you would need like 26 bundles. because i figured that each bundle of 225 is 28 cu ft. so divide 750 by 28. it's 26.78. i hope i did this right. anyway, i probably didn't but i think i may of, ahh whatever- too late. so 26.78 x 225 is 6025.

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    dude in on hollidays...hell no i aint doing maths...

banned

it's the foam

that is hard to come by. Go to the dump, and get all the old couches you can find. It's very smelly stuff, but it's very cheap or free. I wanted to build one years ago, after visiting a dude who had one... He got all his foam at either salvage yards or the dump. I looked into buying the foam, and it would have been more $$ than two fully built up DH bikes....

I became better friends with the dude, and used his smelly ass foam pit.

good luck!

BJ-
    Rota Imports
    hehehehheheheh...konabikers gunna have a smelly foam pit...

I wanna talk to Samson!
    hehehehheheheh...konabikers gunna have a smelly foam pit...
    arrrgh. i dont think i would mind the smell i just want one. im gonna go on a search tommrow and find out if i can get enough. a couple of guys might be willing to pitch in to help pay for it, so well see how it goes.

and can someone tell me if my calculations were right?
    JackNugz

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!?!
    Anybody got pics of one of these things?
    --Tod

"I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's law; I merely enforce it."

Pro Crastinator
    ok, its getting late and i dont think my math is right. to fill my 10x15x5 foot foam pit i would need 3000 6'x'6 inch cubes. right?
    remember, when you fill up a foam pit, it only takes about 2/3 the total pit size of foam to fill it up to the top. the foam is just thrown in, you are not trying to make a solid foam pool, you would just bounce off the top........

a'buh?
    remember, when you fill up a foam pit, it only takes about 2/3 the total pit size of foam to fill it up to the top. the foam is just thrown in, you are not trying to make a solid foam pool, you would just bounce off the top........
    thank you for pointing that out, I was hoping someone would before I had to. You can also make like the last foot something a little more dense, so that If you get down to that depth some how, it will be hard to hurt yourself on the bottom.

By the way, if you do use smelly old foam, throw a couple of those air freshener dealies into the mix and keep a bottle of it handy for a pit spray-down. (if you actually care about smelling good-I don't )

I was wondering what you do w/ these things when it rains, 'cuz if the foam gets wet, it would take weeks to dry all the way out
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwalrus
    thank you for pointing that out, I was hoping someone would before I had to. You can also make like the last foot something a little more dense, so that If you get down to that depth some how, it will be hard to hurt yourself on the bottom.
    oh yeah, make the bottom 12" a solid layer......

Uhhhhh...
    [QUOTE=flyingwalrus

I was wondering what you do w/ these things when it rains, 'cuz if the foam gets wet, it would take weeks to dry all the way out[/QUOTE]

Tarp?!?

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

I wanna talk to Samson!
    yeah. i think total to fill it i would need like 4000, so 3000 should work good.
    JackNugz

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingwalrus

I was wondering what you do w/ these things when it rains, 'cuz if the foam gets wet, it would take weeks to dry all the way out
    Tarp?!?

-TS
    yeah, but here in santa barbara it like never rains so thats not a problem.

what do you guys think about a sunk in foam pit? i could dig it out and just fill that. it would need to be a massive hole but ive got all summer.
    JackNugz

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    yeah, but here in santa barbara it like never rains so thats not a problem.

what do you guys think about a sunk in foam pit? i could dig it out and just fill that. it would need to be a massive hole but ive got all summer.
    yeah, i'm digging a foam pit. with a tractor though. so it will probably only take a couple of days.