Hope Tech Evo V2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hope Tech Evo V2

I posted this over at the brake forum but I thought there might be a better chance that someone here has real life experience with the brakes so here it is again.

I spent a bit of time last night looking for actual weight of these brakes and can't find anything definitive. Hope says "from 546g". What does that even mean? From? Is that one full setup with the solid 203mm disc? With the vented rotor? 203mm?

Everything else I have seen from Hope has been really well made and the 'vented" rotor looks really intriguing. But I have seen it listed at almost 300g which is 3 times the weight of their 203mm floating rotors, which work really well btw. I haven't even seen a weight for the solid rotors for the V2.

I also looked at test results and Saint brakes out performed everything else on the market in terms of stopping power, and they cost less. Still that vented rotor...

Anybody have actual weights of everything? That you weighed yourself?
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

Proud lame eBiker
    If you're interested in these brakes, it is not because the will be lightweight in the slightest.

If you want the absolute most stopping over the top power then the V2 with vented rotors are the way to go. I've owned a set a while ago. Amazing power. I wish I still had them to run on my tandem now. They have way more power than the M6's I'm using on there now.
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    They aren't weighed but there are a set of V2's and a set of m4's on the two DH bikes in my house. Neither of us have any plans of switching. They're heavier than most but in terms of feel, reliability and ease of service it's worth it. The first time I bled them I couldn't believe how easy it was (coming from avid).

The vented rotor is heavier, but it will brake better for longer because it cools faster. That said, I've never had any fade with m4's after a full day at the park, so V2's are going to be better. Personally, I don't see the need for it, especially considering the price.

AKA shitbird
    We've got em in our shop. I can weigh them tomorrow and post back what they come in at
    JRA

Perpetual Hack
    Post up the weight for the M4's for comparison if you have a set please.

michael

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Post up the weight for the M4's for comparison if you have a set please.

michael
    Sorry, not going to take them off just to get a weight

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos View Post
    We've got em in our shop. I can weigh them tomorrow and post back what they come in at
    You get a chance to do that yet?
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

AKA shitbird
    Sorry about the long wait on the brake weight. I forgot. Anyway, since we have some in the shop, I threw a brake on the scale today. By the way, this is one of the new "Special Edition" V2 brakes in green and if I had taken a better picture they would look pretty badass.

Anyway, as you can see, the caliper, lever, hose comes in at 340 grams and the 8" vented rotor at 292

Hope Tech Evo V2-hope-v2-scale.jpg

Hope Tech Evo V2-v2-rotor-scale.jpg
    JRA

mtbr member
    Thanks for the data.

So it looks like you are only giving up about 100g per wheel at the rotor over the Saints. Not too bad. But add in that tests show Saints have more braking power and the Hopes will cost at least $100 extra per wheel probably ads up to if I want to go with the Hopes it's going to be for the Bling.

mtbr member
    I've been running the 4-pot Saints since they came out. They are very powerful. My buddy has the Formula "the one" brakes and while not CNC'd like the Hopes, they are very light and nearly as powerful as the Saints. So you might want to look at those too.

There's also a gigantic difference in stopping power between the pads that come on them and the optional softer/quieter pads Shimano offers. I'd stick with the ones that come with them in the box.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    Thanks for the data.

So it looks like you are only giving up about 100g per wheel at the rotor over the Saints. Not too bad. But add in that tests show Saints have more braking power and the Hopes will cost at least $100 extra per wheel probably ads up to if I want to go with the Hopes it's going to be for the Bling.
    You need to shop around more you can get Hopes at same price as SAINTS oh and BTW modulation over power anyday!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianjenn View Post
    You need to shop around more you can get Hopes at same price as SAINTS oh and BTW modulation over power anyday!!!
    I did look around for about an hour one night and couldn't find any deals. It was all pretty much retail. Leads?

I'd go for power and modulation personally. I have a set of perhaps 2009 (?) Saints on one bike and some 2011s on another. The 11s are better and great in all respects. Are you saying the Hopes have better modulation?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
    I've been running the 4-pot Saints since they came out. They are very powerful. My buddy has the Formula "the one" brakes and while not CNC'd like the Hopes, they are very light and nearly as powerful as the Saints. So you might want to look at those too.

There's also a gigantic difference in stopping power between the pads that come on them and the optional softer/quieter pads Shimano offers. I'd stick with the ones that come with them in the box.
    Are you saying go with metallic over organic? Or the other way around?

I had metallic in my older saints and they were not stopping worth a **** after sitting for about a year no matter what I did to them, so I bought a new set of organic pads and that solved the problem. Usually soft - quiet - grip = organic.

I'm running what ever came with the 2011 Saints and they work great but I didn't check to see what compound they are.

mtbr member

It's really all about those vented rotors...plus I like Hope as a company. Everything I have gotten from the so far has been the ****. Ok don't like that...how about - the tits -

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by modifier View Post
    It's really all about those vented rotors...plus I like Hope as a company. Everything I have gotten from the so far has been the ****. Ok don't like that...how about the tits.
    LOL. Just make sure they fit with your hub/fork combo. They rub on some bikes.

For the pads, they sell "metal" and "resin". The resin is softer/quieter but, IMO, quite a bit less power. I SUPPOSE you could say they modulate better if pulling harder = modulation as a lot of people do seem to think. I definately like the metal pads better.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    LOL. Just make sure they fit with your hub/fork combo. They rub on some bikes.

For the pads, they sell "metal" and "resin". The resin is softer/quieter but, IMO, quite a bit less power. I SUPPOSE you could say they modulate better if pulling harder = modulation as a lot of people do seem to think. I definately like the metal pads better.
    When I have switched over to Hope M6 rotors with the alloy centers on a couple of bikes I have had to tweek things to get them to run clean. They are a little thicker and a little bigger. But they do seem to work better than other rotors and weigh less. As far as fitting the vented big boys, that is yet to be tried.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I found a price (not even a sale on my hope brakes that made the set cost less than a pair of Avid Elixers. $315 shipped to my door from UK. When my roommate got his set the same was true. Look at online shops that are in hopes country of origin