Thread: Honda Bike Hype

Team

Honda Bike Hype

Team

Stack Daddy
    Jan 2004

Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by DHbiker
    I don't care what anyone says, I love that bike! It will be interesting to see how the technology trickles down to the everyday bike.

mtbr member

So much speculation...

about what was inside that gearbox and its a derailleur!!! Brilliant!!! The jokes on us

I think it is absolutely the coolest bike to come out in a long time.

Team
    I think it is awesome. How much would a frame cost. )

Say Car Ramrod!!
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DHbiker
    I think it is awesome. How much would a frame cost. )
    the bike sounded like a big bag of pop cans rolling down a hill....
    I wish my grass was emo so it would cut itself...

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdemon
    I don't care what anyone says, I love that bike! It will be interesting to see how the technology trickles down to the everyday bike.
    they got beat to it...the Petespeed tranny (by BeOne and licensed by Hayes) uses the same principal but looks to be a better design though. Their box frame looks cool but i wonder if it's cost effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    they got beat to it...the Petespeed tranny (by BeOne and licensed by Hayes) uses the same principal but looks to be a better design though. Their box frame looks cool but i wonder if it's cost effective.
    True. Originally, the Honda Gearbox was this super complicated system involving reciprocating lever action that was transmitted into cyclical motion to drive the rear wheel. I like the original design since it involved a near limitless infinte gear range between the max and min gearing. The new system is just a complicated deraileur in a carbon fibre cage.... lame....

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Thats an FSR right?

Cool bike, is the fork + shock made by honda as well? I'd think with their involvement with mx they could produce damn nice mtb suspension

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaryJerry
    True. Originally, the Honda Gearbox was this super complicated system involving reciprocating lever action that was transmitted into cyclical motion to drive the rear wheel. I like the original design since it involved a near limitless infinte gear range between the max and min gearing. The new system is just a complicated deraileur in a carbon fibre cage.... lame....
    yeah, was referring to the current and final version. The CVT design (2nd version i think) was useless for racing since it goes against the rules; they had to index set ratios anyways. Plus who knows how well it worked, how efficient, weight and projected cost...may have been completly unfeasable.

Its funny how much more clean and compact the Petespeed is over the Honda. Should work out to be a great concept.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider
    Cool bike, is the fork + shock made by honda as well? I'd think with their involvement with mx they could produce damn nice mtb suspension
    dude, who do you think provides their forks on their MX bikes?

it's Showa

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    A friend of mine rode one last weekend.
    He said it was quite an amazing ride, "it soaked up everything and never left the ground"

However he said it also felt super heavy too, which probably has something to do with it never leaving the ground.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by namachari
    A friend of mine rode one last weekend.
    He said it was quite an amazing ride, "it soaked up everything and never left the ground"

However he said it also felt super heavy too, which probably has something to do with it never leaving the ground.
    gee, so your friend is on the Honda racing team?

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by namachari
    Wouldn't this have more to do with the suspension than the drivetrain, which is really the only unique concept of the Honda bike? I've heard many riders and reviews give the same assessment of the V10.

Still, the drivetrain concepts of the Honda and Petespeed designs are very intersting and I look forward to following their continued development. Hopefully all these new suspension designs and drivetrain concepts will help to breath more life into MTB, much like freeride has done in the past few years.

mtbr member
    gee, so your friend is on the Honda racing team?
    I think he might be Japaneese by his name, and i think i remember that there are more of them in Japan than here...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

Uhhhhh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    I think he might be Japaneese by his name, and i think i remember that there are more of them in Japan than here...
    Nah, you have to be affilliated (sp?) with Honda to even touch the thing. Oh and i second the notion that there the loudest bike on the mountain.

-TS
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Wouldn't this have more to do with the suspension than the drivetrain, which is really the only unique concept of the Honda bike? I've heard many riders and reviews give the same assessment of the V10.
    that bike had the benefit of 3 suspension technicians from Showa. Who knows whats going on in that shock

Cynical Bystander
    yeah, was referring to the current and final version. The CVT design (2nd version i think) was useless for racing since it goes against the rules; they had to index set ratios anyways. Plus who knows how well it worked, how efficient, weight and projected cost...may have been completly unfeasable.

Its funny how much more clean and compact the Petespeed is over the Honda. Should work out to be a great concept.
    I have to agree with you. I personally lost some of my excitement towards the honda transmission thing after I saw the simplified version. Had they gotten the original one working it'd be top of the line. Although I'm sure its quite nice I'd probably go with the one that's owned by Hayes if I had the choice.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My friend actually knows some of the guys from Honda (Japan), and he also happends to know the people from MTB magazine (Japan) who were test riding it that weekend.

This is how he got to score a ride.