Hockey tape................- Mtbr.com
    Glad to Be Alive

Hockey tape................

anybody got some pixtors of hockey tape on their bikes
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Pro Crastinator
    mark uses it to wrap his stays, his worn out grips and to re-upholster his seat....

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    yep its on my sadle, and was on the chain stays. old tube works soo much better....
    OMG GUISE IT HAZ A AIER SHOCK WTF OO DUZ THAT?!?!?

N* Bomber Crew
    Hockey tape would be a bad choice for protecting a chainstay.....the stuf tears easily and isn't exactly "Indestructable".

Oh, and I use hockey tape for its intended purpose too .
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yeah wrap an old tube on and zip tie it. Much better since you don't have the sticky mess and it is much more durable. It also dampens the sounds from the derailer hitting too. Stereo cable wraps work very well too.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Hockey tape would be a bad choice for protecting a chainstay.....the stuf tears easily and isn't exactly "Indestructable".

Oh, and I use hockey tape for its intended purpose too .
    Kyle it actually works for a chainstay, triple layered!.... owns electrical tape in every way
    Heres some on my P2 was on there for a season.... p for sale btw...https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/208667/
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I use Easton bat grip tape on my stays. Holds up very nicely and looks so much better than ghetto ass old tube
    friends don't let friends shift gears

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Kyle it actually works for a chainstay, triple layered!.... owns electrical tape in every way
    Heres some on my P2 was on there for a season.... p for sale btw...https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/208667/
    Heh...guess it does! I was just remniscing on how my tape always tears on the bottom of the blade of my stick after about 2 ice sessions...I may need more durable tape.

Glad to Be Alive
    How do you guys like the Lizard skins......they have worked well for me in the past....I just don't like the look of the tube
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Disco-Superfly
    Heh...guess it does! I was just remniscing on how my tape always tears on the bottom of the blade of my stick after about 2 ice sessions...I may need more durable tape.
    True that, it lasts me one, if im lucky 2 ice times... Its beucase of all the friction from leaning on the stick... a chain slapping the frame would similate tapping your blade on the ground, but very solftly since a chain doesnt weight alot and carry a lot of inertia... so tapping your stick on the ground, the tape will last a while with 3 layers
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

mtbr member
    i;ve used hockey tape to rap my stays and to repair seats. i say it doesn't work real well for stays unless you really layer it well. these days i just use electrical tape for the stays and it works well.

General Rabble-Rouser
    I use a double layer of inner tube stretched nice and tight wrapped in good ol hockey tape
    I like the rubber underneath, it really deadens the slap. and if you wrap the tape well enough it should last for a long time

2 seasons on my HT and it's just a little grey from dust, no frays. Seen electrical tape once now THAT wore out fast

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    hey yay more hockey players!!haha i remember being little and it weould like like a million sessions of in-house!now i insist on doing it before every game...works as a great chainstay protector to!
    so this is how you add a signature!!

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    How do you guys like the Lizard skins......they have worked well for me in the past....I just don't like the look of the tube

The lizard skin stuff works reall well and stays on pretty good. I have it on my P.2 as well as all my other bikes before that, and even with chainsuck it still doesn't take off the lizard skin it actually stays on pretty good.

The only thing to remember is to remove it when washing your bike or before that maybe, because all the sand that gets stuck undernieth will eat up your paint (basically sand it ) if you don't remove it.

mtbr member
    Get the CatEye black cloth tape that sorta like hokey tape , then paint over it with epoxy and it turns into something that looks sorta like carbon fiber .
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    ryno linings

mtbr member
    old tubes work great. and its cheap, cut up old tube and use some tape and done

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wrap an old tube around the chainstay, using electrical tape to hold the ends tight, overlapping so there's 2 layers of tube over the stay. Cover that with hockey tape (or go to the hardware store and get the "friction tape" next to the electrical tape ... cheaper and same stuff). I usually run 2 or 3 lengthwise pieces across the top and bottom of the stay, then wrap 2 or 3 coils around the whole thing. Lasts a long time.

Zip ties don't work, the chain breaks them.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    True that, it lasts me one, if im lucky 2 ice times... Its beucase of all the friction from leaning on the stick... a chain slapping the frame would similate tapping your blade on the ground, but very solftly since a chain doesnt weight alot and carry a lot of inertia... so tapping your stick on the ground, the tape will last a while with 3 layers

Well honestly I don't know how often I should retape my blade. Coming from Roller Hockey....it was worthless to retape the blade so much, cause one shot and its torn. Ice on the other hand, the tape for mine seems to last about one game, solid, then the 2nd ice time...its beings to tear and expose the blade...I used my recent tape job for 3 sessions, worked okay, but I just retaped it....

Speaking of that, I need new tape.

mtbr member
    I used to use hockey tape. Now I have a old tire that I cut a piece out of to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    Wrap an old tube around the chainstay, using electrical tape to hold the ends tight, overlapping so there's 2 layers of tube over the stay. Cover that with hockey tape (or go to the hardware store and get the "friction tape" next to the electrical tape ... cheaper and same stuff). I usually run 2 or 3 lengthwise pieces across the top and bottom of the stay, then wrap 2 or 3 coils around the whole thing. Lasts a long time.

Zip ties don't work, the chain breaks them.
    what do you mean zip ties break, are you useing the 20 lb ones cuz i use 200 and they dont break

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc
    Get the CatEye black cloth tape that sorta like hokey tape , then paint over it with epoxy and it turns into something that looks sorta like carbon fiber .
    any pixtors

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by f0ggy
    ryno linings
    That is what I use, there is nothing that works better, hands down!
    I have been using the same pieces all season and there is no wear on any of it.
    I can also just cover the small spots that need protecting rather than rapping an entire part, or tube. Looks real clean
    It is also cheap and easy

SouthernDevilz/RoguePosse
    Feb 2004
    i like the tube/tape combo

wrap with the tube first then cover it with the tape. as stated a bove it makes for a nice quiet ride for sure. the tape makes it look alot cleaner IMO.
    www.southerndevilz.net
    www.rogueposse.net

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Question,
    a new bike i just got cane with these velcro sleeves.
    they can easily slide and I am thinking of removing them for the tube opption.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by f0ggy
    what do you mean zip ties break, are you useing the 20 lb ones cuz i use 200 and they dont break
    They're 80-100 lb ones, and at Whistler, the chain wears through them in a few days. The friction tape method lasts about a season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratmfreak99
    Question,
    a new bike i just got cane with these velcro sleeves.
    they can easily slide and I am thinking of removing them for the tube opption.
    Use rhyno lining it will last longer than the bike and dosen't look like a turd is strapped on your frame

-arschloch-
    Apr 2004
    rhino-liner = cool idea. can you get it in such small quantities?

lizard skins = bwahahahahaha. the last one i had lasted about 13.5 minutes. ok for light XC or road bikes...maybe.
    To air is human, to dig is divine.

mtbr member
    Well honestly I don't know how often I should retape my blade. Coming from Roller Hockey....it was worthless to retape the blade so much, cause one shot and its torn. Ice on the other hand, the tape for mine seems to last about one game, solid, then the 2nd ice time...its beings to tear and expose the blade...I used my recent tape job for 3 sessions, worked okay, but I just retaped it....

Speaking of that, I need new tape.
    I retape for the first game of a weekend, and every other one after that. So, if I play 3 games in a weekend, and have two practices, my stick will get new tape for the 1st and 3rd games. I also put new tape on if it gets a sizeable chunk torn down from a skate blade.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chuffer

lizard skins = bwahahahahaha. the last one i had lasted about 13.5 minutes. ok for light XC or road bikes...maybe.

so its perfect for SMT's riding style, right?
    I went to the doctor and told him "hey doc, it hurts when I go like this" and the doc said "Does the rear feel too soft?"

mtbr member
    I have a friend that sprays the liners, all shops that do it end up with strips and blankets of scrap. It is about 2mm thinck and will stick to anything with a little bit of 3M double sided automotive tape. If I get real crazy I will post some pics.
    The nice thing about the tape is that it also pads the frame so there is no noise at all from chain slap.
    We put some on a dirt bike swing arm and it still hasn't worn from the chain the stuff lasts forever

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by hardrockcromo
    so its perfect for SMT's riding style, right?
    come ride with me and see what you got......i get teased cause I don't want to do 20 foot doubles and legit 14 to 16 foot drops......think about it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    come ride with me and see what you got......i get teased cause I don't want to do 20 foot doubles and legit 14 to 16 foot drops......think about it

you've got what, 11 inches of travel? if youre not doing 14-16' drops with that....you should really consider a smaller bike next time. or smooth out your riding techniques.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by samalter
    you've got what, 11 inches of travel? if youre not doing 14-16' drops with that....you should really consider a smaller bike next time. or smooth out your riding techniques.
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

I like air!
    Quote Originally Posted by samalter

Lets see your photos doing a 16 footer...

@wishEMT
    i have used tape to repair grips, but never as a chainstay guard, i'll hafta try that. btw, i usually tape every game during the season and when i need it in summer league

mtbr member
    I do 16-20 footers no problem when I am freestyle walking, I even do them to flat!
    I am working on 6 footers when I am on my huck bike

Members who have read this thread: 1