hey Lower Mainland BC people (past and present)- Mtbr.com
    Former Noob Herder

hey Lower Mainland BC people (past and present)

i'm looking at a job thats located in Surrey and was wondering what are your thoughts about the area or commutable surroundings living wise. Like how nice, cost of living (what you think a decent wage would be to live proper if not modestly), ability to get around, etc. Kinda nervous at the thought of just up-rooting from this god-forsaken province, yet desperatly want to get out at the same time. Thoughts, wisdom and opinions welcome.

And yes you dont need to mention the riding potential, that alone wont get me moving....survival comes first ya know
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Surrey has it's good and bad parts just like any city, and the cost of living varies with these good and bad parts. Depends on how you want to live, but I'd say $50K+ would get you a good living. The good thing about the lower mainland is if you don't mind commuting 1/2 hour or so, you can live pretty much where ever you want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    i'm looking at a job thats located in Surrey and was wondering what are your thoughts about the area or commutable surroundings living wise. Like how nice, cost of living (what you think a decent wage would be to live proper if not modestly), ability to get around, etc. Kinda nervous at the thought of just up-rooting from this god-forsaken province, yet desperatly want to get out at the same time. Thoughts, wisdom and opinions welcome.

And yes you dont need to mention the riding potential, that alone wont get me moving....survival comes first ya know
    I'm not in lower mainland BC, just 15 mins south of the border.

Surrey has a reputation as white-trash land....Vancourites has lots of jokes about Surrey girls, IROCs, mullets, acid-washed jeans, etc. It also has the nickname Slurrey. Also quite abit of Vietnamese and Paki gang activity in those parts. I wouldn't want to live there. All the bads of city life, without the goods. I imagine it's pretty cheap though.

I'd much rather live in Port Moody, Burnaby, New West, Van.

I'd check out the NSMB.com boards....there have been lots of these topics on there
    http://bb.nsmb.com/newforum/search.p...der=descending

Traffic-wise... Hwy 1 is a mess going into Van in the morning, and out of Van in the evening. If you're going the opposite directing, all's clear.

I pulled off living in Van as a bike mechanic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Hey Zedro!

I have to somewhat agree with Thad in that Surrey is not the best place to live in the Lower mainland. If you have a chance it might be better to chose a different location. I would probably look at New Westminster, Coquitlam or Port Coquitlam. They are probably not much more expensive than Surrey yet they offer a better living environment.

I live in New Westminster and 'yes' no matter where you live, traffic is a ***** in rush hour. If it is not rush hour, I get to the shore from New West in about 30 minutes or less.

Regarding expenses, I would say if you make 50K+ is way more than enough to live off of. If you don't have a family and you live quite modestly, I would think 30K is enough.

Pedro,

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by thad
    I wouldn't want to live there. All the bads of city life, without the goods. I imagine it's pretty cheap though.

I'd much rather live in Port Moody, Burnaby, New West, Van.
    hmm, i remember hearing those things when i lived in whistler way back when. I dont mind some travel either; its a construction company so i would be moving around anyways. Had a short stay in NVan...now that was a pretty nice place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro

The areas around Surrey are ok. Delta, Langley, White Rock are all pretty nice (and even Coquitlam and Burnaby will be ok as you will be travelling against the rush hour flow). The commute will depend on what part of Surrey the job is in. Surrey is a very large municipality so where the job is and where you live make a big difference. Surrey itself has some image problems. Often referred to the armpit of Vancouver it can be a bit redneckish. Other areas are pretty nice. I don't travel through Surrey much as I have no need so I cannot offer much in the way of what location is better or worse.

Penny and I live in Burnaby where the housing cost is perhaps a bit higher than Surrey (rental wise at least). But we have a decent basement suite with lots of room for bikes. As DaveT said, 50K would let you live fairly well if you aren't spending a ton on new stuff (cars for example). For rental prices, take a look in the online classifieds (www.myidealhome.com is one for example. http://www.van.net/classified is another).

If you're looking to buy a place here... That is a bit different. I just heard on the radio the other day that housing prices rose 17% in 2004. that being said, the housing market seems to have cooled a bit in recent months.

Other living costs (food, fuel, etc) are probably pretty comparable to where you are now.

Hope this helps. If you have any other more specific questions, I will try to answer them.

Dave

Yummy
    Surrey has the highest auto theft rate in North America.

For more stats, go here: http://www.bcstats.gov.bc.ca/data/sep/lha/lha_36.pdf

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    You have quite a few responses already with good answers. As DaveK said, Surrey is huge so it has both good and not so good areas. For example South Surrey (and White Rock) is quite nice. North Delta is also decent.

Most of the other cities mentioned above also have areas that aren't so great, eg. New West, Vancouver.

Anyway, if you are interested in living out here and already have a good job lined up, I'd say go for it!
    Right now BC has a low unemployment rate that hasn't been seen in something close to 20 years.

Email or PM me if you have any more questions.

mtbr member

Hey Zedro:

Pretty much everyone else summed it up: Work in Surrey, but perhaps live in North Delta, Burnay, Coquitlam or New Westminster. Some parts of Surrey are quite nice, but the price rises also. Surrey (as Dave K mentioned) is a huge municipality - perhaps the second largest or so in the Vancouver lower mainland. It has it's share of IROCs and Mullets, but also it's share of $600,000+ homes and golf courses.

If you're in North Surrey (generally, the worst parts), you can hop on the highway and pretty quickly at be at the North Shore in about 25 minutes or less. South Surrey and North Delta are a bit further away - about 30-40 minutes to the North Shore for riding, but generally better communities. And as other's have mentioned, Burnaby and Coquitlam are good alternatives, though very much residential and not nearly as hip as Vancouver's west side.

30K is pretty minimal for work if you're planning a carreer, but it's a start. 40K will allow you to pay a decent amount of rent while having some fun. Of course, the more the better, but Vancouver seems to have fairly repressed salaries for engineering professionals.

You can send me an e-mail if you have any other questions.

Later,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.