Help! Stuck Maxle- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help! Stuck Maxle

As I've got the day off for Veterans day I decided I would give my bike a nice cleaning and going over as it's very muddy and needs some work. The problem is is that when I went to remove my front wheel to clean and true it, the Maxle is stuck! At first I could not get it to turn (the drive side allen) at all after the brake-side allen was loosened. Afraid of stripping the 6mm bolt out, I removed the skewer and went at the 10mm allen fitting that is inside the Maxle directly. I was able to get it to turn, but instead of the Axle coming loose and screwing out of the drop outs, it just spins in there, and because the brake-side dropout is threaded, it begins to spread the fork lowers outwards. Because of this I'm fairly certain that the Maxle is somehow stuck in the drive-side dropout.

Has this happened to anyone here? How did you get it out?

'All over it!'
    This happened to me about three weeks ago. I took my lyrik to my lBS and it took them a week to remove it. The problem was that the maxle had got stuck inside the hope pro II hub. They eventually got it out and suggested that the maxle be lightly greased. I had to have a new maxle but all is ok now.

I can try to find out exactly how they did it if you like?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    This happened to me about three weeks ago. I took my lyrik to my lBS and it took them a week to remove it. The problem was that the maxle had got stuck inside the hope pro II hub. They eventually got it out and suggested that the maxle be lightly greased. I had to have a new maxle but all is ok now.

I can try to find out exactly how they did it if you like?
    Thanks for the info but I already got it sorted. Same exact thing happened to me. Once I finally got it free there was about 1mm of Al2O3 stuck to the inside of the hub and on the outside of the Maxle.

mtbr member
    Yup, The hub bearings stick to the axle. Always grease your axle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    bump

im pretty sure i have same problem...but just to be sure:

the left side keeps spinning, but doesnt seem like its moving. it spins, so the driveside bolt moves in and out, but the skewer doesnt move out enough for the allen wrench to get a grip on the bolt. pretty sure i stripped something.

is it toast? is it recoverable? new maxle? or all new lowers?

EDIT: fixed! looks like the skewer was stuck. banged her out with a hammer. more proof a hammer will fix anything. ;-)
    Last edited by brillantesdv; 08-21-2009 at 06:43 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0