Help please fine tuning my Avy 5th.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Help please fine tuning my Avy 5th.

I just got back form Avy my 5th. Element after they conversion. I am trying to do "the fine tuning". I ride a Bullit, i weight 140 w/gear, i ride all mountain with fast technical descends, sometimes Deer Valley. do you guys think a 325 spring is ok for my weight? If i want the bike to be more efficient pedaling up hill should I adjust the low speed or hight speed compression?? Clockwise ?? Avy also uses Nitrogen instead of air in the chamber. Do you guys have any experience with Nitrogen?? With air I had to pump it almost every time I rode it. I know that Nitrogen will hold better than air,but how much better??? How long in your experience usually last before it start losing pressure? Thank you so much for your help!!!

Slap happy crappiness
    Spring weight I don't really know. Use this: http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/spring_calculator.aspx
    For pedaling efficiency you'll want to add (usually clockwise) low speed compression. That should help rid you of some pedal bob.
    Nitrogen is more consistent than air under high pressures which is why it's used for tires and shocks in some applications. I can't say either way if it'll leak less. But to charge the nitrogen you'll have to head to your local moto shop.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Have you tried e-mailing Avalanche with your questions? I don't think you should have to worry about the nitrogen, the Avy internals do away with the 5th Element air pressure compression valve, and replace it with speed-sensitive valving, so the nitrogen should only be for the compensator piston that allows for shock fluid expansion with heat. I would ask Craig at Avy before I started asking here...
    "Sarcasm- the body's natural defense against stupid"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I would check with Craig at Avalanche for tuning ideas. I think he ships these conversions almost dialed in. Mine just needed a little playing around with the rebound. Spring is probably ok but again Craig would know best. You'll be very happy with the performance. I run a converted 5th on my Nomad and will be sending one in for my Bullit as well.

mtbr member
    Craig usually sets them up with one turn in of low and high compression and you tune from there. As stated, low speed will prevent bob for climbing so depends on the suspension design. My DW link only needed 1/2 turn while you may need up to 2 turns. Adjust high speed so that big hits feel comfy. Nitrogen leaks less than air but you DO realize that just filling the gauge will cause air readings to be lower and I NEVER had any problems losing air out of my remote resy's on any shock so... YMMV. IAC, if you ride often then refill with N2 annually; otherwise every other year.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thank you so much guys for all the replies!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0