help plan trip to Trestle- Mtbr.com
    I <3 bikes

help plan trip to Trestle

This will be my first mtb trip outside of Texas. Looks like I'll be traveling solo as well. So far the plan is to fly into Denver from Houston; from there I need a little help.

Right now, I'm thinking that 3 days of riding will be more than enough for my first bike park experience. Looking at heading up on the 19th or 20th of September. Trestle 200 class for the first day (half day) then probably rent a park/FR bike for the rest of my stay.

About me: 32 yrs old. Been riding mtb for the last 4 years. Spent this last year riding a 6" AM bike and just recently started dirt jumping with that bike. Biggest jump so far was a 4 foot tall double that I only hit a few times. Def going to spend a fair amount of time increasing my jump skills/confidence before heading up to WP though.

questions:
    1) Other than renting a car, what are my transportation alternatives for getting from Denver to WP?

2) Any recos on where to stay? Doesn't have to be the Ritz. I would like it to be near the mountain I suppose. Restaurants and watering holes near crash pad would be a good thing.

3) Bring my own gear or rent? I have all but goggles, back and chest protection, though, I never wear my elbow guards (fox launch...i hate them).

Any other advice is welcome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    1. no other options. no such thing as a summer ski bus taht i saw.

2.there are cheap rooms on special right now through the resorts webpage. other than that, i know lots of people who have car camped near by. there really is no place to stay in between in my opinion. i stayed in morrison, so about as west denver as you can get.

2a. i ate lunch at the resort. as i live in socal the prices didnt seem high. breakfast was at a mcdonalds on the way in. dinners were back in denver.

3. if you got your own gear bring it. they have quality stuff, but it just adds to the price.

4. if your signing up for a lesson and have any clue how to ride a bike, sign up for the 300/400 class. no one else will sign up and then you get a private lesson essentially for half the price.

5. it rains every afternoon. be ready to get muddy or have some downtime. lighting within X amount of miles shuts the lift down for 30 minutes after the last strike. so i got there right as they opened and went all out till about 2 when the rain started. then i could eat lunch and rest for a hour. then kill it for another hour or so and be good.

i went there by myself as well. you can ride every single trail there easily in two days. if you get instruction ask for Ian. tell him Rowdy says hi. great racer and even better instructor.

any other questions? here is my vid from 4 weeks ago.
    <iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KICY0VcrNG4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    1. None that I can think of.

2. The Vintage, right next to the lift. The Beaver Village motel is probably the cheapest, but kind of run down.

3. Bring gear. Used helmets are gross.

If you are riding 3 days, you could do a day at Sol Vista, 10 minutes away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I was there a few weeks back and did a class. If you have XC and dirt jump experience just go right to the 300 class. I'm much older than you and my experience is strictly XC. 300 worked great for me.

My suggestions:
    1. Do the 300 class.
    2. My instructor's name was Brandon. His background is DH racing and now instruction. I thought he did a great job. I was told some of the instructors don't teach jumping techniques. I didn't have any back ground with it and he helped me a lot.
    3. I rode the dual crowned bikes. 1st day with a Kona then the rest of the trip on a demo level bike. Happened to be a Specialized Demo 8. Whether you get a dual or single crown spend the money on the upgrade.
    4. I read about deals on the resort website that were fairly cheap. If you're going ultra cheap there's the Beaver Valley Lodge. But be WARNED... There's also other options. Best Western,etc. I also thought I saw one of those rent a bed places in Frasier.
    5. If you make bike rentals or lesson reservations at least the day before you'll get a discount by calling in. It's worth the effort.
    6. Rainmaker is an absolute must ride. If you take class with Brandon he'll use it for jump practice if you ask.
    7. At the base, up by the ice cream shop, is a pizza joint. Really good.
    8. With a rental you'll get full pads, compression suit, gloves and helmet. Us them all. Don't be a hero on your first time DH'ing.. You won't pedal much, unless you stay on the greens, so they aren't that big a deal. Brandon didn't use the compression suit but he basically had almost all the equivalent pads. This guy has a ton of experience. If he uses them well.... Most everyone you see will have them on as well..
    9. The toughest technical trails are the Trestle and BeAllUCanB. Other than those 2 get on the blacks as soon as you can. They're not that bad. And they're a hell of a lot of fun.
    10. Don't let your guard down on the easier trails. You'll end up hurt like I did. Double root drop at the top of Long Trail is a b**ch. Be careful there...

You're going to have a blast. Post up when you get back..

OH YAH....This is the best tip...On the way out of town toward Frasier there's a Shell station on the left. They have a small store and delli. They also have the BEST beer selection in town. You can pick 6 Colorado Micro Brews of your choice and make your own 6 pack for like $10. They had quite a few to choose from.

eat your porridge jordie
    This is a good thread for me as well, I'm leaving tomorrow evening for the long drive up there. We're doing 2 days in Trestle and then 2 days in Sol Vista for the Sol survivor. WICKED STOKE!
    "If you want to do something ordinary people can't, you have to be willing to do what ordinary people won't"

mtbr member
    Just got back from my first trip to Trestle racing the Enduro DH (also from Texas...Houston). Great trip.

Looks like you are from Katy. Check Frontier for flights out of Hobby. We got round trip tickets for under $200.

We stayed at Zephyr right at the base. It is relatively expensive if you book through the resort but location is hard to beat. We booked through winterpark lodging company & had no complaints. They were half the price of booking through the resort. Winter Park Lodging Company (website is marginal, but they are a good management and leasing company)
    Downside is you do have to pay in advance. If it fits the budget you are not going to find a better location. Plus if it rains, its not far to the room and easy to get back to the lifts after the rain.

Warm up on green world or Shy Ann. Rainmaker is a must. Coming from Houston, first time down will seem insane, then will be an absolute blast.

There are a number of restaurants right at the base. If you ride hard all day, keep in mind most shut down at 8:30 and can be earlier if weather is bad. (Lime closed at 6:00 on the Sunday we were there due to rain ...I am assuming). You can drive to town for a few more options otherwise.

Where's the chair lift?

Good job!

I just got back from riding the Trestle 2.5 weeks ago from Houston as well. Spent 5 days up in the area with a buddy from Denver. Had a great time riding! Took my own dh bike as well packed in a Trico Iron Case. The last 10+ years had been trips to Whistler for 2 weeks but this year it was just much cheaper and easier to meet up with an old buddy that hits Trestle up almost every other weekend if not every weekend. lol I flew on Southwest out of Hobby for $159 round trip and $100 to haul my bike round trip on the plane. Kept the bike box under 80lbs. All was smooth and fun as could be! Hung out at Deno's in Winter Park each nite as well for happy hour. Anyway, it was the cheapest flight with my bike for vacation in a long time. $259.00 for the round trip with bike included!

Anyway, I was looking at the same things you are asking here so I could try to hit up Trestle the last weekend before they close for the season the week after I get back from I-bike.. But it comes out to be to expensive going with my bike alone to ride since my buddy in Denver is out of town the days prior and wouldn't be able to pick me up haul both of us to WP and then drop me off at the airport etc.. Altitude did kick my ass no doubt! Even though i hit the spin bike at the gym for 2.5 months for 40 mins 3-4 days a week. lol I was sucking wind for the 1st 3 days. Then i started to have fun towards the end of course.

We stayed at the Valley Hi motel in Winter Park and the owners were very nice. They usually offer discounts to bike riders as well. Will stay there again nest visit.

Anyway, I will be interested in seeing the rest or any further replies or ideas here. So, I can have plans again for next summer! Planning for WP and Whistler next summer.

PS. Id say if you have your own gear, take it and have insurance too! LOL Travel insurance to cover you bike/luggage in case it gets lost on the plane etc. Airline usually only responsible for like $3k in lost baggage replacement cost.

Also if you hit McDonalds @ 10:15am or so they may not have breakfast anymore. We got there one day at 10:30am and they told us they were not making breakfast anymore and were changing to lunch. we were like What?? Other people were walking out.. LOL

Have fun and enjoy the awesome temperatures up there! I was spoiled being up there and then coming back to our HELL of heat here.
    My MTB Ride: 2011 Intense M9 Other bike: 09 KX450F

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    If you shop the condos right across the street (Fraser Crossing) you can find smoking deals.

We got a ground level condo with parking / bike storage that slept 8 for $90/night. Two minute walk to the lifts.

They also run a deal that includes bike/armor/helmet and lift pass for around $100/day.

We decided to rent simply b/c of cost and convenience.

You'll have a blast!

banned
    Oct 2004
    You might want to throw this question up on the CO/Front Range forum also. Just be ready for a lot of trash-talking

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Denver to WIP (Frasier) = amtrak. might not be super cheap, but it does pass through.

be prepared for afternoon rains, we were washed out around 1pm on my last trip in July. Did not open back up either.

Have fun, wear protection!

Where's the chair lift?

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    You might want to throw this question up on the CO/Front Range forum also. Just be ready for a lot of trash-talking
    Hahahaha!! Yeah, I am hear you on that one. LOL Ive read over there and seen the trash talking. In fun in most cases.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If you've been riding for four years, and have some experience, even a little jumping. There is NO reason you should waste your money on the Trestle 200 class. I'm sure it's great first MTB'ers who've only been riding for a few months, but seriously, it's beginner stuff.

Anyhow, unless you are going to hit some seriously huge jumps/drops to flat, I see no reason why your 6" travel bike won't be more than enough to tackle it. One of my buddies took a 575 out there this year (the old version) and he was hitting all the jumps with ease on Rainmaker, and we've never been there before (we're from Chicago). I rode a Transition Preston 5" travel bike, and I was completely fine. All of this with a 140mm fork.

Save yourself some money and don't take the class, and don't rent a bike. Use it on an extra day there or something.

All in all, Winter Park/Trestle is fantastic, but don't think that it's some huge free-ride park. Theres some big stuff, but I wouldn't think you'd be attempting those kinds of things on your first visit anyways.

Where's the chair lift?

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by dl1030 View Post
    Denver to WIP (Frasier) = amtrak. might not be super cheap, but it does pass through.

be prepared for afternoon rains, we were washed out around 1pm on my last trip in July. Did not open back up either.

Have fun, wear protection!
    Hahaha! Yeah, one of the days we had some thunderstorms roll in about 3pm and it got windy and then the hail came! LOL We watched the guys going up on the lift putting their helmets back on. No lightning so the lift kept running. Day one we had rain for the drive up to WP.

Hmm.. Amtrak.. I did keep hearing the train horns when coming to the end of the run.

Also Have Fun Wearing Protection! Now this can work for extra curricular activities as well. Have tons of fun!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Agree on taking 300-400 level classes if you feel comfortable at all taking jumps/drops/rock gardens/heavy braking. 200 is more for learning how to start doing dumb stuff.

as a heads up, these classes do not fill up everyday. Ask when you are checking in how many people are signed up for each class and then pick. the GF got a private class for the 200 level

how the levels were described to us.

100=new to biking
    200=know how to bike, but afraid (not sure how) to do dumb stuff
    300=comfortable jumping, aggressive bike skills
    400=fine tune-age of skills

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Oh, someone mention McDonalds. I really recommend you go the Subway there. Yeah, I know it's just a Subway but the owner is SUPER nice, and the breakfast stuff was always pretty fresh. It's the same guy that owns the Subway in Grand Lake.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The Chicago-style hot dog place (Fraser Valley Hot Dog) is the bomb. Cheap and awesome....right across the street from McDonald's! (next to Deno's)
    Last edited by ATX_FJ; 08-31-2011 at 08:25 AM.

mtbr member
    No need for a class at trestle, try it out the first day then decide from there. My GF took to that place and it was her first time riding a mountain bike. She was even railing the wall rides and jumping rainmaker in a couple days, I know thatís not impressive to most guys but considering that it was her first time, it impressed the hell out of me.
    A group of my buddies and I stayed there a month ago. I rented a condo for about 100 a night and it was about 5-10 minutes from the park... sleeps 10, 2 story, dvd player, plasma TV, Jacuzzi, 2 1/2 bathrooms, huge 1 car garage, sun deck, lounge chairs, washer dryer, very nice kitchen... this place had it all.

They had a nice selection of bikes there for renting, a TON of Konas and some Santa Cruzs... I wish I had a doh to try out that driver 8 they had

I <3 bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by ATX_FJ View Post
    The Chicago-style hot dog place (Fraser Valley Hot Dog) is the bomb. Cheap and awesome....right across the street from McDonald's! (next to Deno's)
    Def going to try some of that

I <3 bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by marshalsmith26 View Post
    OH YAH....This is the best tip...On the way out of town toward Frasier there's a Shell station on the left. They have a small store and delli. They also have the BEST beer selection in town. You can pick 6 Colorado Micro Brews of your choice and make your own 6 pack for like $10. They had quite a few to choose from.
    Excellent. Can I get those onto an airplane?
    Also, thanks for the heads up regarding the easier trails. That's the kinda **** happens to me.

I <3 bikes
    Wow, I thought I was going to get a ton of smart-ass replies from this forum! Thanks for all of the helpfull replies! I did post in the Colorado forum as well, but only received one reply and it was helpful.

Going to start looking into the hotels/condos mentioned along with amtrak vs rental car.
    Looks like 300 level class is what I'll be taking. Jumps/drops/heavy braking sounds fun! If I was going up with riders that are familiar with Trestle (or DH riding in general), I probably would not bother with paying for instruction, but I'm going alone and feel like it is in my best interest.
    Good tip on the travel insurance if I decide to take my bike with me. I have health insurance and am going to check my out of state coverage.
    I'm riding a 2009 Felt Compulsion 3: 69* HA w/ 140mm Pike dual air, 150mm rear travel via Float R, SLX brakes 180/160, dual ring front with guide and bash ring, kona wah wah pedals. Take it with or leave it in Texas? If I take it, will my 2.2 WTB Wolverine tires work well enough?

To you Houston area riders: Any of you ride Terry Hershey Park(anthills)? Only trail I'll ride in Houston. If you see me out there, stop and say hi. White Felt Compulsion, I'm viet/irish mix. Some say I look asian and some say I look Mexican. Always wearing dk green and black baggy shorts (endura).

How well do you guys cope with the altitude change coming from Houston? I remember getting my ass kicked when I went snowboarding in NM, but that was back when I didn't ride (12 yrs ago).
    Last edited by svmike; 09-03-2011 at 08:23 AM.

I <3 bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by kubo View Post
    A group of my buddies and I stayed there a month ago. I rented a condo for about 100 a night and it was about 5-10 minutes from the park... sleeps 10, 2 story, dvd player, plasma TV, Jacuzzi, 2 1/2 bathrooms, huge 1 car garage, sun deck, lounge chairs, washer dryer, very nice kitchen... this place had it all.
    Please PM me that info!!!!

I <3 bikes
    not looking good at this point. Looking at over $800 for the trip. I could probably knock the price down if I take my own bike, though, I really want to try other bikes. If I had someone to split some of the cost with, it wouldn't be so bad. If anybody wants to split a hotel room or car rental let me know.
    Anybody willing to give me a lift from Denver Int. Airport to WP and back (will pay)?

Slopestyle Rider
    If you take a lesson, ask for Brendon Newton or Shad Oehler... and go 300 if you can ride a bit. I work there so PM me if you have any questions.

Joel

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by svmike View Post
    not looking good at this point. Looking at over $800 for the trip. I could probably knock the price down if I take my own bike, though, I really want to try other bikes. If I had someone to split some of the cost with, it wouldn't be so bad. If anybody wants to split a hotel room or car rental let me know.
    Anybody willing to give me a lift from Denver Int. Airport to WP and back (will pay)?
    i live about 3.5 hours NW of denver. been riding bmx/road bikes since i was little but pretty much new to mtb. just got myself a 2011 remedy 9 about 2 months ago. used to ride a hardtail (GF piranha) + clip-ons. just this labor day weekend, decided to go to trestle by myself, as i always do when i ride since i could not find any body to ride along. not because i dont have friends but its because my job transfers me to places very often (travelling physical therapist). anyway, when i got there i swapped my clip-on with a shinamo dx and bought me a pair of 510's. man it was a bad idea. first time at trestle + first time flats = kiss the ground + scraped dermis (along shy ann). i could not keep my feet on the pedals at all. went back yesterday with large band aids on my calf and braved to ride rain maker. i think i did good except that i wanted to have more airtime on my jumps. bottom line if you still want to go, i am willing to share the expenses with you. what dates are you going again? this is also a good opportunity for me to improve my dh/fr skills. pm me.
    btw, almost everybody asked me if i am a native indian or mexican, which i dont take offense at all. well i am a filipino with little dh/fr skills but with practice, who knows what i can learn?