help a noob upgrade his bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

help a noob upgrade his bike

Here's the specs for my bike, is tehre any simple things i can do to cut down some of the weight. oh and i know the fork and rear shock are terrible and am in the process of upgrading that. I just bought this bike for less than $500 and i love the geometry of the frame, so rather than buy a whole new bike i wanna try and upgrade a little bit.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...jiki&Type=bike
    Last edited by fighterkyle; 03-27-2008 at 06:05 PM.
    Wounds heal, but going big is forever

I'M A CHEAPSKATE
    link no workie
    dowst: Got a little cavalier with good old eBay did we?

CABDOCTOR, now available with more flava than Kool-Aid

mtbr member
    Wounds heal, but going big is forever

_
    There's a lot of little things you can do to save weight.

Bars, stem, seat, seatpost, pedals etc.

What you feel most though is rotational weight. so, even though it's usually expensive, getting a lighter wheelset/tire combo is where you'd really notice weight loss. Idealy you'd loose the most weight going tubeless with an expensive wheelset/tire combo. But, if you shop around you can usually find some pretty light tires to use with your current setup. I just went from INTENSE dh 2.35's to folding WTB mutano raptor 2.4's on my FR rig. saved about a pound of rotational weight on each tire. super stoked about it. feels awesome. the downside is super thin sidewalls. so, I may be walking my bike down the mountain on a run soon and cursing at these new tires some time soon. but. still. good for now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    maybe a new fork? Preferably a 66 or a 55? I +1 at slothoncanvas' post. But if you are on a budget, just change small things. Or brakes.
    2007 Ironhorse Yakuza Aniki
    Soon to be bought:Blk Mrkt .357,BB7's, Simtra Bars/Stem, Specialized Pro Mag 2 Pedals

StraightOuttaCompton
    tires make the biggest difference of all. I just switched mine and i lost around 2lb and also gained better rolling resistance(less).
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee
    tires make the biggest difference of all. I just switched mine and i lost around 2lb and also gained better rolling resistance(less).
    Woah YOU lost 2 pounds? Fat people should all switch tires on their bikes! lol just kiddin.
    2007 Ironhorse Yakuza Aniki
    Soon to be bought:Blk Mrkt .357,BB7's, Simtra Bars/Stem, Specialized Pro Mag 2 Pedals

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Djponee

what tires did you switch from/to

Members who have read this thread: 0