Help Need to decide on FR bike before christmas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Help Need to decide on FR bike before christmas

HELP!!!!!!!!
    I have to get a bike before christmas. !!!!!!! I have 2200 to spend. I want a good FR/DH bike that will climb without to much work. I was thinking of the cannondale gemini 900 or 2000 if i can get a cheap one from a bike shop in akron ohio. Or maybe a kona coiler. Does anyone have another sugestion?? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bike Hoor
    How about a nice, used 2004 Yeti ASX for $1850

Seriously, a used bike may be a better value... especially one that had to share time all summer with another bike in a riders stable.
    Pedalling the goods since 2002.
    http://www.boutiquebikes.com

go big or go home
    Quote Originally Posted by inspecter horse
    HELP!!!!!!!!
    I have to get a bike before christmas. !!!!!!! I have 2200 to spend. I want a good FR/DH bike that will climb without to much work. I was thinking of the cannondale gemini 900 or 2000 if i can get a cheap one from a bike shop in akron ohio. Or maybe a kona coiler. Does anyone have another sugestion?? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    damn lifes so hard, aint it? you gotta decide what to do with $2200 bucks....geez

Get off yer arse and on yere bike!

go big or go home
    seriously tho id research and find something you will like, hit a shop and try out some bikes

Get off yer arse and on yere bike!

your mom
    i would go used, just make sure you can look at it in person before you buy it

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Get the Weyless from Supergo and spend the other $1200 on expensive liquor, easy women, and fast horses

mtbr member

Easy

For 1900 u could get urself a BRAND SPANKIN NEW stinky. Great bike, very versitle, eaislt upgradeable.
    chode1: dude I cant nail that road gap
    jong2: yah dude.
    chode2: dudes, if we had a team...
    jong1: yeah just like on that Disney movie!
    chode1: chix would dig it and wed get layd
    chode2: everyone except you that is
    jong2: yeah lets be the Paris Hilton Death Squad
    chode2: PHOQUE YEAH!
    chorus: TIME TO DO THE ROAD GAP!

Origionally posted bygonzostrike

mtbr member
    HELP!!!!!!!!

Hey if you are in Akron come on up to Ray's MTBike park there is a Haro DHR (it is the same as an Intense M1) for sale as well as a Santa Cruz Super 8 for sale. They are within you buget too. I can get the contact info for you tonight when i ride there if you want let me know.

Team Sanchez
    Hey inspect her horse,

I say stick with the Kona Coiler, or Coiler deluxe!

locked - time out
    My vote is that you pick up an old Trek 830 for about $100 and ride the hell out of it for the next 4 months - at that point you should know exactly what type / brand of bike you want and will not have to rely on soliciting information from a bunch of strangers.

Either way, good luck and congrats on your new bike.

New project, TBA shortly
    Quote Originally Posted by s1ngletrack
    My vote is that you pick up an old Trek 830 for about $100 and ride the hell out of it for the next 4 months - at that point you should know exactly what type / brand of bike you want and will not have to rely on soliciting information from a bunch of strangers.

Either way, good luck and congrats on your new bike.
    yup, take your time and do it right. test-ride as much as you can, a 7" bullit is going to ride differently than a 7" stinky which will ride differently than a 7" big hit, and that's just 7" eXXtreme FR models. A coiler/heckler/etc 5" model will be even more different. Test as many as you can, 2200 will get you a sweet setup, so choose wisely.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby
    Get the Weyless from Supergo and spend the other $1200 on expensive liquor, easy women, and fast horses
    as your first bike this may be the best way to go........easy women and booze are real nice too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    well i a ready ride a s works hardtail but have been getting more and more into dh wich has resulted in me taking a big fall and breaking my collerbone. I m actually situated in Irelland but i might be going over to akron or getting someone over there to get the bike for me??? What are the details of that bike park ? Do you have the prices? Rember i have to pedal up hill as well so the stinky might be heavy? and im out till febuary so test riding out of the picture

Generation X freerider
    look at the new orange 66, its got a lot of travel, a triple chainring, and all that jazz, its sweet, yup, search for it on google or something, as everyone says" my 2 cents"

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    ye but its to exspensive . What about the wyless 69 or whatever it is on supergo . Looks the same as a bullit and its cheap. Any one have on i ve heard bad things about frame cracking etc

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    well its sold out from supergo so helppppp. Id like as cheap as possible . So a gemini 900 is pushing it . Anyone no of a cheap 04 gemini 2000 in a bike shop in akron . Or any other suggestions. Leaning towards coiler because of value and pedaling ability.

Glad to Be Alive
    stinky is not too heavy to pedal
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    it is when your not fit enough . 40 pounds plus is too much.

your mom
    im sure if you got a 40lb+ bike you would get in shape pretty quick

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    im sure i would but it will be my only bike so it will have to be doing the odd epic

mtbr member
    im sure i would but it will be my only bike so it will have to be doing the odd epic
    I felt the same way...
    I ended up getting a stinky and it pedals great, and as of now 75% of my riding is done by me pedaling to the top so it definetley works. You begin not to care so much you will want even more bike ( Demo9, yeah im getting one too) and i will also be pedaling that too, so id say take a chance
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

inner peace to make peace

Kona Coiler is mere $1600

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    Hey inspect her horse,

I say stick with the Kona Coiler, or Coiler deluxe!
    Coiler is mere $1600 and to think i was going to spend $850 get a AM1 fork installed on my hardtail...

2004 Boxxer fork's now under $400 + tax + shipping and install, which a Coiler can take if you wanted later to do dhr or fr...
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

New project, TBA shortly
    hardtail? (hhahaha, just to throw something ELSE into the mix) Have you given thoughts to a nice beefy hardtail with a 6" fork? I'm back in love with the FR hardtail again, and have been doing everything that I used to do on my bullit. can be built up light (mine's 34 pounds), good pedaling, and probably better for large drops to flat (not recommended regardless) as you can rear-wheel it and shift your weight back as you come down (like a trials rider). would definitely be stronger than something like the Coiler... FS designs aren't quite as good at this as your rear suspension will compress leaving you with a VERY slack head angle when you slap the front wheel down.

I was in your position a couple years ago, was getting into FR and old XC HT wasn't going to cut it. Got an XC bullit (5" fork, XC rims, 32lbs) and within a year had replaced just about everything on it to bigger, beefier parts (DH wheelset, super T fork, shorter stem, DH handlebars, etc). Looking back I would've rather gotten a full on heavy FR bike, as upgrading is $$$, but didn't know that at the time...

The only thing that I don't like about it is fast DH runs... not sure what kind of mtns you have in Ireland or whether you're traveling to the Alps for DH'ing, but if you're more of the FR instead of the DH type, then a HT might work for you.

mtbr member
    Specialized Enduro Trail SX is supposed to kick ass this year. My buddy likes it.

Pro Crastinator
    KONA FOO.....

shaved yeti

I vote coiler

Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    Specialized Enduro Trail SX is supposed to kick ass this year. My buddy likes it.
    If you gotta do an epic on a bike but still want it to FR, go coiler not stinky. As for the Enduro, are those things allowed to leave the ground? Just messin'.

Coiler comes in at $35 and is $1600. Great for big drops and good times.

I would avoid spending your $600 on loose women, but if you do, be sure to spend $300 and save the other half for some Valtrex.

mtbr member
    well i a ready ride a s works hardtail but have been getting more and more into dh wich has resulted in me taking a big fall and breaking my collerbone. I m actually situated in Irelland but i might be going over to akron or getting someone over there to get the bike for me??? What are the details of that bike park ? Do you have the prices? Rember i have to pedal up hill as well so the stinky might be heavy? and im out till febuary so test riding out of the picture
    Definetly let me know when you are coming up. We can hook up and ride the park. The park is very very cool. I am riding there in about an hour I will get the prices for you. I can tell you that the Haro and Santa Cruz bikes are full on DH bikes... very heavy.