Help with my brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Help with my brakes

I have a shimano deore 2010 brakes with alligator ceramic pads and and alligator sarlite 203mm disc and they didnīt brake at all. I already rebleed them, go to a hill a went down using my brakes some times, clean the pads and discs with alcohol but they didnt brake. I took them to 2 of my LBS and they tell me that everything is OK . What can I do?

injured reserve list
    Is the lever pulling all the way to the handlebar? Both front and rear? What kind of fluid did you bleed them with? Details might help us help you
    You're not entitled to anything until you work hard and earn it. CMQ

I think we should go back
    Nov 2008
    yeah, you should type something up explaining what happens specifically when you pull the lever, not just, "they don't brake."

Glad to Be Alive
    are pads touching but not grabbing??? Need more details
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    assuming here that you used mineral oil and not dot fluid,,,,, did you remove your pads when you bled the caliper... you could have possibly contaminated the pads. did you wind out your lever reach and pad contact dials before bleeding. ...

Underskilled
    For a start I think that shimano brakes up to and including XT are not very powerful.

What type of alcohol did you clean them with?

What procedure did you use to bed them in?

Have you touched either to rotor or pads with your fingers or spily any oil on them?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The brakes have good preasure, the pads make good contact with the disc, I bleed them with shimanoīs mineral oil (I have made this lots of times in the past). I did exactly the same that i do every time that i change my pads but this time i put new rotors and pads, i ride them like 10 miles down without over heating the system but they just donīt brake to day i try exactly the same but this time i clean the system with brake contact cleaner and pass some sand paper to the pads but they just donīt want to brake... did some one has used the alligator TiNi rotors with ceramic pads before???

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by karolicki View Post
    The brakes have good preasure, the pads make good contact with the disc, I bleed them with shimanoīs mineral oil (I have made this lots of times in the past). I did exactly the same that i do every time that i change my pads but this time i put new rotors and pads, i ride them like 10 miles down without over heating the system but they just donīt brake to day i try exactly the same but this time i clean the system with brake contact cleaner and pass some sand paper to the pads but they just donīt want to brake... did some one has used the alligator TiNi rotors with ceramic pads before???
    not sure still but try new pads...they might be contaminated
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Sounds like a rotor thickness problem. Check the specs for min thickness...some shimano require 2.0 thick rotors and other systems use lower like 1.7. I had the same issue using shimano w/hayes rotors iirc.

maker of trail
    If everything else on the brake seems fine, ie proper bleed and clean pads then its probably a combination of hardly any contact area on that disk, with cheap brake pads = not much power... You'd be surprised how much difference full pad contact on a disk makes, those thin spidery rotors look cool, but if you want good brake power, you need contact area = full rotor like hayes V8 rotor for example.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If you've bled them and the power loss is that drastic, it won't be solved by switching pads out unless your current pads are totally worn down to <.5mm. It may be a rotor track problem - mark your whole rotor surface up with a magic marker, then brake a few times and see waht disappears. Shimano are designed for a smaller track area than others.

Especially considering the design of that starlite rotor...if you're only touching the top tips.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Did the brakes come work fine with the stock rotor & brake pad setup?

The reason I ask is because I had a really crappy experience with Alligator pads years ago on my XT discs. With stock or Koolstop pads they work great, with Alligator pads they stopped about as well as sidepull brakes, which is to say I probably could've stopped faster by dragging my shoes on the ground.