Help me pick a new frame for these parts....- Mtbr.com
    Some dude who digs bikes

Help me pick a new frame for these parts....

OK, so I have all the parts for a 7" travel free ride bike, but no frame. Here's what I've got:

'07 66 SL1 ATA (1 1/8"),
    1 1/8" headset, or 1.5 with converter for my fork (i.e. either frame type is OK),
    Juicy 7's,
    Mavic 823 UST on hopes,
    Saint cranks w/ bash,
    x9 F/R der.,
    and various other minor parts -- a full kit's worth.

Now I need a frame. I spent way too much on bikes last year , so I'd like to keep it to about $1200 or less (if your fav. frame is a little more, I'll consider).

This is going to be a bigger FR bike, but one I can pedal. I have a DH bike and a blur 4x, so it doesn't really have to excel at any extremes, it just needs to be a fun huckster that I can climb on and still go pretty fast downhill on. I want to run a coil on it too. If it could carry speed through big rock gardens, that would be a plus too....

Any ideas????

I think I already know a few bikes that may be popular, but if they are already mentioned and you like them, put your vote up anyway....

N* Bomber Crew
    Mmm...Morewood Shova LT.

Not sure about the bike's climbing abilities, so I'm not sure if this is the best recommendation for you, but you said you already know the big name frames like the Demo 7, 7Point7, or some Transition B.S.

I like the Shova, single pivot will feel really good on DH. I guess if you want better climbing capabilities then go with a Shova ST.

Either way I recommend a Shova. Morewood makes great bikes, and the Single Pivot is really hassle free. The bearing replacement on there is really simple. I guess if you pair your Shova with a pedal friendly shock then you should be okay!
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

EastBaySteez
    SX trail, 7point. Those are the only bikes I'd ever take for FR.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Some dude who digs bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Mmm...Morewood Shova LT....
    OK, it's on the list. I'm not very familiar with Morewood, but some friends recommended them last week also. I saw one out in fontucky last weekend, and it did look pretty cool. I'll be hitting up their website soon....

Some dude who digs bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Yeah, the 7point is on the list too. Lots o' people seem to love them. I met someone sessioning the trail on one today, and he was all smiles...

How much do the sx trails go for?

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by motormonkeyr6
    Then thats a pretty mainstream list...

No Turner Highline? Foes Fly? Versus Trigger/Blitz? Morewood Shova LT/ST? Santa Cruz Bullit? Cannondale Perp?

I mean, those are nice bikes and all, but man, its like these boards online know who Santa Cruz, Iron Horse, Specialized and Transition are...

a tight kick sound
    Nicolai UFO ST!!!
    I know where you can find one for the price you mention...or at least very close
    I loved mine. Sweetest little bike I have ever had. Had er set up with air and air at 36 lbs and it ripped. Nice tight compact geo, super low seat tube for moving around and nice low BB.
    Travel adjusts between 6.5 and 8 inches of travel in the rear. Can take just about any shock or fork. 1.5 HT standard.
    Ability to be built as a little ripper for the parks or a big mountain racer.

Some dude who digs bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by boone
    Nicolai UFO ST!!!
    I know where you can find one for the price you mention...or at least very close
    I loved mine....
    If you know of a deal, I'm all ears... PM me if you can't broadcast...

Nice pics. Why did you get rid of yours?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I vote SX Trail or Demo 7
    Go BIG or Go HOME

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steez
    OK, it's on the list. I'm not very familiar with Morewood, but some friends recommended them last week also. I saw one out in fontucky last weekend, and it did look pretty cool. I'll be hitting up their website soon....
    If you're in socal why not rock a Turner Highline? Turner's located maybe an hour south of Fontucky, and locals always the way to go. Plus, Turner makes some great bikes.
    EDIT: Check it, Turner's blowing out a highline.
    http://turnerbikes.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=102
    Last edited by GnaR9; 02-16-2008 at 07:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    In your price range, check out the Giant Reign X or get a sponsorship from Morewood (I've seen beginner racers ride for them) and get the Shova LT.

Some dude who digs bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by GnaR9
    If you're in socal why not rock a Turner Highline? Turner's located maybe an hour south of Fontucky, and locals always the way to go. Plus, Turner makes some great bikes.
    Turners are great. My dh rig is an older dhr.... But, I just got a new bike in December, and wasn't planning to spend any more for a while. It's a little out of my price range, I guess. But then it is cheaper than I expected... warning, slippery slope ahead!!

StraightOuttaCompton
    Shova LT or the UFO
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Some dude who digs bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lollapalooza
    In your price range, check out the Giant Reign X or get a sponsorship from Morewood (I've seen beginner racers ride for them) and get the Shova LT.
    I've been looking at the reign x too, or even the fr glory.....

Now I know why I saw that built up morewood for so cheap last weekend.... lol. Great deal for a complete bike, though; but I already have the kit....

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by steez
    I've been looking at the reign x too, or even the fr glory.....

Now I know why I saw that built up morewood for so cheap last weekend.... lol. Great deal for a complete bike, though; but I already have the kit....
    Idk how cheap it could have been considering the Izimu frame im getting retails for 2600 bucks.

Get a Shova w/ a DHX 5 coil. or any other platform shock and it will pedal great.

EastBaySteez
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptordude
    Then thats a pretty mainstream list...

No Turner Highline? Foes Fly? Versus Trigger/Blitz? Morewood Shova LT/ST? Santa Cruz Bullit? Cannondale Perp?

I mean, those are nice bikes and all, but man, its like these boards online know who Santa Cruz, Iron Horse, Specialized and Transition are...
    I dislike single pivits in general. THe Versus Trigger/Bliz are nice but just dont feel "right" to me. Foes... Well I dont have the funds to try one.

I really enjoy my 7point, it pedals nicely and jumps great. The SX trail is an amazing bike. I know they are mainstream but they are kick ass.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Just to note; depending on your rear hub you have the suggestions have been bouncing between 135 and 150mm rear spacing... No Highline or Iron Horse or Glory if you don't have the 150 hub.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

Dr Phil mmkay
    Transition Dirtbag or Blindside!

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Just to note; depending on your rear hub you have the suggestions have been bouncing between 135 and 150mm rear spacing... No Highline or Iron Horse or Glory if you don't have the 150 hub.
    Very good point! Also double check BB Shell Size, Seat Post Size etc. Those are all pretty cheap items but it wouldn't make sense to buy them again.

Check out the new Morewood Mbuzi: http://www.morewoodbikes.com/bikes/2008/mbuzi/tech.html

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Commencal Furious?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebomber
    Commencal Furious?
    Good luck getting one for $1200.

a tight kick sound
    Man there are all kinds of really great options in this category. Actually pretty cool!

All great suggestions.

One suggestion that has not come up yet is the banshee wildcard. That little bike is pretty sweet. I personally don't have any ride time on one but the geo looks stellar. Maybe a little out of the price range though...but not by much!

http://content.mtbr.com/TRP_14_348_5crx.aspx

Some dude who digs bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Thanks Cliffy and Raptor. My hub is 135, so I'd have to spend extra to go with a 150. The whole point is to not let this creep into an expensive endeavor. I also just found out that I may not have the funds for this purchase until taxes are resolved anyway But that's only a few weeks of a delay, so keep the suggestions coming

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    you gotta go with a dirtbag...1250 for a frame with a dhx 5.0. those parts are gonna look alot like my build

SILENCE! I KILL YOU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    Good luck getting one for $1200.
    how much are those things anyway? the VIP (frame only) version?
    Hunter, Simmons, Berrecloth, Watson,Vanderham, Semenuk, Schley, Gulevich, Bourdon, Smith, Moreland, Shandro, Boyko... Bieber.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    bti says the furious retail is 2800...so a tad more than their 1200

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    dirtbag or blindside, already suggested but they need emphasis

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    the banshee wildcard looks pretty rad, with an air shock it should be reasonably light, little pricey though, about 1600..... pinkbike is covering a build of one. should check that out. I'm diggin the mongoose khyber frames but good luck finding just the frame. you can find the whole bike for about 1600.... with a 55 up front and some decent kit you could sell off or just keep, thats at jensonusa.com.

whats the hub spacing on your wheels???

The Beaver
    as it has been said, the dirtbag would make a nice choice, although I think the bottlerocket would be pretty sweet also with those specs...
    Specialized P.1
    Specialized Demo

Jackalope Hunter
    Dirtbag... Great frame, priced right.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

Members who have read this thread: 0