Help me pick a Full face helmet- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help me pick a Full face helmet

I've been riding MTB for quite a few years and I'm starting to do a bit more downhill/free ride. Nothing crazy, but a full face just makes sense. I also have plans to get a trials motorcycle, so a helmet with good airflow at low speeds would be much appreciated compared to what I have now for the moto.

What helmets are top notch. I'm looking for something lite with great visibility and airflow and comfort. I'm willing to spend a decent amount of coin, but a good value is also a major consideration.

TIA, for any input.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've owned a Giro Remedy, Fox V3r(no longer made) and Troy Lee D3. Favorite by far has been the D3. I've never noticed any of them getting overly hot while riding. D3 was my favorite though because of the way it fit, felt the most secure and definitely the most comfortable with no pressure points. The fit and finish was better than the others as well, seems built to last. Everyone's dome is different though, so if you can try some on in person I would encourage it. I don't like overly "shouty" helmet graphics, which can be a problem with Troy Lee products. I like the new Fox Rampage Pro helmets for their understated paint schemes and the shell shape looks awesome, seems to be well made like the D3 also. If money isn't really a consideration, I would look at previous model year D3's and Rampage Pro's.

mtbr member
    Try them on before you decide, and be honest in regards to comfort and fit.

If you are like most people, you probably kinda want to hear that the D3 is the sweetest helmet ever and you would be a fool not to get it. It is indeed stylish, and is well built. It is a very good helmet in all aspects, BUT if it doesn't cradle your head properly, it is not a good helmet at all. Other brands like Fox's new helmet are incredibly light and also seem to be of high quality. Even the inexpensive 661 helmets are great helmets, and you won't have to take out a mortgage on your home if you crash and have to get a new one. Their carbon models are actually really nice helmets. Just go to a shop and try a few on. Take your time. Spend enough time with each one on to see what you like and don't like about each model. And then do what everyone else does and get the D3
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    A big disadvantage for me is that I live in an area where nobody stocks any serious Downhill stuff. We have a local club and a private free-ride park, but that is about it. No local retail support to speak of. I usually make a trip or two in the summer to CO, but was hoping to get something now. The D3 was one I did plan to research more.

I figure the winter time is a good time to find a sale..

I have a couple of moto helmets, but they are not cool enough and feel too heavy for MTB.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The Fox Rampage Pro Carbon is the most comfortable thing I have ever worn. That being said, it depends more on head shape than anything else. Good luck finding it on sale. For a cheapy helmet, I've been really happy with the Bell Sanction. I wear it for low-speed freeride and wear the Fox for DH where I am 100% concerned about protection and would gladly sacrifice the helmet to safety.

mtbr member
    As far as cooling goes, moto helmets are a little warmer than bike helmets, but not a massive amount. That said, I have a D2 that I ride with in southern Utah in summertime. Do I sweat a lot with it on? Yes, I do. But it's liveable for sure. You reach a certain heat level, but it plateaus at a reasonable temperature as you sweat. Venting helps, but it isn't incredibly good most of the time. It's not like the old AGV mx helmets with the air scoop vents. Those things were incredibly well ventilated (but dang ugly).

The biggest difference you'll find between a moto and bike lid (I raced mx for ~10 years) is the overall bulk. The helmet is also thinner and comes up higher in the lower back section above your neck, allowing you to look up more easily. This is VERY important if you're using a neck brace, as mx helmets tend to limit how far you can raise your head. You'll notice the decreased weight, but even with a carbon helmet it will not be an, 'Oh my gosh this thing feels like nothing at all!' moment. It will still feel substantial compared to, say, a POC enduro lid.

If possible, see if you can get in contact with a few people from that DH riding club and ask them if you might be able to check out their helmets (before they ride in them and get them all wet, of course).

Specifics about the helmets. Since it sounds like you might be forced into this purchase blind, I'll try to describe my experiences and feelings about fit. Keep in mind that this is just my experience. I'll also try to compare them to some of the MX helmets you may be familiar with. Hopefully this has some value for you.

If you fit a Fox V3 or V4 mx helmet, the D3 will be rather similar in shape. Slimmer and lighter, but similar feel to me. Super high quality, soft liners, and the trim and strap were on par with a very high end mx helmet. But you definitely do pay extra for that extra (and arguable unnecessary) polish.
    The SixSixOne helmets felt like they had a slightly 'shorter' head space in the forward-to-backward direction. They put just a bit too much pressure on my apparently bulbous forehead. If you have a head that isn't very long from front to back, it might be perfect for you. The older Shoei VFX-R helmets had a bit of that same pressure on my forehead. The finish and attention to detail was not on par with the Troy Lee helmets, but it was still pretty good. Only the cheapest 661 lids seemed very cheaply built.
    The Bell and Giro bike helmets that I've tried on felt similar to each other. Makes sense, since Bell Sports owns them both. Good overall helmets, but they felt a bit cheap to me, especially around the mouth guard. Sort of like my cheaper HJC mx helmet. Decent overall shape, but felt sort of cheap/brittle, and the finishing touches were a bit skimped on, IMHO.

That is all the helmet experience I have with both mx and mtb. Hopefully it helps in some way.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I tried most of the major brands and went with a POC. It fit the best for me.

As everyone else has said, try them on and go with what feels the best. If you notice ANY discomfort when you first put it on, that will only get worse as you wear it for any length of time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i had an older 661 that i replaced with an urge downomatic. The urge is light, and vents well. However, they dont fit everyone well. If you have a chance to try one out, i suggest you do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Went from Giro Remedy carbon to tld d3 carbon and now Fox Rampage pro carbon. The d3 had the lowest profile and best fit and finish and is my favorite. I switched to the rampage for ascetic reasons but it is a solid helmet but feel the d3 has the edge in quality. The rampage pro and d3 will be a bit heavier than some but I believe they are alot higher quality and have higher safety ratings. If cash is no object and you like their graphics then a D3 is probably the best. BUT.....head shapes vary so you have to try them on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Been riding the last few years with a TLD D2 carbon and this past December I picked up the Fox Rampage Pro carbon. The Fox fit is perfect (for me), no pressure points and just perfectly snug. I did try a TLD D3 on this summer and that also fit snug but there was a pressure point toward the front by my forehead. I think that after a few rides the TLD D3 would have broken in and been fine (also read somewhere you can remove a plastic piece that is in the liner and that will remedy the pressure point). I can't speak for other helmets but the Fox Rampage Pro and TLD D3 are pretty light and comfortable, then again everyone's noggins are different.