Help me pick a fork- Mtbr.com

Help me pick a fork

Building up a dedicated full suspension urban / trail / play bike, based on a Weyless 67 frame. This is my first full suspension freeride bike.

I have no false illusions that I am some super bad ass rider that needs a huge fork and monster parts. However, my xc bike isn't built to withstand some of the riding that I like to do. I've been riding for a while (more than a decade) but not on a "big" bike.

I do plan on hitting some small stair gaps to start, small drops, a trip or two to BC this summer, local freeride trails, log rides, etc, and general shenanigans around my hood.

I don't like to shuttle, so if I go with something heavy it needs to be worth it's weight. I also like to bunnyhop all kinds of stuff when riding through my hood and expect this to be easier with a 5 pound fork than a 7 pound fork. Basically I don't mind heavy if it is worth it, but I think I can get away with a lighter fork for the majority of my riding.

Requirements:

1 1/8" steerer
    Between 150 and 170mm travel
    20mm axle
    Not going to fall apart in one season

Currently looking at:

04 Marz Z-150, 7 lbs, kind of cheap right now
    (-) At that weight, why not go with a Sherman Kingpin
    (+) I generally like Marz forks
    (-) I don't like their QR20 implementation all that much

05 Sherman Kingpin, 7+ lbs, 170mm, TPC+, cheap, dual crown
    (-) I don't think I am worthy of a fork that big
    (+) I might find a big fork to be confidence inspiring - psychological benefits
    (+) I really like the TPC+ and the price, seems to have all the features I want
    (-) kind of heavy

05 Sherman Flick, 5+lbs, 150mm, TPC
    (+) Seems like an OK fork
    (+) Reasonable weight

05 Sherman Firefly, 5+ lbs, SPV Evolve
    (-) Kind of pricey
    (-) Haven't tried the SPV evolve, not sure if I want it - but it may be the cat's pajamas?
    (+) Reasonable weight

05 Marz Z1 FR1, less than 6lbs (I think)
    (-) Kind of pricey
    (+) HCSV makes me happy
    (+) I like all the other features of this fork

I am leaning towards the Flick.

So, what would you do if you were in my shoes? Is there anything that I have overlooked? Any other forks I should consider?

Thanks.

Glad to Be Alive
    stick with marzochi...very dependable....Z-1 freeride is nice
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Yo Paseo El Scream
    I'd agree, the marz z1 fr is the one i would go with. My friend has firefly's on his haro escape, the fork is really nice, but i prefer marzocchi.
    no's
    flick
    z150 (ok)
    firefly
    kingpin(haven't tried)
    flick
    Banshee Bikes
    Honorary Member Of The 200 Club
    Sponsers
    SixSixOne
    Soul Cycles
    Kenda Tires

Quote Originally Posted by BJ-
    ..."if i can jump it on my feet whilst running as fast as i can, then it aint worth jumping on a bike"...

100% Cheesy Goodness
    The Flick aint a bad fork. I have an 04 on my ht and it works quite well. The compression is a little under dampened IMO, but It works pretty good. its not terribly heavy and I can squeeze a 2.5 through it with enough room for a bit of mud. I could care less for the travel adjustment on it (it broke after 1.5 weeks of light riding). The SPV evolve is killer for pedaling. It cancels a ton of bob out and (once its broken in) it is pretty plush too. The Z1 aint a bad choice, if you had the $$ a 66vf wouldnt be bad either, although it might be a bit over kill. All in all performance for the $$ I think that I would go with a marzocchi. To me they are a heck of a lot easier to work on than the manitou, and they seem to have better overall quality. If we are talking street and dj, its a whole nother ball game.
    Blaaah blaaah blaaah

mtbr member

Older fork?

Have you considered an older fork, probably an 01-02 SuperT? They are really cheap used, work great, lighter than a Z150 by around a pound. They are super durable and reliable as well.

There are some for sale in the classifieds:
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

There was a thread on a similar topic down the page too.

Pro Crastinator
    Z-150, hands down........

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I would say Z150 if you want a 7inch fork I would look at the Jr T

Quote Originally Posted by robsetsfire
    Have you considered an older fork, probably an 01-02 SuperT? They are really cheap used, work great, lighter than a Z150 by around a pound. They are super durable and reliable as well.

There are some for sale in the classifieds:
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/...uery=retrieval

There was a thread on a similar topic down the page too.
    Thanks - Didn't know about those. Length is good, HCSV is good... I will check it out. So you are saying this fork is somewhere around 6 lbs?

To everyone who is saying Z150 - any reason to pick that over the 05 Z1 FR1 besides price? It seems pretty heavy. Is it any better performing than a 05 Z1 FR1?

Samsonite Tester
    Quote Originally Posted by frank n. beans
    Thanks - Didn't know about those. Length is good, HCSV is good... I will check it out. So you are saying this fork is somewhere around 6 lbs?

To everyone who is saying Z150 - any reason to pick that over the 05 Z1 FR1 besides price? It seems pretty heavy. Is it any better performing than a 05 Z1 FR1?
    The Z150 is rock solid and uber plush. ETA is great for a trail bike. Weight is used properly for durabillity. Nice steel stanctions. The QR20 is not as bad as some say. Just don't over tighten it.

The SPV equiped forks are awesome for longer rides. But all I have seen needed rebuiliding at least once a year for new seals. Many owners wind up drilling holes and custom tuning them.

Have fun on the new ride. The 6/7 looks like an amazing bike for the money.

EK
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mtbr member

I think some people overlook the older DCs, but many of the new SCs are the same weight and much more expensive.

Marzocchi lists:
    01 SuperT at 6.0 lbs including Easton alloy steerer (http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/de...IDOggetto=2411)
    04 Z150 at 7.0 lbs including reinforced steel steerer (2669+535g from the weights table: http://www.marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/pro...tb&IDAnno=2456)
    05 Z1 ETA at 5.75 lbs including reinforced alloy steerer (2378+226g from the weights table: http://www.marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/pro...tb&IDAnno=8357)

The Z150 is a lot of steel, which probably makes it more durable for the hardcore rider, but also makes it quite heavy. The older Super Ts can hold up to a lot since you benefit from the DC. The new Z1 seems like a great fork although may be a little less burly than the Z150, but with prices around $700 now you could probably buy both a used Super T and a new Z150 for the same price.

Unless you need the clearance of the SC, I would say you don't lose anything with a Super T. And if you need the 170mm, you can get the 02 version. I prefer the 150mm because it is plenty of travel for what you need and will be a little stiffer due to the shorter crown to axel. The 05 Z1 would be the other choice if you have $450 extra bucks burning a hole in your pocket. I'm not a fan of the Z150s due to their weight since my 888 isn't much heavier...

Glad to Be Alive
    if you are looking at Super T then just get a Shiver
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robsetsfire
    I think some people overlook the older DCs, but many of the new SCs are the same weight and much more expensive.

Marzocchi lists:
    01 SuperT at 6.0 lbs including Easton alloy steerer (http://www.marzocchi.com/Template/de...IDOggetto=2411)
    04 Z150 at 7.0 lbs including reinforced steel steerer (2669+535g from the weights table: http://www.marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/pro...tb&IDAnno=2456)
    05 Z1 ETA at 5.75 lbs including reinforced alloy steerer (2378+226g from the weights table: http://www.marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/pro...tb&IDAnno=8357)

The Z150 is a lot of steel, which probably makes it more durable for the hardcore rider, but also makes it quite heavy. The older Super Ts can hold up to a lot since you benefit from the DC. The new Z1 seems like a great fork although may be a little less burly than the Z150, but with prices around $700 now you could probably buy both a used Super T and a new Z150 for the same price.

Unless you need the clearance of the SC, I would say you don't lose anything with a Super T. And if you need the 170mm, you can get the 02 version. I prefer the 150mm because it is plenty of travel for what you need and will be a little stiffer due to the shorter crown to axel. The 05 Z1 would be the other choice if you have $450 extra bucks burning a hole in your pocket. I'm not a fan of the Z150s due to their weight since my 888 isn't much heavier...
    The 2001 Super T was more like 6.4lbs.

The 2002 Super T was 6.8lbs.

The 2nd version of the Z150 was below 7lbs, somewhere around 6.7. In any case, the single crown version definitely needs to have a beefed up crown and stanchions, so looking for a SC fork of the same length just to "save weight" is not really valid, but it does give some people the HT they want and more flexibility.

I'm sure you'd be happy with the Z150 or a 2005 Z1FR.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Thanks for the input

I appreciate everyone's input on this matter. I ordered a z150. Woo hoo!

Glad to Be Alive
    good luck to you...send us a report and pics on the new fork./

e.f.f.e.c.t smoothoperatr

Good job!

ya same with me for the z1 freeride... my friend has it in his bike and hes been going off 6 foot flat to flat concretes.

We get titles?
    Good for you. I was just going to chime in and tell you not to get the Z1. That frame feels much better with a 6 inch fork than it does with a 5. Have fun.

jump, crash, and roll
    Building up a dedicated full suspension urban / trail / play bike, based on a Weyless 67 frame. This is my first full suspension freeride bike.

I have no false illusions that I am some super bad ass rider that needs a huge fork and monster parts. However, my xc bike isn't built to withstand some of the riding that I like to do. I've been riding for a while (more than a decade) but not on a "big" bike.

I do plan on hitting some small stair gaps to start, small drops, a trip or two to BC this summer, local freeride trails, log rides, etc, and general shenanigans around my hood.

I don't like to shuttle, so if I go with something heavy it needs to be worth it's weight. I also like to bunnyhop all kinds of stuff when riding through my hood and expect this to be easier with a 5 pound fork than a 7 pound fork. Basically I don't mind heavy if it is worth it, but I think I can get away with a lighter fork for the majority of my riding.

Requirements:

1 1/8" steerer
    Between 150 and 170mm travel
    20mm axle
    Not going to fall apart in one season

Currently looking at:

04 Marz Z-150, 7 lbs, kind of cheap right now
    (-) At that weight, why not go with a Sherman Kingpin
    (+) I generally like Marz forks
    (-) I don't like their QR20 implementation all that much

05 Sherman Kingpin, 7+ lbs, 170mm, TPC+, cheap, dual crown
    (-) I don't think I am worthy of a fork that big
    (+) I might find a big fork to be confidence inspiring - psychological benefits
    (+) I really like the TPC+ and the price, seems to have all the features I want
    (-) kind of heavy

05 Sherman Flick, 5+lbs, 150mm, TPC
    (+) Seems like an OK fork
    (+) Reasonable weight

05 Sherman Firefly, 5+ lbs, SPV Evolve
    (-) Kind of pricey
    (-) Haven't tried the SPV evolve, not sure if I want it - but it may be the cat's pajamas?
    (+) Reasonable weight

05 Marz Z1 FR1, less than 6lbs (I think)
    (-) Kind of pricey
    (+) HCSV makes me happy
    (+) I like all the other features of this fork

I am leaning towards the Flick.

So, what would you do if you were in my shoes? Is there anything that I have overlooked? Any other forks I should consider?

Thanks.
    If its not to late get a marzocchi z150 series fork or anything marzo.
    SEnd it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenz150
    If its not to late get a marzocchi z150 series fork or anything marzo.
    I believe he already did.

Soul Cycles
    Jan 2005
    66 rc or vf

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by upNdown
    Good for you. I was just going to chime in and tell you not to get the Z1. That frame feels much better with a 6 inch fork than it does with a 5. Have fun.

??? Don't get the Z1 cuz a 6 inch feels better???? The Z1 is a 6" for 05.

I know he already bought the fork but i just wanted to set this straight

pwn3rator
    Go For The 'o3 Or '04 Junior T. But No Matter What, You Can't Get Any Manitou Stance Forks, They Suck A Hairy Nut.
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.