Help me build up a light dh rig- Mtbr.com
    Racer

Help me build up a light dh rig

I just preordered a jedi with dvo emerald and now i'm trying to decide what components to put on it.

Handlebars- pretty sure I want carbon 35mm - easton havocs i can probably get for a good price

direct mount stem- what's a light 35mm direct mount stem? i'm assuming this will work with the dvo

seatpost - thompson..or is there a lighter option?

saddle - I know nothing about saddles......too boring for me to obsess over. what are some of the lightest dh saddles?

tires: I've always run michelins in the past but I think maxxis has come a long way in the past several years and they are probably lighter. any specific recommendations?

tubleless: ghetto tubeless? I've been out of the dh game for about 6 years....have they come up with a better rim strip option that cutting up a new innertube with exacto knife? that was always a pain in the ass...

derailleur: xtr or saint? I've already ordered a saint shifter but they were out of stock of the saint derailleur.

of course no valve caps for less rotational mass

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you are getting an Easton Havoc 35mm carbon bar (I have and love) go with the Easton Havoc stem as well (both bar and stem are super light). For a saddle go with the SDG I-fly saddle and SDG I-beam seatpost. Almost all rims now can be made tubeless with Stans rim strips and gorilla tape, I run Mavic 823's rims with DT Swiss 240 hubs, 823's don't require anything to run tubeless.

Racer
    can you elaborate on the gorilla tape? do you just tape over the rim strip, seat the tire and then trim off the excess?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Racer
    i'm going to be using the wheelset made by canfield. I heard it was designed with ghetto tubeless in mind so that will help. the front wheel is 930g and the rear is 1170g. i think thats on the lighter side of things but i've never really paid much attention to weight in the past due to not having the money to spend on nicer stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The wheel and tires are gonna be your biggest win, and you want WIDE rims (the wider the better. The mavic are pretty narrow IMO). Brakes are not where you want to go light!

I use Stan Flow Ex/ Hope Pro II wheels (about 1850gr in 150x12 DH size vs 2300gr+ DH wheels) with 26 internal width and better for tubeless, and Trail King 2.4 (950gr each vs your typical 1400gr DH tires), stans yellow tape and valve running very low pressure - my Glory is under 34lbs for Large with clip pedals, with ZERO carbon bits or crazy parts. Every time the chairlift guy have to put my bike on, they thank me for the weight

If you have more $$ there are carbon wheels our there. I would check Ibis 741 (27.5") as they are supper wide (41mm) and light in the 1650gr range. $1300 retail which is half what other guys are selling.

Glad to Be Alive
    no way in hell would I ride carbon bars DH.....I don't care what people say...all I know is I have seen 3 riders get hurt from carbon failures

in addition, get a torque wrench because if you tighten them too much the bars are toast
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Carbon cranks like the XO's if you are a lite rider or sixc for a heavier rider....Canfield Pedals, I like the I beam seats, ti spring for shock
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Racer
    yea i've been wondering the same thing SMT. I think carbon has come a long way but it does kind of make me nervous. I know the last easton aluminum bars I had I hated. They seemed to transmit every last vibration and would give me numb hands half way through a run. Are all aluminum bars this way or some better than others? I definitely want something low and wide. I have super long arms and hate having my bars too high. I like to have a low center of gravity.

Glad to Be Alive
    check azonicusa for some good bars....I have no problems with my DVO's and those bars and the difference in weight between the Carbon and the aluminum bars is nothing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help me build up a light dh rig-whis3.jpg  

Help me build up a light dh rig-whis2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Super stoked on your choosing the Jedi!! You're going to love it.

Bars: I recently switched to Enve DH bars, and I really like them a lot. The 35mm bars felt a bit too rigid for me. Almost harsh like my ODI Flight Control aluminum bars were. You mentioned harshness in your last Easton bars, and that's how I felt with the current 35mm carbon Havoc bars. Just felt... harsh. I'm a little wary of the 35mm bars in general though, due to the slightly thinner walls they have. The 35mm bars' walls are thinner to keep their weight in line with the regular diameter bars while maintaining rigidity. The Enves are built like tanks, and they're quite light. I am 100% sold on them. No worries about them breaking, unless I tomahawk my bike through the rocks and damage something. But whatever carbon bars you choose, definitely get a torque wrench and make sure everything is at or less than the max value, or you will run the risk of damaging them.

I don't like carbon cranks too much, as I have hit the heads of my crank arms many a time on the rocks while pedaling through chunk. That's not a good thing with carbon. But if someone handed me a pair of the XO DH cranks, I'd probably instantly love them and their carbon sexiness. I have trusty ol X9 cranks. Sram cranks have a lot more chainring options available, many of which are direct mount (spiderless) chainrings. Very clean, light, and elegant solution to bulky cranks.

Brakes: I'd definitely go with Shimano right now. IceTech rotors are nice and light, and run very cool. Then I'd get Saint or XT brakes to match them. AVerage in weight, but excellent stopping power, especially the Saints.

Saddle: whatever's comfy. I like the WTB Rocket V SLT. Titanium rails are nice and light, yet still strong. Never tried the SDG.

Pedals: Canfield Crampon Ultimates, or Magnesiums if you can afford them. Hot dang, they're good! And very durable.

Shock: Not sure what you're getting with your frame, but definitely a titanium spring.

Your bike is going to be the envy of everyone. I'm already jealous
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

Racer
    i mainly ride at snowshoe which is extremely rocky with lots of sharp square edge hits. Do you think those trail king tires would be tough enough or should I just go with maxxis dhf/high roller II's?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005