Help Help Help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Help Help Help

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

... and if we just ... Help Help Help

Outgrowing my Stinky and trying to decide between Cove Shocker, Commencal Supreme, and Santa Cruz Driver 8. Please help steer me in the right direction! Thanks!

Slopestyle Rider
    What type of riding do you do? Freeride? Race?

mtbr member
    More info.

How big/old are you? Do you race? If so: Are you competitive? What's your experience level? Where/what are you riding? Do you travel? Do you work on your own stuff? How long do you expect it to last? What's your complete build budget?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I ride pretty much exclusively lift service downhill/freeride all over the northeast US. Have not raced DH before, but do race XC and would like a bike that would be competitive if I wanted to get into it. I'm 5'10 about 190. I would consider myself experienced, able to ride anything anywhere decently. I am trying to plan a trip to whistler, stopping all over along the way. I do pretty much everything on my own stuff, and would like the bike to last at least a few seasons.

Moose Member
    Don't know too much about the shocker? Bt the driver 8 and supreme are good bikes. If you want to go Santa Cruz get a v-10.
    I think Gee Antherton rides a comencal supreme and his wicked fast, but Steve Peat and Minarr race v-10's and their super fast too.
    If you can't get the v-10 for some reason and only a driver 8, I'd say go with the supreme. If not I say got v-10.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Expand your selection and demo, this will help you decide if you favor DH or freeride more. Not sure what budget you're working with, but if you're new to DH and want the best bang for the buck personally I'd suggest finding an old square tube Turner DHR with good components. For a new bike Giant has very good value. The 951 is a lively bike and tears it up for both DH and FR but not plow sled. Ride as many DH and FR bikes you can. Driver 8 is not a bad transition bike, but it does not DH as well as the Commercial. Cove is a good bike. I'd highly recommend considering the F1 Jedi, Turner DHR, 951, M6, V10, Revolt, just to name a few.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I heard the 2009 Commencal Supremes had some welding issues... is there any truth to thi?

Glad to Be Alive
    For mostly lift service look into Intense 951, M-3, M-6 or M-9, Santa cruz V-10,
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Big Test Icycles
    You cant go wrong with a Cove Shocker for lift service riding. It was designed, tested, produced and raced at Whistler. Cove is right in Nth Vancouver an put out excellent bikes.Take a close look at them if you want a tough frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Do you want the Commencal Supreme or the Supreme DH. The names can be slightly confusing. The Supreme is the old Mini DH, while the Supreme DH is there full blown DH bike. There is a difference.
    As for the 2009 Supreme, I have yet to have a problem with it after almost a season. It has served me well at Whistler, the North Shore and at Bromont (local spot).
    If you are in the market for a full on downhill bike, then I think you would not go wrong with any of your choices, except the Driver 8 is more of a free ride bike (in my opinion). As others have mentioned, go with the V-10 if you are wanting a Santa Cruz.

Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm looking at the Supreme DH, Speedgoat bicycles has the frame for 1879.... seems like a pretty good deal

bike rider
    That is a good deal. There'll be lots of used V10s for sale in a few months when the carbon comes out. I think my V10 is the best DH bike and it's light and pedals well so I use it for descents that have to be climbed up to as well. For my road trip to Whistler I brought a second, longer seatpost and smaller chainring that I used for the XCish days.
    Last edited by Lelandjt; 09-12-2010 at 04:21 PM.
    Keep the Country country.

Members who have read this thread: 0