Help Headset installing question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Help Headset installing question

Hi everybody!!! I juste installed my brand new headset (Fsa pig dh pro) one a brand new fork (marzocchi Z! sport 2006) on my rocky mountain flow 2006. But there is a fuc**ng creaking noise coming from the haedset area. I thightened, greased and pressed everything correctly but there a creacking noise... I think this come from the headset cup into the frame and now i'm wondering if i was needed to put some grease between the frame and the headset cups??? This is very annoying, it makes noise at every bump and every fork movement or whatever that hit the front wheel. Please help me.

Glad to Be Alive
    take it to one of your local boys who knows how to do stuff...or off to the LBS
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Derailleurless
    How easily did the cups go in? Did you check tolerances with a micrometer before pressing the cups?

If the head tube is sligtly oversized, or the cup slightly undersized (making for an easy press and an improper interference fit), you can try using Loctite 609 retaining compound to fill in the gap and secure the headset cup in place.

Something else to try is a very generous slathering of a thick grease around the cartridge bearings. This can take up a minute amout of slop, and has the added benefit of protecting the bearing from dirt and moisture.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    yes, i fulled some grease between every parts of the berings. But we dont have micrometer stuff at our shop. I just pressed it in with the correct cup presser. i removed 3 time an older headset before putting this one, can it be a problem?? Because rocky mountain told me that my frame accept the deep cup headset.But when i tried to install it, it refused to go at his complete insertion. so i put back my old headset and wait for my fsa pig dh pro. But now it's installed but it makes a lot of noise. But, will puting some grease on the headset cup and into the frame remove the noise??

COOL BUZZ & TASTY S-TRACK
    I'm having a similar problem, post your results when you find it.

I have a creak in my 1.5 FSA Xtreme Pro. The lower bearing seemed a little rough so I thought that might be it,replaced with a new one, not it. I'm heading to the shop Monday to remove the cups regrease and reinstall, hoping the creaking is coming betwen the head tube and cup.
    I can fix it............... my dad has an awesome set of tools

mtbr member

crush washers

Common problem usually caused by not having the headset cups perfectly parallel to the stem (which is why they tell you to face the stem before you install it but who does that?!). The quick and easy fix is to install a thin plastic "crush washer" between the headset bearing cap and the stem (or spacer). Chris King apparently includes them with all their headsets now. They just sent me a couple for my bikes.

Cheers,

G MAN

Members who have read this thread: 0