help choosing a single pivot- Mtbr.com
    Roll on Spring Time!

help choosing a single pivot

i have recently discovered the value of shopping on e-bay and i am looking for a single pivot to try out. i have had great sucess with forks trying out three before keeping one and selling the other two getting my money back.
    i really see the advantage of single pivot for my long term frame and i have been looking around on ebay for a while now just to see what deals come up. my first choice for a new buy would be the orange patriot 66 or morewood shova(i am south african so would be nice to support local). however both of these are real pricey new. so i figured i might try buy something like an 05/06 bullit, heckler, patriot or canondale gemini 900. of these the patriot still sells for the most cash. i am on a coiler now and feel 150mm travel with 160-170mm frok is pretty much the sweet spot. i like to use my bike for everything including a bit of climbing. i am really getting into my freeride stuff but not huge. i land heavy cause i is still learning so need something to take the nocks, hence my concern about the heckler. i do a lot of jumping but not park jumps rather more in the way of freeride doubles, step ups and drops etc. i feel my coiler handles everything i give it with room to spare so that is the yardstick.
    i am not ditching my coiler but would just like to try a single pivot without the risk of losing money and before i dish out a heap on a new model.
    i am looking at a frame only, i weigh 185lb and is 6'2" tall. i like the heckler cause it will build light and climbs well, gets great reviews and can still take a coil shock. i like the bullit cause it is beefier than the heckler but doesnt climb as well. the canondale gets really good reviews and i like the look of it-cheesy i know but still, it also has adjustable travel. and finaly the patriot is just the bike i think would be the perfect single pivot choice from reviews and people i know who ride em. the canondal, bullit and heckler can be had for the best deal.
    I just want to ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    What advantage? Harsh travel due to pedal interaction with a high pivot? Or lateral deflection due to inadequate reinforcement?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Tell me you don't like Commencals or Turners

...for I am a raindog too
    your coiler is a single pivot when you get right down to it.

what are you trying to get out of a single pivot that you don't already have with your coiler? The only appreciable difference is that with the coiler you have more linkages to maintain.

By design, I'd GUESS that the coiler is going to be stiffer on the rear end than a lot of the single pivot, single swing-arm designs out there. (I'm no expert, and haven't spent extensive time on a coiler or many of the single swing arm bikes.)

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by norbar
    Tell me you don't like Commencals or Turners
    Those two bikes are very different than the elevated swingarm single pivot type bikes like the orange and the cannondale.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Morewood shovas are sick!
    Go BIG or Go HOME

Glad to Be Alive
    CLUE IN

pretty much a coiler is single pivot
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Had a PATRIOT LT back in 2000 only bike I have had so far that is "better" is a 2002 TURNER DHR. Sick bike and plenty stiff, I weighed 225LBS at that time and felt no flex in the swingarm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Get either an swd crazy 8 or 216 dh, they are great steel framed dh bikes. They have a lifetime warrenty and lifetime freepivot bearings. The frames are fairly light and resonably priced. I personally ride the 216 dh and i couldn't be happier. Check it out www.swdracing.com

Pivotal figure
    If you're looking to do more FR stuff I'd pick the Bullit over the Heckler. A lot of the guys here actually ride the Morewood (they got a team deal) and really like it. Seems like you'd be able to find a used one fairly easily, just might take some time.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    I have a 07 Morewood Shova LT. I ride for them. Love the bike. Look for the Thread "Morewood Sova LT Review". It is my write up on the bike and how I changed up the treavel and GEO to the stock GEO. So far I love this thing as a DO IT ALL RACE BIKE. Good luck on your decision.

Cecil
    Ride!

Bum Buzzer
    Plenty of good options, cant go wrong with a bullit.

Equal opportunity meanie
    James you have 666 posts.....eerie.

A Coiler is a linkage driven single pivot. Anything that isn't an FSR, VPP, DWlink or any other quad link or rail bike is a single pivot.

A well designed single pivot doesn't have pedal feedback. It also doesn't have any more flex than an FSR or DW link (but STAYS stiffer too if designed right!).

mtbr member
    i have a marin team dh frame that is a single pivot that you could put a front derailler on and has 10" of travel, helped me get sponsered, now i cant ride it cause i have another bike, fits anyone, pm me for details and pics

mtbr member
    I really like my bullit. I use it for everything, dh, fr, a little bit of xc, and dj

Roll on Spring Time!
    wow fellas, but i think you mist my point. i am not saying the coiler is not a single pivot even if linkage driven. i think turners rock and there are loads of other bikes like the giant reign x that would be an ideal ride/suspension option, but.....
    i ride in england with loads of mud! i am tired of coming home after every ride with my bike covered and then getting into every nook and cranny. the reign would be my worst nightmare for cleaning as would the commencal mini dh. i like the idea of trying a single pivot like the orange, morewood etc cause of the shock and pivot placement which would keep them outta da mud. i also want to try a "simple single pivot" cause i will have to make a final investment at some point and then maintain it. at the moment i earn good money but i want to change careers and maybe move to another country. a single pivot would make me feel more confident for a long term investment. i have heard nothing bad about good single pivots. i dont race just ride to have fun. i am not looking for a DH frame.
    FCLINDER - i have read your review and envy you. i would love to own your rig but they are pricey. i havent seen anything come up on ebay yet. i have seen really good deals on 05/06 bullits and the reviews are great. my thinking is to invest in a good deal to "try it out" then look for something new later when i have saved some cash. for the price of some frames i cant see how i could loose. i just want some recommendations on the frame that would give me the best experience, simple.
    I just want to ride.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    wow fellas, but i think you mist my point. i am not saying the coiler is not a single pivot even if linkage driven. i think turners rock and there are loads of other bikes like the giant reign x that would be an ideal ride/suspension option, but.....
    i ride in england with loads of mud! i am tired of coming home after every ride with my bike covered and then getting into every nook and cranny. the reign would be my worst nightmare for cleaning as would the commencal mini dh. i like the idea of trying a single pivot like the orange, morewood etc cause of the shock and pivot placement which would keep them outta da mud. i also want to try a "simple single pivot" cause i will have to make a final investment at some point and then maintain it. at the moment i earn good money but i want to change careers and maybe move to another country. a single pivot would make me feel more confident for a long term investment. i have heard nothing bad about good single pivots. i dont race just ride to have fun. i am not looking for a DH frame.
    FCLINDER - i have read your review and envy you. i would love to own your rig but they are pricey. i havent seen anything come up on ebay yet. i have seen really good deals on 05/06 bullits and the reviews are great. my thinking is to invest in a good deal to "try it out" then look for something new later when i have saved some cash. for the price of some frames i cant see how i could loose. i just want some recommendations on the frame that would give me the best experience, simple.
    look at the bullit then
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Im a Cowboy
    Orange patriot
    DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND! ....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    A well designed single pivot doesn't have pedal feedback. It also doesn't have any more flex than an FSR or DW link (but STAYS stiffer too if designed right!).
    Fine, but we are talking about an elevated seatstay single pivot type bike, those have a sort of "shock mast" that the swing arm is mounted to, this causes the entire rear triangle to act like a lever and twist this shock mast, putting side loads on the shock. You can make the tubes bigger and add reinforcement, but you have to add so much that it is self defeating. Case in point would be the bikes I've owned and the bionicon DH bike I demoed a few days ago, apart from my shorter travel turner feeling better suspension wise, the rear end deflected more and left me with less traction. These bikes, the cannondale gemini, orange, morewood, and so forth all suffer from this, as well as pedal feedback depending on the pivot point (which may cause no feedback, but if we're talking 2 chainrings there'll be a tradeoff and you will get it in one of the rings).

You're right that a well designed single pivot like a turner dhr with the pivot mounted close to the chainring and without elevated seatstays that add to the ability of the leverage to "twist" the swingarm do not suffer from these things that I described....but then again that is not the kind of bike that was originally discussed.

mtbr member
    Judge

i can't type the letter s
    The Yeti AS-X pedals way better than the Bullit IMO. And the lateral load on the shock is a non-issue due to the dogbone swing and the extra beefy link b/wn the seatstay and the shock. This makes the bike much stiffer in the rear, under load, with minimal (although there is some) pedal feedback under hard pedaling. Not a great DH bike but a kicka** FR bike. Just ask Krispy from Go-Ride. As always, proper shock set-up is key to these type of things.

Regarding mud clearance, I don't know how you feel about the extra dogbone link, but it is an extra piece that needs cleaning.

Roll on Spring Time!
    m jockey, dont mind the link at all. i was considering the asx but it would have to be a newer model as i have read how the older ones suffered from lack of material on the rear triangle at the mec hanger = cracking. i also dont see the asx getting recommended very often. i am waiting to bump into someone who rides one localy so i can ask and check his out. one thing i noticed bout his was how creakiy it sounded but i dont know where it was comming from?

jetj45 - i think the judge is way more than i need.
    I just want to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    m jockey, dont mind the link at all. i was considering the asx but it would have to be a newer model as i have read how the older ones suffered from lack of material on the rear triangle at the mec hanger = cracking. i also dont see the asx getting recommended very often. i am waiting to bump into someone who rides one localy so i can ask and check his out. one thing i noticed bout his was how creakiy it sounded but i dont know where it was comming from?

I believe it is the 2005 and prior swingarm that has had issues with a few riders. I have a 2005 model and mine shows no cracking yet. Not sure how wide spread the issue is but Yeti has been good in replacing the rear triangle on those that have failed

Creaking bikes drive be crazy. My Yeti has no creak and in fact is whisper quiet, but I keep up on cleaning and greasing where it needs. I also spray WD-40 all over the bike and wipe it down which helps to repel water and keeps linkages working nicely. Dust is not an issue with WD-40 if you wipe it down, just don't get it on rotors or calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    I believe it is the 2005 and prior swingarm that has had issues with a few riders. I have a 2005 model and mine shows no cracking yet. Not sure how wide spread the issue is but Yeti has been good in replacing the rear triangle on those that have failed
    Here's the link that made me aware of the breakage issues.

Yeti Forum: AS-X breaks

mtbr member
    One of these...

Members who have read this thread: 0