Help buying a new bike for cross country trips- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Help buying a new bike for cross country trips

Hey, I recently got my bike stolen and was looking to upgrade either way but now this made it much more urgent than before. I recently just bought a tear drop camper and added a bike rack, I currently live in Colorado with plans to road trip it out to Pacific Northwest and stopping in Moab along the way and anything else I can find from here to there. I like the more gravity fed stuff with some flow jump lines and berms, I enjoy technical root and rock sections to a certain level and will defiantly be doing a good amount of lift access type of riding like Crested butte, and Whistler but I don't mind to pedal to get to some good stuff. I am trying to get a perfect bike set up for doing these trips and wouldn't mind the idea of having two bike if thats what is needed to fully enjoy my travels. I am no professional rider by any standard and won't be going off any extreme features so the need for a full on downhill bike doesn't seem as necessary for your average rider that still likes to charge hard. With that being said I am thinking something that has 170/170 travel with a coil rear shock might be able to peddle good enough while being able to handle the abuse of the bike park better, that could save me from buying two bikes right out of the gate and I would defiantly like to save the money if its not fully needed for someone with my skills but like said if the best answer in your guys experience would be to have a full downhill bike for downhill lift access riding then ill just bit the bull and get what is needed. If you guys have any suggestion of bikes im open to them! Thank you for the help!

Your bike sucks
    Not sure if it helps, but I'm doing a similar build for similar reasons. I've chosen a GG Megatrail and plan to run it w/ a Push 11-6, Lyric 180mm Smashpot Coil. It's a 165mm bike. I have a 200MM Canfield One w/ a Dorado and it's also a great platform for this too but I'm sort of downsizing everything and trying to target a single FS bike that is just a bit less focused on resort/park.

Depending on your size and preference you may be able to get a Knolly Delirium for cheap right now. 170mm.

Cheers..

Glad to Be Alive
    there are so many "Enduro or All Mountain" bikes out there you can choose from...If you can find an used Canfield Balance you will have both
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days