Help build my Rotec RL9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Help build my Rotec RL9

I've pretty muc decided on an RL9. I know myself well enough to know that if I get anything else, I'll just be wishing I had gotten the RL9.

So how do I build it.

I'm thinking Roco shock, other choice I think is a Manitou.

Fork Fox 40 RC2 - should I consider anything else? Best fork I ever rode was a Mr. Dirt if they still made those, maybe I'd get one. 888 WC seems pretty nice, Rock Shox has plenty of success, but I have a feeling that the Black Box stuff is WAYYY different from what I can get.

My real question is on brakes - I'm thinking Formula vs. Saint.

If I ge Saint, I may be very tempted to get an XTR dual control for the right side. Does anyone do that? Freeriding with my XTR levers didn't bug me at all last year, I think 'd like it on a DH bike.

lmx
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    first of all what is your kind of riding..is it more dh racing or freeriding,if the bikes is for freeriding i would consider a marzo fork wc or rc2x proven reliability from past years are a no brainer,for racing and if your a weight weenie i would go for the boxxer wc or team they are by far the best forks for racing...for brakes and drivetrain i would go sram and avid (same company) i found the shifts are crisper and more precise then shimano...i personally bought the new x-9 short cage witch is more then half the price of the x-0 and worked perfectly.for brakes the new codes are really the cut above everything i've seen so far and not too expensive,actually they are cheaper then juicy carbon and more powerful.
    ouin! pas pire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It will be Shimano shifting. I've ridden a firends bike with X.9. Nice stuff, but not my cup of tea.

Type of riding, mix of freeride/race. I don't do drops and stuff. I'm not a bike destroyer. Last year I made a few trips to Bromont, Highlands and Killington and rode those mountains on my S-Works Enduro with Crossmax SL's, so I'm not too concerned about breaking stuff.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Go with the fox and Formula brakes K18/24 or if your really want bling then some Puro's or Bianco's

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Geoff's RL9 build:
    Marz 888 WC
    Marz Roco WC
    Gamut P40
    Magura Louise BAT Carbon Brakes
    Middleburn Cranks
    Answer Pro Taper Bars
    Sram xo shifter and Deraileur
    Hopey Steering Damper
    Crank Bros. Mallets or Azonic Pookie Pedals
    Sun Ringle Urban Camo Mtnx Rims and hubs
    SDG Belaire post and seat
    ODI Intense Grips
    Fsa BB

Pretty Much His Dream Bike [email protected]!

This will be Geoff's second RL9, He had great sucess and loved the first RL9, any questions, just ask !!

mtbr member
    Gamut, formula brakes (hands down), 888wc, I have a fox dhx but the rocco wc is a great choice, hopey damper (you have a built in placement for it), middleburn or gravity light cranks. The rest is changing everyday!!
    BTW those bikes are nice.

Glad to Be Alive
    I am not a fan of manitou...go for the Roco
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Bum Buzzer
    MZ fork - 888 RC2x VA (or WC - Same fork - one is pimp't)
    Shock - Roco (or CCDB if you got it like that, or are a pimp
    Avid Brakes - Juicy carbon for light, Code for retarded braking. (Ultimate levers with Code calipers if yoy happen to pimp.)
    Shimano Shifting - Saint or XTR, screw clunky shifting.

Cranks - RF Atlas for light, Shimano Saint for burly (Middleburn for tha pimp in ya.)
    Wheels - Outlaw for Cheap, Hadley with 729 or 823 for superbness (or I9's if you be pimpin)
    Tires - Maxxis Minion 2.5 3C (DONE!)

the rest I leave to you...

Just roll it......
    Whatever you do, I'd order that frame pronto.....if you haven't already. I've got a buddy that ordered his 6 weeks ago and the new ones won't be in for a bit.

I've seen a bunch of those and they look really nice.

EB

trail fairy
    MZ fork - 888 RC2x VA (or WC - Same fork - one is pimp't)
    Shock - Roco (or CCDB if you got it like that, or are a pimp
    Avid Brakes - Juicy carbon for light, Code for retarded braking. (Ultimate levers with Code calipers if yoy happen to pimp.)
    Shimano Shifting - Saint or XTR, screw clunky shifting.

Cranks - RF Atlas for light, Shimano Saint for burly (Middleburn for tha pimp in ya.)
    Wheels - Outlaw for Cheap, Hadley with 729 or 823 for superbness (or I9's if you be pimpin)
    Tires - Maxxis Minion 2.5 3C (DONE!)

the rest I leave to you.

I have 888 r2x VA, 888 WC have Niitride staunchions and ti springs otheriwse same fork highly recommend em, also ndng the WC Rocco shock awesome and just prefer it over the DHXc!

I run the Saints with eight inch rotors front and rear gotta say Im suprised and impressed by these brakes so mine will stay eek did I say that Im not a Shimao fan so this is big for me.

I also have Codes on my other rig and they are unbeliveble almost too powerful, brillant modulation though front wheel wheelies are fun with these brakes at speed!

Im RF for canks, I run Atlas and Diablous stiff, I wish I had 170s on my DH rig though, I have 175 and hit things at times might look into 170s soon.

As for DT I have saint and I hate it I run Sram on all omy other bikes and realise why the difference is huge for me, I find the shimano slow need alot of push or pull to engage my sram is 10 times faster and positive, no missed shifts at speed I need to rely that I can get my gears fast and engage anything less is lost time and energy!

Everyone to there own but back to back I don' know why people still rave on Shimano, I don't care what the name says I just want what works and is reliable, Ive never had that with Shimano, and Ive always had XT or XTR drive trains no shitty stuff and still had issues to be fair this mainly became an issue with 9speeds DTs the older 8speed stuff was solid!

Good luck to using STI on a DH rig not for me bad enough it is Shimano but that is asking for it to me, good luck! it may work for you everyone is different.

Second Sun MTXs I have 2 sets one with Hadleys another with Sun Abbdah's impressed by the Suns so far, darm noisy makes the Hadleys sound normal, still Ive heard some Hopes that were even louder lol.
    ya could make a light weight set with some Sun single tracks as yr race wheel on less narly courses!

2nd Maxxis Minions either DHR in rear or DHF 2.5s DHF up front 3 c compounds rock I love these babies one tire outta any brand or model I'll stake my life on in a situtaion if these don't hold and Im going down, but I'll be confident while crashing and burning it wasn't them!

Good luck, post pix when done it sounds like she'll be an awesome rig
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I was thinking 165 Saint cranks - too short?

Members who have read this thread: 0