Help and advice for track build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help and advice for track build

We're building a track for a local race and I'm having a hard time imagining what I want to get done with the last section of it.

Here's a poor extremely out of scale illustration. The only thing there right now is the gap and step down.

The exit speed for the gap is fairly fast and there is about 50-75m of pedalable ground before the step down. The thing is if you go all out on this straight a way you over shoot the landing from the step down massively. Probably on the top 20% of riders will be able to do this but for the rest the speed of the step down as is is perfect.

This is spot also has the most spectators so I was thinking pedaling isn't the coolest thing these guys can see.

So what I thought up was a hip jump (ideally a rollable feature or a table top) to the right immediately followed by a hip to the left which would lead to the step down. I want to make it so the pro guys can preserve most of their speed while showing off a bit yet make it flowy enough for everyone else to have fun on. Objective would also be to not force anyone who wants to win to pedal their way into a massive over shoot on the step down yet make the course fast enough so the slower end of the field can still jump it and reach the receiver fine.

Problem is I'm having a hard time imagining what the features would look like. They would need plenty of dirt so I don't really want to experiment.

If you guys could link any videos or pictures of similar features or give any tips on how to make this work it would be well appreciated!

Edit: Entrance to the section is about 30-40kph and the part illustrated is just about flat.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    How about a jump over a shark tank, or through a flaming hoop of death....

Having a hard time visualizing the set up. Maybe check out some you tube clips of previous WC and other races for ideas.
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F.
    How about a jump over a shark tank, or through a flaming hoop of death....

Having a hard time visualizing the set up. Maybe check out some you tube clips of previous WC and other races for ideas.
    This.
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Now with More Wood
    Is it not feasible to build a second lip on the step down, a couple of meters before the current one? Give the fast guys a chance to prejump it, so to speak. We have a step down drop on one of our local tracks, this is what we have done there, works a treat. Fast guys can keep it pinned, and get lots more air, slower/more worried guys take the shorter option which requires a brake tap not to over shoot. Both take-off options feed into the same tranny. Dunno if it will work for your particular situation/lay of the land, but it's worth checking out the idea at least. The pre-jump kicker probably does not have to be very big...just in the right place.

Otherwise, you seem like you are onto a good idea, slow people down enough, keep the area suitable for the crowd pleasers to do their thing...if you have the manpower to move the dirt I'd say go for it. Jumps/gaps out of berms are always a good way to weed out the people who can't carry speed enough to make it across...just make sure there is some kind of option for them...make it or die is not a great way to set up a race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    Is it not feasible to build a second lip on the step down, a couple of meters before the current one? Give the fast guys a chance to prejump it, so to speak. We have a step down drop on one of our local tracks, this is what we have done there, works a treat. Fast guys can keep it pinned, and get lots more air, slower/more worried guys take the shorter option which requires a brake tap not to over shoot. Both take-off options feed into the same tranny. Dunno if it will work for your particular situation/lay of the land, but it's worth checking out the idea at least. The pre-jump kicker probably does not have to be very big...just in the right place.

Otherwise, you seem like you are onto a good idea, slow people down enough, keep the area suitable for the crowd pleasers to do their thing...if you have the manpower to move the dirt I'd say go for it. Jumps/gaps out of berms are always a good way to weed out the people who can't carry speed enough to make it across...just make sure there is some kind of option for them...make it or die is not a great way to set up a race.

I considered this but this but I also wanted to make the section more entertaining. I figure this would be a good option if we didn't get the dirt for features in between. I was thinking also possible to do a row of 2 or 3 long table tops but that would be kind of boring. Just need some entertaining features that would keep the fast guys from mashing the pedals for 50m. The exit speed for the gap is just about right for the step down so just needs a little flow.

Let the shark tank jump go guys. It's just not worth it if they don't have laser beams on their heads. Have you guys ever tried to train a shark to use a laser? Not fun!
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

Members who have read this thread: 0