Helmet / bike cameras...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Helmet / bike cameras...

I am thinking about getting a helmet / bike camera (more specific this camera)

Does anyone have experience with helmet cams? Which helmet camera would you recommend ? GoPro, Replay XD, Contour, Drift? Has anyone tried more than one of them?

thnx for sharing your experiences...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I think you would be happy with the GoPro as many riders use them. I went with a Contour HD as I like the compact size and it sits close to my helmet. If I could do it over again I would have sprung for the Contour GPS for its GPS abilities and ride info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I use Liquid Image goggles with the camera built-in.... takes great vids and is always in the right position for POV... comes in 720p HD and 1080p HD models.

Liquid Image | Impact Series HD 720p

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Second on the contour. I use one and love it.

RideDirt
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    I use Liquid Image goggles with the camera built-in.... takes great vids and is always in the right position for POV... comes in 720p HD and 1080p HD models.

Ok now THAT is sick ! So perfect for my downhill runs Please tell me you have some video footage on Youtube that i can view ?

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    This should give you an idea. I have a friend who is happy with them. The only downside is that you realize the POV angle is sorta limited. You get a better feel by having some point of reference in the frame (e.g. offset helmet mount, chest mount, bike mount). These are not possible with a pure goggle camera.

That said, you'll have fun with whatever you get. Make sure your PC or Mac is reasonably up to date, editing helmet cam footage is painful on a old computer. Check out the Video Forum too.

mtbr member
    I use a GoPro 960. They're decent cameras, battery and memory last a really long time, & they're pretty tough & portable.

Make sure you clean the lenses thoroughly, both on the case and on the camera itself. Bring a cloth to clean the lens when you ride too. Even a minimal amount of stuff on the lens has a pretty bad effect on the video.
    Check out my You Tube Channel

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
    Ok now THAT is sick ! So perfect for my downhill runs Please tell me you have some video footage on Youtube that i can view ?
    Here's a night riding video from last week... trail is Grand outside of Castlegar, B.C... change the settings to 720HD when viewing...

VID00070 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Those are sweet! I use a GoPro hero 2 and love it. Great vids and pics also. What light are you using in that vid?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by flxpain View Post
    Those are sweet! I use a GoPro hero 2 and love it. Great vids and pics also. What light are you using in that vid?
    Hope R4 LED on the bars and TrailLED Darkstar on the helmet... about 2200 lumens combined.

RideDirt
    This is good . Im thinking about picking up an older GoPro for cheap and use some of my spare Goggles to make my own mount . Personally , i feel the Gopro has better quality but def a good start somewhere.

mtbr member
    Just promise me this:
    No matter what camera you get, you will not clog up the internets with boring, retarded, long, uncut xc rides with the camera attached to a bobbly wobbly helmet bouncing all over the place aimed straight down at your knees, and crappy iMovie/MovieMaker titles floating all over the screen. Nor shall you title your video to the effect of 'Awesome Crash, nearly died' when you just fell over in the parking lot. If your video is boring and uneventful, just keep it on your local machine.

I shall end my rant. Not saying any of you would do such things, it's just a major pet peeve.
    I really think that if footage comes from a helmet cam, Youtube should have a mandatory screening team where they can reject the video if it is a waste of the internets.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The best thing about the Hero2 is it is good for so much more than bikes. Infinite mounting options, waterproof, takes great stills, etc. IMO, the best all-around option out there. I feel like a POV goggle camera would be a waste of money, because that's all you can film. 5 minutes of POV footage can get pretty boring....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    Just promise me this:
    No matter what camera you get, you will not clog up the internets with boring, retarded, long, uncut xc rides with the camera attached to a bobbly wobbly helmet bouncing all over the place aimed straight down at your knees, and crappy iMovie/MovieMaker titles floating all over the screen. Nor shall you title your video to the effect of 'Awesome Crash, nearly died' when you just fell over in the parking lot. If your video is boring and uneventful, just keep it on your local machine.

I shall end my rant. Not saying any of you would do such things, it's just a major pet peeve.
    I really think that if footage comes from a helmet cam, Youtube should have a mandatory screening team where they can reject the video if it is a waste of the internets.
    LOL I totally agree. I see a lot of riders filming their rides, I am not one of them, mostly because my boring skillset would put you to sleep, I'll save my $$ for something else thank you. Why the hell would anyone post up another boring trailride, falling over crossing a log, jumping off that 2 foot rock (woohoo!!!) is beyond me. Real pros riding real downhill and freeride trails are the only ones that are remotely interesting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I film every single run usually. Then archive them and will play them back with early season or last years runs to compare what I've gotten better at and what I still need to work on.

Occasionally if I have an exceptionally badly balanced weekend, I'll post up some POV crashing highlights, but that's about it...

In Armor We Trust
    I did a head to head comparison last Winter and found the GoPro was more clear when shooting 1080p, but in a bulky goofy case, and not as easy to use with snow gloves on. Contour is way easier to use with snow gloves plus the audible sound and light lets you know for sure when it's on/off/recording. Also much more streamlined side-helmet mounting, but you need to shoot 720p for anything with fast movement...basically everything you'd use it for.
    DH: Pivot Phoenix
    AM: Pivot Mach 6
    FG: KHS Flite 100

DownhillBAWS
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post

if i wanted to use a different set of goggles could i take the camera off the goggles it comes with and put the camera on a different pare of goggles?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jakester29959 View Post
    if i wanted to use a different set of goggles could i take the camera off the goggles it comes with and put the camera on a different pare of goggles?
    No, the camera and battery pack are integrated into the goggle... they are pretty comfortable and should work with most full-face helmets. There are different lens combinations available as well.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The JVC Adixxion HD MAY be the new leader in convenience(no covers needed, even for water) size(half the size of a Drift and a bit smaller than a covered GoPro) and features.
    At $270, you'd need a baseball bat to beat it Sounds like its seriously rugged and comes from a company that been into digital imaging from day one.

Waterproof to a depth of five meters (16.4 feet)
    Shockproof to withstand a fall from two meters (6.5 feet)
    Dustproof
    Freeze-proof to -10°C/14º F
    No protective housing required
    Built-in Wi-Fi
    Built-in 1.5-inch LCD monitor
    Image stabilizer
    Full HD – 1920×1080/30p & 1280x 720/60p (Quicktime-compatible MP4 files)
    Weight: 0.28 lbs. (126 grams)

Wi-Fi Functions

Link to a smartphone or tablet using free app
    Frame the shot using a smartphone or tablet
    Stream video to a PC or via Ustream
    Wirelessly transfer video and photos
    Wi-Video software for Windows® embedded in the camera

Other Features

Ultra-wide lens
    Time-lapse recording
    Scratch-resistant rubber-texture body
    Weight: 0.28 lbs. (126 grams)
    Digital 5X zoom
    5 megapixel stills
    SD/SDHC/SDXC card slot
    Comes with a goggle mount and flexible mount (for helmet mounting, surfboard mounting, etc.)
    Optional accessories include roll bar and handle bar mounts

Review info here: Action-Ready JVC Camera Is Water/Shock/Dust/Freeze-Proof | Mountain Bike Review

Buy it here:
    Amazon.com: JVC GC-XA1 Adixxion HD Action Video Camera with 1.5-Inch LCD - Black: Camera & Photo

Only weak points I see are (no)lens cover and no mention of how video is kept upright if the camera isn't(no rotatable lens ala Drift HD)
    2011 Canfield ONE 200mm DH 35 pounds
    2010 Specialized Pitch 29 lbs sold
    Wife: 2009 Canfield ONE also 29 lbs

mtbr member
    Best bang for your buck is the GoPro hero2 hands down!

If you got the coin, the Contour is a fancy camera.

OR if your a cheap skate you can purchase one of those Rob Dyrdek sticky camera things for like 50 bucks
    2013 Specialized P 26 AM green/purple. Nuff said

Giant Faith

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    WiFi for the gopro is the cats meow. Remote mounted on bars for biking, wrist for snowboarding (glove friendly) and on the rollbar in the Jeep for wheelin. Same camera, tons of uses and the remote seals the deal.

mtbr member
    I finally got the new Contour+2 with the GPS. I did a little write up on it on. Not the typical brochure style specs, but I provide sample files if anyone is interested in what kinds of GPS data you get from it.

Contour+2

Members who have read this thread: 0