Heikki Hall attempts 40,000 vertical in 1 day- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: downhill mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,103

    Heikki Hall attempts 40,000 vertical in 1 day

    After taking some runs with Heikki yesterday he wants to try to see if he can get 16 runs in 1 day at Whiteface.
    16 runs = 40,000' of vertical or approx. 50 miles of dh.
    This will not only be an endurance test for Heikki but his bike will be tested too.

    2 years ago we had a 10 run challenge and 2 guys did 9. No one did 10.

    I'll let you know by the end of today (Friday the 13th) how many runs he does get in.

  2. #2
    Gangbusters
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    912
    7.....8......9.....? I bet he gets in 13! Fo Shour!

  3. #3
    abolisher of A$$holes
    Reputation: irieness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,431
    ummm...those numbers are ridden all the time...only takes 8 runs at a local spot to get in 40,000 feet...

    but since it's Friday the 13th...I'll call carnage on the 13th run...if he makes it that far...
    I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions --but I don't always agree with them.
    George Bush, US President

  4. #4
    rollin
    Reputation: sriracha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,645
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    but since it's Friday the 13th...I'll call carnage on the 13th run...if he makes it that far...

    no way, 13 is a good number!

    i was born on friday the 13th, so it's kinda like a birthday for me today...even tho it's not.

  5. #5
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,117
    I was born wednesday 13

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: downhill mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,103
    Heikki ( a Lake Placid local now living in Durango and races pro for E-Thirteen) did 8 runs today due to thunderstorms that closed the gondola from around 11:00 am till around 2:00 pm. Some nasty thunderstorms came in with lightning bolts and crazy looking clouds everywhere.

    He was right on pace for the 1st hour getting in 3 runs between 10:00 am and 11:00am. The ride up in the gondola takes 12 minutes and at 8 minutes per run, 3 an hour leaves no room for mistakes.

    Since we are open from 10:00 am till 4:00 pm I guess it's possible to get a total of 18 runs in if your bike and body hold up.

    You cannot compare this to runs on Dominion or Alpine as those are generally smooth.

    Heikki did get some runs in on the 5K Downhill course wearing a helmet cam. I believe his pace on that was around 7:30 per run. This was just after the thunderstorms and an hour of pretty heavy rain.

    We are editing that footage along with other videos recently taken and they can be found on: www.downhillmike.com in a few days.
    Most of the video came out good except for when Heiiki went into "ludricous speed"

    I heard a rumor that 2 more factory E-Thirteen riders may be here on Saturday.
    After years of seeing pros in several other sports come to Lake Placid and Whiteface we are finally attracting pro mountain bikers. Yeah!

    Remember 2 years ago when they tried to close us.
    Keep coming and keep making this statement to upper management and the biking world.

    Thanks tons!
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: downhill mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,103
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    ummm...those numbers are ridden all the time...only takes 8 runs at a local spot to get in 40,000 feet...

    but since it's Friday the 13th...I'll call carnage on the 13th run...if he makes it that far...
    Where is your local spot that has 5,000 feet of vertical?
    Also 40,000 vertical at Whiteface may be more extreme than 40,000 elsewhere.

    Could you imagine 40 runs or approx. 40,000 feet of vertical at Bootleg Canyon. I can't imagine a bike holding up for that much vertical with that kind of terrain.

  8. #8
    dirt rules
    Reputation: sittingduck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,050
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    no way, 13 is a good number!
    i was born on friday the 13th, so it's kinda like a birthday for me today...even tho it's not.
    Mine's in August.... I was born on Friday the 13th too.

  9. #9
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,929
    Quote Originally Posted by downhill mike
    Heikki ( a Lake Placid local now living in Durango and races pro for E-Thirteen) did 8 runs today due to thunderstorms that closed the gondola from around 11:00 am till around 2:00 pm. Some nasty thunderstorms came in with lightning bolts and crazy looking clouds everywhere.

    He was right on pace for the 1st hour getting in 3 runs between 10:00 am and 11:00am. The ride up in the gondola takes 12 minutes and at 8 minutes per run, 3 an hour leaves no room for mistakes.

    Since we are open from 10:00 am till 4:00 pm I guess it's possible to get a total of 18 runs in if your bike and body hold up.

    You cannot compare this to runs on Dominion or Alpine as those are generally smooth.

    Heikki did get some runs in on the 5K Downhill course wearing a helmet cam. I believe his pace on that was around 7:30 per run. This was just after the thunderstorms and an hour of pretty heavy rain.

    We are editing that footage along with other videos recently taken and they can be found on: www.downhillmike.com in a few days.
    Most of the video came out good except for when Heiiki went into "ludricous speed"

    I heard a rumor that 2 more factory E-Thirteen riders may be here on Saturday.
    After years of seeing pros in several other sports come to Lake Placid and Whiteface we are finally attracting pro mountain bikers. Yeah!

    Remember 2 years ago when they tried to close us.
    Keep coming and keep making this statement to upper management and the biking world.

    Thanks tons!
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    start a new post when you have the video
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  10. #10
    OlTime XR500 JumpingChamp
    Reputation: CrystalBay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    98
    Whiteface is for sure the best mountain in the far East....

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.