Heckler or Saber- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Heckler or Saber

my friend is selling his Epic to get a more aggressice trail/ light FR bike. He finally realized he needed a new bike after we went to Big Bear for the first time. He is thinking of either the SC Heckler with a 5th coil or Azonic Saber with Romic. The bike needs to be a good pedaler also which can also take some abuse.. nothing too big though. Also the price on the Heckler is about 1100 with the 5th and 800 for the saber. If anyone knows of a place to get a good deal on heckler , let me know. What size would be good for him if he is 5'6" 140lb??
    Last edited by RockTheGeek; 09-22-2004 at 01:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Saber

Man, I know the Heckler is cool and overbuilt and lots a guys like em. But get the Saber. It will pedal great, isolate the forces of the suspension as well as braking killer. Its a Horst link 4 bar bike. They are awesome. Wheelworld has them in both sizes for 799.00. You cant beat that with a stick. Once you blow up the romic you can put a DHX on there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ha, thats funny, i thought most people would suggest the heckler.. but my friend was considering the saber at first, til i suggested maybe the heckler. so he started reading up on those and now he is fixated on that idea. he's one of those guys that once he gets his mind set on something, there's no changing him. Thats one of the reasons he got the epic in the first place, even after i warned him not to

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheGeek
    my friend is selling his Epic to get a more aggressice trail/ light FR bike. He finally realized he needed a new bike after we went to Big Bear for the first time. He is thinking of either the SC Heckler with a 5th coil or Azonic Saber with Romic. The bike needs to be a good pedaler also which can also take some abuse.. nothing too big though. Also the price on the Heckler is about 1100 with the 5th and 800 for the saber. If anyone knows of a place to get a good deal on heckler , let me know. What size would be good for him if he is 5'6" 140lb??
    These were the 2 frames that it came down to when building my new bike. I went for the Azonic because the price was better and it seems to be a bit more burly than the Heckler. I've since replaced the Romic with the new Fox RP3 and I'm loving this bike even more. I think your buddy will be satisfied w/ either bike but, you can't beat the price on the Saber.

Here's the post of my bike last week.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=48400

Live Life, Ride a Bike!

... and if we just ... Heckler!!!

I own a Heckler and it will do anything you ask of it. I am not familiar with the saber other than threads from mags or on here but I know from expierence the heckler is one bad mutha!!!!! I have it built fairly burly but I have done everything from urban to dh to aggro trail riding on it and it has never dissapointed me!! Your choice, but my vote goes to the heckler!

wait a minute....

$799?

Quote Originally Posted by artsn
    Man, I know the Heckler is cool and overbuilt and lots a guys like em. But get the Saber. It will pedal great, isolate the forces of the suspension as well as braking killer. Its a Horst link 4 bar bike. They are awesome. Wheelworld has them in both sizes for 799.00. You cant beat that with a stick. Once you blow up the romic you can put a DHX on there.
    dammm thats cheap! my five spot was 1800 and the saber looks like it but stronger. go with a fully active four bar bike. you will will be glad every hill you have to climb or go down.

mtbr member
    0.02 of the day, I'd go with the Saber, save you a buttload of cash so you can put better parts on the frame... I like 4-bars though.... I'am sure you'd be happy with either.......

mtbr member
    May 2004
    dont forget to look at the new Specialized Enduros! the 2005's r alittle stronger this year, little more travel, and in my opinion a saber/heckler mix, heckler geomtry with saber rear end in a tighter and stiffer setup. They have the SX trail too which is a lite fr bike. build it up with a Fox 36 and lighter wheels, u have a crazy trail bike that is better than both. dont forget the Kona Coiler deelux either! sweet ride. ur friend is gonna kill himself tryin to pick 1 out, this new trail/fr market has exploded for 2005!