Heckler with Fox RP3 or Manitou swinger 4-Way Air- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Heckler with Fox RP3 or Manitou swinger 4-Way Air

Hey,

Has anyone out there put a Fox RP3 or Manitou swinger 4-Way Air onto a Santa Cruz Heckler. I have both a Heckler and a Bullit; and I am looking to make the Heckler alittle more XC/trail then it is now with the 5th. If you can give me any good input, please help me out.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Have one, tried the other. I have a '99 Bullit with a Manitou 4-way air that's acting as a trail bike. The shock has a 2" stroke so the bike is fairly similar to a Heckler as it has about 5.2" of travel. The shock works quite well, still providing plushness but with excellent pedaling efficiency. The shock is over a year old and has been stone reliable. At I-Bike I rode a Yeti ASX with an RP3 on it. The ASX is a single pivot with some similarity to a Bullit. The shock had a nice pedaling platform for good pedaling efficiency and damping as good as a 5th Element. I wouldn't be afraid of either shock, and they would make a Heckler a nice trail bike. Some of these air shocks are becoming very sophisticated and plush in their operation and getting closer to coil shock smoothness.