Which is heavier, saints or hones?- Mtbr.com
    Petty and weak

Which is heavier, saints or hones?

Dear All,
    I can't find decent info on the weights of Hones vs Saints (about 1kg, I found) (83mm, 165mm). Can anyone help out?
    Thanks kindly.
    ~ Downride and Freehill, nothing else ~

moaaar shimz
    Saints

Petty and weak
    Thanks mate. Any idea by how much? I can get some cheap, but I like making my bikes lighter, unless it's really worth it.

Meh.
    There is no 83mm Hone.

The old Saint was more than 1000g.

Glad to Be Alive
    u might want to wait for the 09 saints....there are considerably lighter.....but the cost is going to be high....if you are not over 160 go for the hones or even XT's (can adapt for 83mm BB, but I wouldn't)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Petty and weak
    Was thinking about adapting my XTR's but that's a bit permanent. Hones sound like the go (spacers are available to make them 83mm), but I'd like to know how much lighter than Saints they are, as I have bent mine, and know the Saints are stronger. Thanks for the replies fellas.
    Last edited by Gruntled; 09-09-2008 at 07:22 PM.

Petty and weak
    Aha! Finally found out- the Saints are aboiut 1100g and the hones are about 950 grams. I'm getting the saints!

moaaar shimz
    Indeed, just get the Saints.-

Btw, Hones are lighter than that.

Meh.
    You can't just use a spacer to make a 68/73 crank fit an 83mm shell. The bottom bracket fits no issue. But the spindle is not long enough for proper insertion.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntled
    Aha! Finally found out- the Saints are aboiut 1100g and the hones are about 950 grams. I'm getting the saints!

is that the new 09 weights???
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Petty and weak
    Wil- I'm clueless. How do the Hones fit onto my DHR with the 83mm BB?

SMT- I believe the weights are old. But again, being clueless I could be wrong

Tacu- The hones weight is with 3 rings on. I like thinking they are heavier, anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Wil- I'm clueless. How do the Hones fit onto my DHR with the 83mm BB?.
    You Don't. The only 68/73mm Shimano cranks I've seen adapted to 83mm are the "trekking" XT's, which have a slightly longer spindle to accommodate for a larger big ring, to clear the chain stay, if I recall.

My 68/73mm Saints, with a 38T Shimano saint ring, and BB (1 spacer) weigh in at 1081g FWIW.

Petty and weak
    These have been on since 2005, so one of us is wrong....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gruntled; 09-09-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Bikes Rule
    I could be wrong, but that year DHR I thought had a 73mm BB.

Petty and weak
    Or I could be wrong, as is regularly the case. Thanks for preventing a stupid error! Looks like the XTR's are going on (unless for some reason that won't work either?).

moaaar shimz
    That looks like 73mm shell dude...

mtbr member
    Are Hones strong enough to take some DH beat?
    Ride fast, yet ride smart!

moaaar shimz
    Depends on your riding style and weight.

N* Bomber Crew
    The DHR pictures looks like a 05 which has a 73mm BB. The 07 or newer DHR's have a 83mm BB.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Premium Member
    Yes, particularly the ones with a steel pedal insert.

Dr Phil mmkay
    Strong enough for me. Of course, that's not saying much since I'm a DH newb, weigh in 125lbs wet, and ride like a pansy.

edit: I've got the steel inserts (dual ring Hones).

Petty and weak
    I'm a lightweight (160lb) so I don't have trouble with cranks, usually, except on simple things like technical specifications, where I clearly have great difficulty! Thanks guys, a lot!

Turner DHR features conventional 135mm rear dropout spacing and a 73mm bottom bracket shell (from 2005 manual).

mtbr member
    Well I have a set of 2005 Holzfeller on my bike. ISIS.
    They're slightly bent, or twisted to be exactly.
    I'm looking for a new set of cranks.
    Saint is good. But I need something lighter than my Holzfeller.
    I think a hollow forged one should be stronger than a normally forged one with the same weight. Right?
    Ride fast, yet ride smart!

mtbr member
    Was thinking about adapting my XTR's but that's a bit permanent. Hones sound like the go (spacers are available to make them 83mm), but I'd like to know how much lighter than Saints they are, as I have bent mine, and know the Saints are stronger. Thanks for the replies fellas.
    The 3 ring Hone crankset (M600) was very average and known to bend as it's just a rebadged LX (both use a lightweight aluminum spindle). HOWEVER, just to clarify, Shimano did make a dual ring w/ bashguard Hone (M601) with the same chromoly steel spindle that the XT uses (and steel pedal inserts) which was a really nice crankset for the price; not quite as strong as a Saint but certainly not the weak version as seen in the triple ring M600 version. The weight for the dual ring Hone is less than that of the old Saints by 213 grams which is significant. Unfortunately the triple ring version (and confusion over other components) created such a bad rep for the Hone name that they dropped it entirely for 2009 in favor of SLX!

And that's the REST of the story!

G MAN
    Last edited by Gman086; 09-09-2008 at 08:59 PM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Meh.
    Yeah... you're wrong.

There is no 83mm Hone... and your DHR has a 73mm shell.

Glad to Be Alive
    I'm a lightweight (160lb) so I don't have trouble with cranks, usually, except on simple things like technical specifications, where I clearly have great difficulty! Thanks guys, a lot!

Turner DHR features conventional 135mm rear dropout spacing and a 73mm bottom bracket shell (from 2005 manual).

at 160.....I would be all over the XT cranks...simply love them

Bikes Rule
    I've been running the 2-ring Hones since they came out. They are a good amount lighter than my Saints and have really held up to a lot of abuse. I am on my 2nd bike with them and they show no signs of wearing.

check your six
    I have both types of the Hones. The three ring version with the aluminum spindle and the two ring version with the steel spindle. Both work very well. I have not noticed any real differences between the two in performance. I like them and they cost 1/2 of what my Saints cost.

I am a little dissappointed that Shimano has dropped the Hones for 09', but eh.. there must be a reason. I would reccomend Hones to anyone who is not rolling in money.

I do really like the looks of the new Saints. If they cut some of the weight down for this year, they might have something good going on there.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Hones were only ever LX cranks, so surely the new SLX takes care of it?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    Hones were only ever LX cranks, so surely the new SLX takes care of it?

as sodak said they were two models...the 2-ring Hones were burlier than the 3-ring (which were like LXs)...the SLX still have 2 models with the same differences (axle, inserts)

check your six
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    as sodak said they were two models...the 2-ring Hones were burlier than the 3-ring (which were like LXs)...the SLX still have 2 models with the same differences (axle, inserts)

I have spent many hours examining the difference between the two. The only thing I can "see" that is different is the spindle and the 2-ring version has steel pedal inserts. One is steel the other aluminum. You can tell by looking at the size of the hole in the spindle. The aluminum spindle (3-ring) has a smaller diameter hole than the steel (2-ring). The aluminum spindle is much, much thicker then the steel one. Everything else is the same. So, to confirm my suspisions, I called Shimano. Asked the question of the difference between the two, and was told "just the spindle, one come with three rings, and the other has pedal inserts". I am actually running these cranks in the wrong order. I have the two-ring version set up on my hardtail using only one ring with the original plastic bash. I have the 3-ring version, stripped down to one ring with a race face bash on my Bottle Rocket. They work fine and have had no real issues with them. Other than my new straitline pedals creak like hell.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by sodak06
    I have spent many hours examining the difference between the two. The only thing I can "see" that is different is the spindle and the 2-ring version has steel pedal inserts. One is steel the other aluminum. You can tell by looking at the size of the hole in the spindle. The aluminum spindle (3-ring) has a smaller diameter hole than the steel (2-ring). The aluminum spindle is much, much thicker then the steel one. Everything else is the same. So, to confirm my suspisions, I called Shimano. Asked the question of the difference between the two, and was told "just the spindle, one come with three rings, and the other has pedal inserts". I am actually running these cranks in the wrong order. I have the two-ring version set up on my hardtail using only one ring with the original plastic bash. I have the 3-ring version, stripped down to one ring with a race face bash on my Bottle Rocket. They work fine and have had no real issues with them. Other than my new straitline pedals creak like hell.

exactly..I agree completely....

I just replaced my 3-ring Hones with the 2-ring SLX for "peace of mind" (for the pedal inserts) but not because the Hones had any problem

Petty and weak

XTReme DHRool

Sorted.

check your six
    That DHR is nice man!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    disturbingly the first incarnation of Hone cranks were actually repainted LX (identical weight even). Is this still the case?

moaaar shimz
    Depends, the 3 ring version is the same as the LX, but the M601 is a two ring version with steel spindle instead of aluminum and pedal inserts.

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    u might want to wait for the 09 saints....there are considerably lighter.....but the cost is going to be high....if you are not over 160 go for the hones or even XT's (can adapt for 83mm BB, but I wouldn't)
    wouldn't recommend xt's for aggressive use. I'm at 150 pounds and broke my M770 XT cranks within a week of lift-access riding. Upgraded to the Saints because I'd rather ride my bike hard than worry about saving weight and breaking parts. But hey, that's just me.
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    you call sitting in a chair-lift riding hard? Try riding up a mountain.

Trying a little
    Those look like 165mm xtrs

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Petty and weak
    Which ones? Those 175mm ones?

moaaar shimz
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth
    Hard for the equipment, not for your heart.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    ... But the spindle is not long enough for proper insertion.
    Thats what she said.....

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth
    appparently you never rode chair lifts all day....riding up mountains is easy...you pin your heart rate racing downhill

Members who have read this thread: 0