Headset Removal Q.- Mtbr.com
    School Bites

Headset Removal Q.

I have an FSA Pig DH Pro headset and am changing frames. And this sucker is in there tight. Any tricks of the trade on how to remove it (short of going to the LBS)? Or is that the best option for this headset?
    "Get this man a milkshake. Might have to show him how to use the straw though." -kidwoo

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by beamer
    I have an FSA Pig DH Pro headset and am changing frames. And this sucker is in there tight. Any tricks of the trade on how to remove it (short of going to the LBS)? Or is that the best option for this headset?
    Just take to the shop. If the shop is cool they'll knock it out for you for free. Heck I think just about any shop would do it for free.

Just make sure everything has been taken off like the fork, bearings, etc.

ride hard take risks
    The FSA Pig can be tough to get the bottom cup out because of the length & apparently slightly larger size. your best bet is as suggested, the LBS but is it fights them be ready to kick down some Ducats or Beer. I used a T-Handle screwdriver & hammer & it was tough to drive out. Screwed up my driver also.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Bike Ninja |||
    most shops have a special knocker-outer tool. if you bring 'em a 6-pack of their favorite brew 9/10 times they'll do it immediately and fo' free. also if it's REALLY in there spray some T9 lube in there to try to loosen it up (*note* T9 is nothing like wd40. i do not recommend using wd40)
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

PULL
    Get some copper pipe in 1 or 1 1/8 diameter, about a foot long. Next take a hacksaw and make two cuts,1 inch deep, perpendicular to each other like a cross into the top of the pipe. Take a small screw driver and slip the handel into the section you just cut in the pipe. You might want to put the shaft of the screw driver into a vice. Rock the pipe back and forth to flare the end of the pipe a small amout. Take the pipe and slip the uncut end into the headset like you are installing a fork until the flared end touches the headset. Pull the flared end through the headset till it rests on the cup. Take your favorite Big F'ing hammer and pound it out. Repeat for the other end.

Meh.
    PB Blaster is where it's at. T9 is a great lube, but for working things loose, I think PB Blaster is better. It's a penetrating catalyst.

School Bites
    Great suggestions guys. I'll try to do it myself and if it doesn't workout I'll be visiting the LBS. Thanks!
    "Get this man a milkshake. Might have to show him how to use the straw though." -kidwoo

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by beamer
    Great suggestions guys. I'll try to do it myself and if it doesn't workout I'll be visiting the LBS. Thanks!
    hopefully you are replacing the headset....because it is hard not to fvck it up
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Proper tool for the job and it is a piece of cake.

I like the park tool RT1 (RT2 for 1.5 HT)

http://www.parktool.com/products/det...50&item=RT%2D1

Members who have read this thread: 0