Headset recomendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Headset recomendations

What headset would you recomend for a demo 9 with a shiver DC. I have a King but it is giving my problems. I cant keep it tight. I was looking at a Syncros or a RF diabolus. Specialized recomends a standard insertion depth headset. Any Ideas?

Canadian at Heart
    Jan 2004
    Well, I have a 99' king on my shiver and it works like a champ. Is your frame faced and everything? You might try the king steel, it goes into the frame really deep, but it is good. Otherwise I have a cheepy fsa that works on my other bike.

V10 Freerider
    Stick with king....
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    headsets don't typically just loosen themselves.

is the facing right? is the stack height right? Top of the steer tube is cut evenly? is the star nut slipping? Races are all in the right place? (not sure on DC forks, but on SC it is frequently the fork crown race that's a beeyotch to seat properly) I'd check lots of things before deciding that a CK headset is the problem. You're likely to end up out some $$$ and with the same problem

I wanna talk to Samson!
    did you face the headtube?

is it a steelset, or a nothreadset?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoney
    What headset would you recomend for a demo 9 with a shiver DC. I have a King but it is giving my problems. I cant keep it tight. I was looking at a Syncros or a RF diabolus. Specialized recomends a standard insertion depth headset. Any Ideas?
    Obviously a broken King headset. I will give you 10 bucks if you ship the faulty product to me.

Seriously though, Kings are the best. If you are having a problem keeping it tight there is something fishy with the way it is installed (faced headtube, steerer cut etc.) However if you decide to ditch the king I will take for the 10 bucks mentioned. unless it is red then I will give you 20.

TJ

Authority is dead!
    Get a headlock dude!
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

Trials Superstar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    Get a headlock dude!
    The man is right, get an Azonic Hedlock.
    Please purchase products from JensonUSA your #1 Internet Dealer for MTB parts!

AS SEEN ON THE X-GAMES and GRAVITY GAMES! How would you like to go 80 MPH on a bike 4 inches from the ground? Well you can learn how at GravityBike.com the home for BMX Speed Machines!

2004-2005 Sponsors
    Maxxis Tires
    Targert Sponsor
    Azonic
    Hayes

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, i have called king like 3 times to try to resolve the problem. All the measurements look perfect. All I know is that it is pissing me off. I think i just need to send the king in to get inspected. A headlock sounds like a good idea. I think i will try that.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

Werd

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    Get a headlock dude!
    headlocks rock. They work great for keeping heasets tight, even Tanks.

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmoney
    Thanks guys, i have called king like 3 times to try to resolve the problem. All the measurements look perfect. All I know is that it is pissing me off. I think i just need to send the king in to get inspected. A headlock sounds like a good idea. I think i will try that.
    Try an extra spacer first. If the headset starts tight and then works itself loose there could be slightly more steerer than the stack heights of your headset, spacers and stem. If the screw in the topcap is coming loose, try some light thread locker or something.

I used to have this exact same problem with an FSA pig and though everything looked right, it wasn't. I put on an extra 1/8" spacer and it has never troubled me again.

Headsets don't just magically not work. Unless its broken (not likely for a king) then its user error and you should be able to fix it without buying anything major.