Headset n00b, need anyones recommendation- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Headset n00b, need anyones recommendation

Need to replace my headset, not sure what to get. Need something that most of all is reliable and tough and affordable. Going on my DHR, being used on a Fox 40. Pretty positive my steer tube is 1 1/8 and my head tube is 1.5, not sure of the difference between zero stack and integrated and all that. Need some help. but any help would be great!

mtbr member
    If you are interested in changing your head angle slightly the Cane Creek Angleset is an option. There are other options Cane Creek makes that would be just "set it and forget it" that would also work. Cane Creek makes good headsets so reliability and durability are there. As for affordability it depends on what the definition of the word is to you. The Angleset will cost between $150 and $200 with all of the different cups for different angles but a standard probably between $50 and $100. Another option for a great quality headset that is reliable and durable is anything made by Chris King. I don't think they have an adjustable one currently but their products are absolutely awesome.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

Slap happy crappiness
    The lower crown on the 40 will hit your downtube on the DW-DHR if you don't run an external lower headset cup. The Hope Step-Down headset gives you and external cup on the bottom giving you around 10mm extra clearance IIRC and can be had for around $100. I run the Chris King Inset I5 w/ Devo baseplate, which is just an internal topcup and external lower cup for a 1.5" headtube and 1 1/8 steerer and is around $160 I think. And there's always the go-to FSA Big Fat Pig Reducer headset which is only like $40 and lasts forever. I've never had any issues with any of the mentioned headsets and they'll all work for you.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

staike
    Quote Originally Posted by DHgnaR View Post
    The lower crown on the 40 will hit your downtube on the DW-DHR if you don't run an external lower headset cup.
    Demo bumperz.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Good info.

Cane Creek Angle Set is the most modular of those mentioned, allowing you to also run an angled lower cup, to further change your head angle, should you choose to.

Works Components headsets use external cups, which will help with the forementioned interference of crown to down tube, but also comes with an angle-set option. Look here:
    Works Components - Angle Headsets to fit Most Frame Types & CNC Bicycle Components Proudly Made in the UK

CCAS in my Yeti with no issues.

Works Components in the hard tail, no issues.
    Last edited by Rudster; 02-01-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by staikeinthahood View Post
    Demo bumperz.
    Honestly the ride height of DHR is so low the external lower cup isn't going to matter and you can avoid those flimsy bumpers (seen them fail a few times already). They fix a problem that doesn't really exist IMO, and they do a poor job at it anyways. I run external lower cup, internal upper with a spacer between crown and headset, 1in riser bars, and it's still lower than my old dhr w/ slammed fork, .25" riser bars, zero spacer. The front end is LOW.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah my current setup is external lower, internal upper, with a spacer between crown and headset with a 38mm rise handlebar. I'll probably just go with the FSA Pig for cost and reliability. Not concerned about weight too much or my front end being super low, will probably gain ~10-15mm in stack height. thanks for the suggestions!

Slap happy crappiness
    What happened to your current headset? And if you go with the Pig and ditch the spacer between the crown and headset you should probably end up around the same height as you are now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My spacer is a bit large I think it would actually lower it a tad if I removed it, I have several spacers I can toy with it a bit. My current one is creaking real bad when pressure is applied fore and aft of the fork. I took my fork off and cleaned it really well and regreased it and greased the threads on my crown bolts, still creaks. When I had the fork out I looked for damage and didn't see too anything to raise any suspicions. The crown race looked a little beat but not too bad, although I'm not very familiar with headset installation so I don't really know I suppose. I am going to have my lbs install the new one and if that doesn't fix the problem I will continue to search for the problem. Also, checked my fork while it was off for bushing play or any signs of needing a rebuild, she seems perfectly fine.

Downhill fan
    I just removed a 1.5 FSA Pig from my Giant Glory and installed the Cane Creek Angle Headset w/ -1.5 lower cup for a Slacker HT angle now @ 65.5 deg. It was nearly 200.00$ for the CCAS but worth it.
    I'm thinking about shreddin' it up right now!
    Giant Glory DH (custom)
    K2 Evo 4.0 FS XC (custom)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by csermonet View Post
    Yeah my current setup is external lower, internal upper, with a spacer between crown and headset with a 38mm rise handlebar. I'll probably just go with the FSA Pig for cost and reliability. Not concerned about weight too much or my front end being super low, will probably gain ~10-15mm in stack height. thanks for the suggestions!
    Deff, go with the FSA PIG.. screw the .07 difference in weight.

Members who have read this thread: 0