Headset Creaking?- Mtbr.com
    Downhiller
    Jun 2007

Headset Creaking?

does any one have any suggestions on how to fix a creaking headset? I just got a new Pig Headset for my DEMO 8 II w/ 888 forks ( 1 1/8 )( cut to 7.75 w/ three spacers ) + funn 888 headset, and it creaks alot. Should I add more grease to the headset? Not really sure what to do..

Im not sure if its metal on metal grinding or something wrong with the cups/bearings.Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem

Good times

Glad to Be Alive
    bran new headset....loosen it up a little might be too tight

take apart and regrease if the headset been used for a while
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I doubt you're getting a squeek from the bearings themselves. Light grease on the stem/handlebar area, all the bolts, in between spacers, and between spacer and stem. Some say no grease on the stem/steerer but I've done it for years w/o problems so try that too.

Pivotal figure
    Was it really easy to press the new headset in? Maybe a bit loose...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Downhiller
    Jun 2007
    thanks, i just picked up more grease, so hopefully this will fix it. The cups are super tight and i think it might be the sleeve that spreads /aligns the tube and the bearing. do you think there is any danger in riding the bike if it creaks? Im positive there are no cracks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have the exact same prob with my new tank hit headset let me know if greasing it works out for ya
    06 Norco Shore One
    07 Giant STP SS
    07 Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki
    07 Brodie Miscreant

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I would doubt that it is the headset creaking and more than likely the fork lowers creaking which is not really a problem if you don't mind the creaking noise and depending on how old the fork is they might cover it under warranty? but you would have to call marzocchi
    1-(661)-257-6630. hope that helps

Downhiller
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yakuzaaniki
    I have the exact same prob with my new tank hit headset let me know if greasing it works out for ya

I went to the Path Bike shop today and the guys said that it is a problem with certain headsets, they said that sometimes 1 1/8 headsets dont sit correctly and that the tolerance on the cups/bearings is off ( or the sleeve spacer that holds the fork tube tight ). they suggested a Chris king headset (expensive )or a cane creek s-3 or s-8 ( $45 bucks ). They were reffering mainly to a demo 8, but it should apply to any 11/8 tube thats similiar in height.

I tried greasing the head set and resetting the stem headset, etc, but it still creaked, theres something with the sleeve spacer that is off by a couple Millimeters and it moves and pops. its a little creepy riding down a trail when ur bike sounds like its gonna fall a part.

is anyone else running a FSA pig DH pro with 888 on a demo 8?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

demo 8 creeking headset

I am having the same problem with my headset. I just got rid of my Chris King headset on my demo 8 because the tolerance was not compatible. I picked up a Cane Creek S3 which is the brand that Specialized is recomending instead and I am still having a bit of a problem although not as bad. It is only creeking now when I turn my handlebars to the maximum turning radius points. It is still very bothersome and it will creek and pop a bit on certain angles. This whole thing is really ticking me off though because I am having to spend a ton of time taking my bike to the shop. If the shop that sold me the bike is not able to fix this I am taking it in to the Path as they will hopefully have a fix. Does anyone else have this problem or have any solutions?????

Downhiller
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mjdthunder
    I am having the same problem with my headset. I just got rid of my Chris King headset on my demo 8 because the tolerance was not compatible. I picked up a Cane Creek S3 which is the brand that Specialized is recomending instead and I am still having a bit of a problem although not as bad. It is only creeking now when I turn my handlebars to the maximum turning radius points. It is still very bothersome and it will creek and pop a bit on certain angles. This whole thing is really ticking me off though because I am having to spend a ton of time taking my bike to the shop. If the shop that sold me the bike is not able to fix this I am taking it in to the Path as they will hopefully have a fix. Does anyone else have this problem or have any solutions?????
    the path said the had the best luck with the cane creek s-8 version on the demo 8, but the 1 1/8 plus / chris king works too ( im not really sure what one this is ) I just picked up a s8 and am going to install it on friday, hopefully it will install correctly, because i dont want to ride my bike till the creaking goes away, freaks the **** out of me.. haha. Let me know if you have any luck with your s3. Does your headset also creak when you stop with your front brake really fast?

Members who have read this thread: 0