headphones while biking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

headphones while biking

im getting an ipod for my birthday and was wondering what headphones you use (if it even is good to use headphones)

I will probably be mostly using for bmx since I do it every day after school, but on the weekends when I go freeriding I might use them there also.

I was thinking of buying headphoens different then the ipod headphones, ones preferably that will stay in my ear even if im jumping around on my bike

yaha ha
    little speakers in your camleback

mistereckz
    Azonic makes a DJ helmet with little speaker built into it. $35 I think. Don't know how it works though. The only headphones I can use, without any issues (i.e. falling out or off), are the ear plug type that have the soft rubber fitting around them. They are kinda' dangerous though, as they are somewhat noise canceling, and you can't hear much even with no music on.

mtbr member
    yeah this is a great thread, i just bought a shuffle to ride/ski/workout with and need a good set of phones, the earbuds dont stick right for me when riding...Anyone have a good minimal solution?

mistereckz
    I hate earbud headphones also but these work. It takes quite a bit to dislodge them. You have to yank on the cord to get them to budge, and they are quite small. Small enough to comfortably fit under a full face. I have been rockin em for about 1 1/2 years and have had no problems, and I'm rough on my gear!
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1091101528169

MNmtbkr
    I've been using a set of Sony's that wrap around your ear. They work awesome. They don't get in the way, they stay snug in my ear and sound perfect. I bought mine at Best Buy. Go down to your local one(if you can) and check them out. I love snowriding/biking with music.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by manhattanprjkt83
    yeah this is a great thread, i just bought a shuffle to ride/ski/workout with and need a good set of phones, the earbuds dont stick right for me when riding...Anyone have a good minimal solution?

duct tape
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jabra ear buds and hellodirect.com
    "BONES HEAL, CHICKS DIG SCARS, PAIN GOES AWAY"
    07 SX TRAIL III
    07 DEMO 8

mtbr member
    skullcany makes a backpack with speakers in the strap that also holds water like a camelbak

yeah, uh............bikes
    over the ear types seem to stay put really well. somethin like these
    https://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_U...5303762_sa.jpg

mtbr member
    I've got standard earphones - but have recently purchased smething else (it's still coming so can't give you a verdict as yet).

As far as mp3 players go the sound from the stock iriver earphones is heaps better compared to stock sony ones! I was amazed.

Anyway look at something like this: I purchased the Sennheiser ones, the Skullcandy ones would be pretty similar I imagine.

https://reviews.cnet.com/Sennheiser_...-31727753.html

https://www.skullcandy.com/product_i...rs&category=38

I only paid $20Au for the Sennheiser ones off ebay, could have got the Skullcandy ones for around $40 - $50 from a store, but the local shop didn't carry any stock. Still hope I made a good choice - the Skullcandy would have looked cooler anyway but for what I paid I can't complain.
    Last edited by mtbhermit; 03-12-2007 at 07:54 PM.

DHS
    mtbr member
    i just ordered that new azonic helmet. i'll post up some pics and tell you how it goes. should be here at the end of the week.
    i am the devil

Lord of the Chainrings
    My Samsung Yepp MP3 player earbuds stay put just fine.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by mistereckz
    Azonic makes a DJ helmet with little speaker built into it........

They are kinda' dangerous though, as they are somewhat noise canceling, and you can't hear much even with no music on.
    i've been rocking the Azonic Sound Surround helmet for about 6 months now, the thing kills. i wear it on the daily and i love it...

as for noise cancelling, you couldn't be farther from the truth. you can hear the music very clearly and loud as well. but since they are actually situated higher than your temples and farther forward, they are like chilling in a room with your friends and there is a radio playing over in the corner. you can still fully hear all the noises your bike makes and even others talking to you and stuff....

the helmet comes with a cord to plug into your ipod and plugs into the back of the helmet right at the base. you can see the cord coming out of my left back pocket and going up the back of my shirt, straight up to the base of the helmet....
    Last edited by .WestCoastHucker.; 03-13-2007 at 09:38 PM.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    i've been rocking the Azonic Sound Surround helmet for about 6 months now, the thing kills...

as for noise cancelling, you couldn't be farther from the truth. you can hear the music very clearly and lous as well. but since they are actually situated higher than your temples and farther forward, they are like chilling in a room with your friends and there is a radio playing over in the corner. you can still fully hear all the noises your bike makes and even others talking to you and stuff....
    Wish they made a Giro Xen helmet version.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

When in doubt, go faster
    Mini speakers in yer pack for riding on trails, DONT use headphones or earplugs. For DJ there ok but not when you have to bea able to hear other things around you like on trails.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by =ChrisB=
    Mini speakers in yer pack for riding on trails, DONT use headphones or earplugs. For DJ there ok but not when you have to bea able to hear other things around you like on trails.
    Mini speakers in the pack suck. DO use headphones/earbuds if you like. Just ride responsibly while wearing them, and rock out.

They are quite fine for trails.

Yes, that's fonetic

as for noise cancelling, you couldn't be farther from the truth. ....
    He was talking about his earphones noise cancelling, not the helmet.

mistereckz
    The thing that I don't ever see mentioned when this gets brought up, headphones for DH/FR, is that you can't hear what's goin' on with your bike. if you are carried away with the music you may not notice something like a loose spoke or crank for instance. A problem that could be easily/quickly fixed could turn into a serious problem resulting in injury or $ that didn't have to be.

mtbr member
    music is a bad idea but i love it to much to ignore...its great to rock some tunes while riding...i think im going to check out the skull candy's...thanks for the heads up...

mtbr member
    Just received my sennheiser ones today. They will most definitely stay in the ears a lot better than the stock iriver ones. At the same time I reckon that I will have to turn the volume down - the sound is driven more directly into the ear. And I agree with mistereckz that it's good to be able to at least hear some of what's going on with the bike.

The trails I ride are pretty deserted, hardly even come across a moto rider so that's not really a concern. And as far as riding on the streets amongst cars I'd want the volume pretty low.

Use them responsibly, I guess people who wear earphones while riding are probably less likely to suffer hearing loss as most of us would naturally not have it at the deafening volume. That helmet sounds like a good idea though.

Still a child inside...

for freeridin

is cool to listen to music,
    in epic rides/xc i never do it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mistereckz
    The thing that I don't ever see mentioned when this gets brought up, headphones for DH/FR, is that you can't hear what's goin' on with your bike. if you are carried away with the music you may not notice something like a loose spoke or crank for instance. A problem that could be easily/quickly fixed could turn into a serious problem resulting in injury or $ that didn't have to be.
    You also can't hear someone say "ON YOUR RIGHT!".
    For dh I don't think it's a good idea, there's enough danger without not being able to hear what's going on around you.

I've been to some places where you get passed and people don't even let you know they are there.
    Kinda like skiers that start on there run (mid way down) without looking uphill 1st. Bad etiquette.

mtbr member
    skull candy ftw

something typed here
    I can never keep any type of earbuds in with my fullface on. One gondi lap and they are out. But I like to hear the "pffffffffffffffffff" whenever I blow a tire anyways.

EastBaySteez
    I could never got my wrap around headphones to fit in my Fullface... it doesnt really matter because when I usualy go riding its with friends and I like to talk to people and hear what they have to say not just nod
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

MNmtbkr
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    over the ear types seem to stay put really well. somethin like these
    https://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_U...5303762_sa.jpg

I had these ones for one ski outing and one bike ride. No good. They stick out and since the speaker doesn't sit inside your ear, the wind makes too much noise. Sony makes a dfferent over the ear type where the speaker is in your ear.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pants2112
    I had these ones for one ski outing and one bike ride. No good. They stick out and since the speaker doesn't sit inside your ear, the wind makes too much noise. Sony makes a dfferent over the ear type where the speaker is in your ear.
    I completely agree......I was just too lazy to find a picture of the ones like that, the link I posted was from the first set I could find from teh first guy's bestbuy link.

I bought a set of the sony ones you're talking about when I was at Walmart last month. Haven't been able to use them yet as I only listen to muzac when I'm road riding.

40 oz to freedom
    i've been rocking the Azonic Sound Surround helmet for about 6 months now, the thing kills. i wear it on the daily and i love it...

as for noise cancelling, you couldn't be farther from the truth. you can hear the music very clearly and loud as well. but since they are actually situated higher than your temples and farther forward, they are like chilling in a room with your friends and there is a radio playing over in the corner. you can still fully hear all the noises your bike makes and even others talking to you and stuff....

the helmet comes with a cord to plug into your ipod and plugs into the back of the helmet right at the base. you can see the cord coming out of my left back pocket and going up the back of my shirt, straight up to the base of the helmet....
    WCH what Ipod do you use and how do you protect it from all the falls and such?
    Looking for a used DH/FR bike, have 1500 PM me with anything you've got

My arm hurts a little
    I've had the Azonic helmet for a couple weeks now. Sounds great and u can still hear people...sometimes.
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

mtbr member
    As far as MP3 players go I'm finding the Iriver T10 to be really good - the clip is just wonderful, goes onto the camelback strap or the shorts, just wherever, no need to worry about a case or neck cord. Battery also seems to last ages as well.

Members who have read this thread: 0