head tube angle- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: head tube angle

  1. #1
    ride hard
    Reputation: the mtn man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    241

    head tube angle

    do dh bikes have a steep or sloped ht angle?
    Live to Ride, Ride to live

  2. #2
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by the mtn man
    do dh bikes have a steep or sloped ht angle?
    they run from 63 to 67 degrees, most falling in 65-66 range. It seems the current trend is slacker angles from year to year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  3. #3
    ride hard
    Reputation: the mtn man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    241

    why

    but why would someone want that? does it provide more stability? wouldnt a steep angle mean better turning and a short wheelbase?
    Live to Ride, Ride to live

  4. #4
    Pro Crastinator
    Reputation: .WestCoastHucker.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,444
    Quote Originally Posted by the mtn man
    but why would someone want that? does it provide more stability? wouldnt a steep angle mean better turning and a short wheelbase?
    all i can say is, ride a full on XC bike with steep angles and then a slack angled dh bike fast down a hill (any hill, just make it fast) and you will immediately see the benifits of the slacker geo.... stability is rule number one....


  5. #5
    ride hard
    Reputation: the mtn man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    241

    ya

    thats what i figured. seems like you want to be stable.
    Live to Ride, Ride to live

  6. #6
    Former Noob Herder
    Reputation: zedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,261
    Quote Originally Posted by the mtn man
    but why would someone want that? does it provide more stability? wouldnt a steep angle mean better turning and a short wheelbase?
    also when in a corner, the fork will compress giving a steeper angle. Sometimes a rider will bury his weight into the front, which also improves traction, steepens the angle and allows the rear to swing around. Frequently XC guys seem to be afraid of this (no doubt bike geometry is a factor) and wallow more in the corners sitting in the back seat, and get afraid of fork dive when they try out longer travel forks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslingger
    no doubt you must have majored in english or something rad!!!

  7. #7
    ride hard
    Reputation: the mtn man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    241

    what else?

    what would be considered ideal geometry for freeride, urban, jumping, and downhill? what about bb height, wheelbase, seat tube angle , and standover.
    Live to Ride, Ride to live

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by the mtn man
    what would be considered ideal geometry for freeride, urban, jumping, and downhill? what about bb height, wheelbase, seat tube angle , and standover.
    anyone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think freeride bikes usually have higher bb's than dh bikes. i think dh bikes usually have longer wheelbases, and i'm not sure on standover.
    again i could be wrong on these so please correct me if i'm wrong.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Red Bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,902
    yeah matt, shorter wheel base for umm, actually when i think about it i really dont know, easier to manual/wheelie?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    what were is gnarcal

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Bull
    yeah matt, shorter wheel base for umm, actually when i think about it i really dont know, easier to manual/wheelie?
    yeah i was thinking longer for dh cuz it would make you longer which could make you faster??? not really making sense to myself here...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by matt
    yeah i was thinking longer for dh cuz it would make you longer which could make you faster??? not really making sense to myself here...
    and fr you want a more "whippable" bike for jumps, drops, skinnies, etc...

  12. #12
    ride hard
    Reputation: the mtn man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    241

    anyone know numbers?

    you say long, how long? how high of a bb gives good freeride capability withjout raising the center of gravity too much for downhill?
    Live to Ride, Ride to live

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by the mtn man
    you say long, how long? how high of a bb gives good freeride capability withjout raising the center of gravity too much for downhill?
    i think this is all personal preference. some people like bb's high some like 'em low. and i really dunno

Similar Threads

  1. If you need to know this.
    By KevinVokeyJ24 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 09:40 AM
  2. headset stack height and head tube length
    By Earthpig in forum Tooltime
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 02:13 PM
  3. head tube and fork steerer length quesiton
    By Earthpig in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-20-2004, 09:41 AM
  4. Heckler head tube angle?
    By keen in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 01:04 AM
  5. Freeride poll
    By R_D in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 04:01 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.