Having a really hard time pulling my front....- Mtbr.com
    Teh Original Dirt Muffin
    Jul 2005

Having a really hard time pulling my front....

When I ride my Haro X6 I have a really hard time pulling up my front tire. I have to put so much force on the rear of the bike with my body that I am prone to loose control on drops/ jumps. It is very, very hard to pull up. It also is a real pain to bunny hop. I still have the stock XC handle bar mount and it seems pretty long, what should I do to correct this? The handle bars are fine and they really fit me well.

Thanks, Shredder111

Me hates pinchflat
    Are you also putting your body weight back on the bike? Besides from pulling you also have to throw your weight back. Another thing could be that you have a long stem. It is much easier to pull the bike with a short stem. How long is the one you are currently using?

Teh Original Dirt Muffin
    Jul 2005
    Oh yeah, I always shift my body mass back a bunch when trying to pull back, but its no use. My stem is pretty long, maybe 4 inches.

Thanks, Shredder111

Florida Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Oh yeah, I always shift my body mass back a bunch when trying to pull back, but its no use. My stem is pretty long, maybe 4 inches.

Thanks, Shredder111
    get a shorter stem... something around 40-50mm and it will be a lot easier

mtbr member
    shorter stem will work wonders

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111

Thanks, Shredder111
    then your solution is obvious. get a shorter stem.
    "What would happen to the Weather Channel's ratings if people werent scared anymore?"

wishiwereridingmybike
    try pulling back more with your back instead of just with your arms like you are about to manual.

Also the shorter stem will help.

kona-tize me captain
    get a shorter stem....but if u cant do that pratice just trying to get the rear off the ground, then pratice manuallin. then thor the 2 together and your set. to help u get the front of the fork up speed ur rebound up a tiny bit, and when u pull up push down your body weight that soring back up in the hop motion.( but do not rely on your suspensin to do the work for u)
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

No longer riding a haro!
    Aug 2004
    Maybe you're just weak.
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much space.

Meh.
    You should still be able to lift the front end up. Get stronger and keep practicing. Find the balance point (it varies from bike to bike).

Riding with...
    ive seen this alot. alot of kids jump in to nicer mtb's with no prior riding..(dont know if u do or not..but a x6 isnt an upgrade from many bikes so i figure ur new). my sugjestion is get a bmx and learn the basic jumping and handling skillls. soooooo many people ive seen ride just dont have the flow or style, its like all sketch, and most of them had no jumpin experience, but all of me and my friends who used to bmx can manouver like crazy and stuff. i know alot of people wont know what im talking about but the ones who ride alot will know. serious sugjesion: get a cheapish bmx bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.
    "Quick, pass the bike up again so i can hit it before it starts to hurt!!"

AIM: Haroracer842

DIRT FIEND
    Feb 2005
    I definitely agree with getting a bmx bike. I transitioned from xc racing and road to more "hardcore" stuff and one of the first things I did is getting a bmx bike. Just learning to ride some bmx does wonders for control and balance and stuff for the big bike. Before the bmx I couldnt manual for shitt, now I can actually kinda do it for a couple seconds and I'm getting better every day. Just get like a cheap haro and ride it to the ground. Also you can learn to dj, something I have yet to do, on a bmx(is this easier on the 20"?). holla

Quote Originally Posted by KevinM[Freerider]
    ive seen this alot. alot of kids jump in to nicer mtb's with no prior riding..(dont know if u do or not..but a x6 isnt an upgrade from many bikes so i figure ur new). my sugjestion is get a bmx and learn the basic jumping and handling skillls. soooooo many people ive seen ride just dont have the flow or style, its like all sketch, and most of them had no jumpin experience, but all of me and my friends who used to bmx can manouver like crazy and stuff. i know alot of people wont know what im talking about but the ones who ride alot will know. serious sugjesion: get a cheapish bmx bike.
    EAST*BAY RIDERS UNION //REPPIN DA CASTRO TO THE VALLEY YAY AREA\\

my place of occupation EDEN BICYCLES

WE BE DEALIN...
    GIANTS
    ELLSWORTH
    ROAD STUFF LIKE LOOK PINARELLO BIANCHI BLAH BLAH BLAH

Riding with...
    Quote Originally Posted by breggurns
    I definitely agree with getting a bmx bike. I transitioned from xc racing and road to more "hardcore" stuff and one of the first things I did is getting a bmx bike. Just learning to ride some bmx does wonders for control and balance and stuff for the big bike. Before the bmx I couldnt manual for shitt, now I can actually kinda do it for a couple seconds and I'm getting better every day. Just get like a cheap haro and ride it to the ground. Also you can learn to dj, something I have yet to do, on a bmx(is this easier on the 20"?). holla
    same for me, i rode bmx for 4 years (10 yrs old to 14) and i could jump good and stuff, then got in to xc and stuff, then freeride and downhill. i cant begin to say how much the bmx helped.
    Isn't the proper etiquette on this forum to wait until he posts a picture of himself dropping it, and then spend 70 posts arguing about how big it is? I mean, let's not jump the gun, without a pic of his bike in the air, we can't have photoshopped triagulations and geometrical equations showing why it's really 2 feet and not 22 feet.

Teh Original Dirt Muffin
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinM[Freerider]
    ive seen this alot. alot of kids jump in to nicer mtb's with no prior riding..(dont know if u do or not..but a x6 isnt an upgrade from many bikes so i figure ur new)

What is wrong with a Haro X6? Why isn't it considered an "upgrade"? Many people have told me it can take a real beating even in DH/FR. I do have prior riding experience (about a year, and on my other bike I could manual very easily.) It was no real quality, just a target bike, but I did lots of stuff on it I wasn't supposed to and even got fairly big jumps down with ease and very good balance. I have already learned the basics on that bike and that is why I felt I should get a safer and more durable bike for my riding style. I appreciate the help guys. Lol, check me out on my old target bike:

P.S. I did just get the bike and am trying to get my techniques down, but I just went ahead and asked incase the problem persisted, so than I wouldn't have to wait for an answer and I can act upon need quickly.

Thanks, Shredder111

Three sheets to the wind
    I guessing that you ride DH because you are on this thread. You should consider a short stem and move your seat back, you'll get it up easier (no pun intended) as well as stay on the right side of the handlebars when riding....

Riding with...
    your bike is strong, and is reliable and will take a beating, i have owned 2 haro extreme bikes, and they will take a hell of abuse. but what im saying is, there isnt tooo many bikes that are bike shop quality that you could..ahh nevermind. your right.

Glad to Be Alive
    take a side picture of your bike and another with you sitting on it
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

n00b eternal
    How big is the bike, what size?

After seeing your Huffy shot, my guess is that the bike might be a little big (a shorter stem will help). On bikes that "resist" being pulled up, a pedal stroke helps lift the front end. I do this with my lame-o road bike.

What is this nonsense about not shifting your body weight back when you manual? Am I taking crazy pills?

Members who have read this thread: 0