Have You Tried a 29er DH Bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Have You Tried a 29er DH Bike?

It's the off season, it's the magical time of year where lots of riders spend their time lusting over new parts and new bikes. The hot topic in the world of DH this off season (aside from the juggling of teams) is the big wheeled brethren coming to mass market. Two separate publications that year after year give the nod to Enduro bikes have named the Commencal Supreme 29er DH bike the Bike of The Year.

This niche of the market has been kind of stale for the last few years. With the exception of a flood of new European Horst Link bikes nothing major has been going on in the world of DH. We see the standard year over year product updates, but this feels like its going to be big and it's going to create the arms race among manufactures that we've been seeing in the Enduro segment. As consumers this will be great for us.

This past year 29er DH bikes started showing up more at local mountains, some places even had them in the demo fleet.

So...

• Have you tried a 29er DH Bike?
    • What were your thoughts on it?
    • Did it work for your ridding style?
    • Do you see yourself getting one?

I'm intrigued. I'm not a stylish rider and I can see where this could fit my riding style very well, I've always enjoyed that hammer shaped bike feel that just smashes through runs.

Up In Smoke
    Interesting thought, I'm at least a good 10 years away from a 29er dh rig, especially since the used marked will be flooded with 26ers.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by langster831 View Post
    Interesting thought, I'm at least a good 10 years away from a 29er dh rig, especially since the used marked will be flooded with 26ers.
    It is flooded with 26er DH bikes. You have your choice now.

Personally Iím not sold on it but I havenít tried it. I just got a 650b DH bike 2 years ago.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    It is flooded with 26er DH bikes. You have your choice now.
    Agreed. If you want a used 26" DH bike, the peak time to get one was probably 2 years ago. Options are still good now, but in 10 years it'll be reduced to picking through a bunch of clapped out 15 year old DH bikes hoping to find a garage queen.
    No dig no whine

Pro Crastinator
    being pretty short with short legs, i think that a 27.5" is too big for me and stay on 26" wheels, i couldn't imagine ever going 29". that said, except for the barely used 26" SC V10c i just picked up, all of my frames are custom made so following geometry isn't an issue..

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004
    The commencal was the first 29er DH bike an average person could get. I was waiting for one and put my order in as soon as I could....still waited until June for it to come in.

Iíll add that Iím a big fan of 29ers, being pretty tall. I bought the first karate monkey I could get back in 2004 (still have it). Had many bikes since then and didnít hesitate on the DH29. I still have one 27.5 but thatís going soon.

Like all the reviews say, the commencal dh29 is made for going fast when it gets rough. It inspires confidence to go faster. It isnít super playful. With enduro bikes being so good it seems like the last people left buying brand new DH bikes want to go flat out fast. ďPlayfulĒ DH bikes and long travel enduro seem to be getting closer and closer. I see light dual-crown forks blurring lines even more. My 2 cents.

Anyway, seems like all the new 29er DH bikes all about speed. That is what I wanted. I love rough technical trails. Iím not fast, but Iím a little faster on the 29.

Oh, really happy to see high pivot/idlers. Canfield knew what they were doing the last 15 years.

mtbr member
    Agreed, if your looking for the playful park bike so many of the Enduro bikes fit the bill perfectly. I can take my Ripmo almost any where lift served and be perfectly fine riding it, it only gets overwhelmed in the rowdiest of trails.

I'm 5'6 - 5'7 but I'm probably going to get one this year, I'm interested in how they will match up to my height. I haven't decided which bike yet but there is going to be a lot of options to choose from. I really like the look of the Commencal 29, the new V10 and the M29.

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Magsrgod View Post
    Agreed, if your looking for the playful park bike so many of the Enduro bikes fit the bill perfectly. I can take my Ripmo almost any where lift served and be perfectly fine riding it, it only gets overwhelmed in the rowdiest of trails.

I'm 5'6 - 5'7 but I'm probably going to get one this year, I'm interested in how they will match up to my height. I haven't decided which bike yet but there is going to be a lot of options to choose from. I really like the look of the Commencal 29, the new V10 and the M29.
    If sex had wheels, it would be an Intense M29. That thing is a work of art.

Sizing wise, I can tell you the Commencals are big. Like too long for many racks big. The M29 and V10 on paper don't look quite as long for each size but are still pretty big. They also don't make anything smaller than mediums and 5'7" is the very lower end of each brands sizing. In my experience new model DH bikes are things you need to put an order in early for. You'll probably want to have one on order by March if you want one for this summer. Each brand varies but in my experience DH bikes are something they don't like to carry extra stock on.

On the flip side, at 5'7" I'd highly recommend test riding one before I'd put money down. Pretty much every resort is going to have some 29ers this summer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hi !

I had the opportunity to rent a Supreme 29" in Andorra last summer, and I really liked it.
    The tracks are often pretty rough, there, and I had the feeling that they "groomed" the corners really nice.

Then, I rented a 27" Furious, and I realized that the tracks were just as they used to

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Organ View Post
    If sex had wheels, it would be an Intense M29. That thing is a work of art.

Sizing wise, I can tell you the Commencals are big. Like too long for many racks big. The M29 and V10 on paper don't look quite as long for each size but are still pretty big. They also don't make anything smaller than mediums and 5'7" is the very lower end of each brands sizing. In my experience new model DH bikes are things you need to put an order in early for. You'll probably want to have one on order by March if you want one for this summer. Each brand varies but in my experience DH bikes are something they don't like to carry extra stock on.

On the flip side, at 5'7" I'd highly recommend test riding one before I'd put money down. Pretty much every resort is going to have some 29ers this summer.
    Agreed on the M29, I'm a sucker for red and that bike just screams me.

I've always rode a bigger bike, currently have a Medium Phoenix which is pretty big but not as long as all of these medium 29ers. The exception to this seems to be Trek, the Session 29er has numbers that are much smaller than the Supreme, M29, V10, and they even make a small.

My only concern with the small is my weight will be back a little further and I'd probably have the wheel stuffed up my butt more than I can for. The mediums would at least center me a little more so I wouldn't get the wheel skimming as bad.

Keep on Rockin...
    I'd sure like to try a DH 29er.

But I'm still not convinced they'd be best for me even though I think on a trail bike the big hoops are better.

Wheel weight and strength does come into play. Our local hill is rough on wheels. Its old school, slick, rough, and off camber. I run burly 2.5" DH casing tires with FTD inserts and I can feel the weight of the wheels at a 275. I think I'd need roughly the same set up in a 29er and then the weight may get out of hand.

Big M, Little organ.
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ...

I'm running DH casing 2.5s with cushcore in the back and huck norris in the front. Not light but not too bad. My first DH bike had 3" Gazzaloddis with DH tubes and weighed in at almost 50lbs so its all a matter of perspective I suppose.

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by Organ View Post
    I'm running DH casing 2.5s with cushcore in the back and huck norris in the front. Not light but not too bad. My first DH bike had 3" Gazzaloddis with DH tubes and weighed in at almost 50lbs so its all a matter of perspective I suppose.
    Ha !!! I too ran a 3" Gazzi. Up front on my SC Bullit. Wouldn't fit in the back though.

All that said, I wouldn't be suprized if in 3 to 5 years I was on a 29 DH rig - if I'm still riding DH at that time.

This place needs an enema
    Yep, I've owned several. Sold my last one simply because I don't DH anymore.

Got to do back to back comparisons of 26" and 27.5" many times, largely because I was the only one with a 29" DH rig and lots of people were curious about it.

Done right, with proper reach and geo, I'm not sure a 29" DH rig has to give up anything to the smaller wheel sizes. It's a question of intent -- a Commencal DH rig designed for World Cups isn't going to be playful. Nor is an Intense, nor SC, nor Trek. They're designed and intended to get down the hill as fast as possible, period.

Long(er) travel enduro and trail sleds are much more playful, and make more sense for park use for many/most riders.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If your looking to race downhill than 29" is the only way to go, especially on most of today's downhill courses. However, if you are just looking to have fun on local trails or at the bike park, then go with a 27.5 or 26" as they are way more fun to ride where there are jumps and hits. The GT Fury 29er feels incredibly fast, but the nice thing is that you can switch back out to 27.5 on the same bike if you feel it's not for you.

https://www.gtbicycles.com/usa_en/bi...ension/gravity

May The Force Be With You
    I'll never go to the other side!!! 26Jedi ftw!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi (for sale, small)

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8 View Post
    I'll never go to the other side!!! 26Jedi ftw!!
    Given youíre riding a Jedi, I have an image of this:
    https://youtu.be/5cXDZTNnytc
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=116154

May The Force Be With You
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    Given youíre riding a Jedi, I have an image of this:
    https://youtu.be/5cXDZTNnytc
    LOL!!! Yeah! pretty much!! Although I still have a 27.5 Balance to build
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance