Has anyone actually ridden the V10 carbon?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Has anyone actually ridden the V10 carbon?

Hi all,
    I've been reading a lot of press event reviews of the V10 carbon, most of which are on the blinged out, carbon rimmed, press bike.
    Has any mortal ridden one of these yet that could provide some "real world" thoughts on the new design?

Most of what I found in searches here are "vs." questions, which often get responses from riders who haven't even seen one in person.

enjoys skidding
    What do you want to know?

They CAN take a beating. Testament to that is the bikes that were out in Whistler last year getting a beat down all day every day for what seemed like the whole season.

A mate of mine has one too - if you're worried about breakages I wouldn't be. They seem pretty burly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's not that I'm concerned about strength. I just haven't found any non industry press reviews that offered more than a list of what's changed and why SC made the changes. Based on my findings, the writers seemed to have not ridden the bike, or at least haven't offered up detailed ride reports.

Like...how effective is the travel adjust?

How much of a PITA is it to swap the travel link, swap a spring rate, and rotate the chain guide...after removing the drive side crank to get to the chain guide?

How much has the leverage ratio change had an effect on the ride vs. the last aluminum design? Have spring rates dropped across the board as one would expect?

Does the 8.5" travel mode make the V10C more bike park or jump/stunt/wall ride friendly? If so, to what, if any detriment in the 10" setting?

What does it "feel" like in either setting?

Has anyone ridden one with a coil? If so, which one, and how does it feel? Is there room for improvement? Is set up easy, or is there still something missing possibly requiring Push intervention?

You know, stuff like that...

Locs on Spokez
    Are you serious?

Like...how effective is the travel adjust? - derp

How much of a PITA is it to swap the travel link, swap a spring rate, and rotate the chain guide...after removing the drive side crank to get to the chain guide? - It's 1 bolt, deal with it. You can reach the guide screws without taking you cranks off.

How much has the leverage ratio change had an effect on the ride vs. the last aluminum design? Have spring rates dropped across the board as one would expect? - More stroke = more better.

Does the 8.5" travel mode make the V10C more bike park or jump/stunt/wall ride friendly? If so, to what, if any detriment in the 10" setting? - tSure. 10" mode is more dh friendly

What does it "feel" like in either setting? - It feels "good."

Has anyone ridden one with a coil? If so, which one, and how does it feel? Is there room for improvement? Is set up easy, or is there still something missing possibly requiring Push intervention? - RC4, buttery. I wouldn't change a thing. If you need Push placebo to make you go faster then go for it.
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

Glad to Be Alive
    local rider Intensemack10...just started riding one.....

I know on the Intense M9's they are really easy to switch from 8 1/2, 9 or 9 1/2 travel
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

bike rider
    I think there's more owners on Ridemonkey. You can ask there but the answers are: It feels really good, most people are just leaving it in 10", the Vivid Air makes swapping between travel modes easier. I haven't seen anyone Push their V10's shock so I guess people are pretty happy with the stock tune.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I only have 4 runs on mine, and making the switch I got a new fork. Out of my 4 runs, I think a lot of the difference I felt is the change in the fork, so since I have so few runs on it, its hard for me to differentiate the feel between the frame and the fork. However I have a little feedback so far:

I was on a Med M3 to this Med V10, and the V10 feels longer, which is shown in the M3's 23 TT vs the 23.4 TT on the V10.

With basically the same parts being swapped over (except for the fork, but the new one weighs almost the same as my previous one) the V10 is 3lbs lighter. I can definetly feel this, especially how easy it is to move around in the air.

Im still working on dialing the suspension so I know the settings arent perfect yet. To this end I have not tried the 8.5" travel mode, also I dont have the appropriate spring for this mode. However switching on the V10 is extremely easy. Especially since the V10 has smaller width reducers for the shock mount, you dont have to pull the reducer out to swap the spring, so its super easy.

- The engineering and build of the bike is top notch. I didnt ride the old V10, but I can say compared to the M3: the pivot axle system is much better than even the new Intense stuff (something I detailed when I got a Nomad 2 as its the same pivot axle system on that bike),
    - SC engineered the wheel path to travel and NOT have the tire hit either the seat or the back of the seat tube - this may seem small but it shows a level attention to detail and high end engineering on SC's part
    -I really like SC's rear axle system something I know other brands have but Intense never has and the new dropouts on the M9 are not a step forward as the axle doesnt actually thread into the dropout so you are therefore not really gaining much (if any) stiffness
    -being carbon the bike is quieter than an aluminum monoque frame.

Basically, so far I like it, but have a lot more dialing and testing (of 8.5 mode) to do.The only thing I think is so so is the head angle on the V10 is a bit steep for todays current trends. Obviously the bike comes with the Angleset to give you options, but if you dont want to use the Angleset youre stuck with a 65 HA (in 10" mode).

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Many thanks for your thoughts IntenseMack. That's the kind of info I was looking for.
    Leland, thanks for tip on RM, I'll do some searching over there too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenseMack10
    The only thing I think is so so is the head angle on the V10 is a bit steep for todays current trends. Obviously the bike comes with the Angleset to give you options, but if you dont want to use the Angleset youre stuck with a 65 HA (in 10" mode).
    But when you account the extra sag that other bikes don't have, in reality it is similar to 64 HA on other bikes, and 63 when you install the -1 Angleset cup. I would say it is slack enough for most riders.

Members who have read this thread: 0