Hardtail or full suspension- help me decide!- Mtbr.com

Poll: Hardtail or Full-Suspension?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hardtail or full suspension- help me decide!

Im looking to get a new bike. I just came off riding a 00 giant team dh with 02 monsters on it, and am looking for something to replace it. I want a do everything bike, even though thats not really possible. So here is my dilemma: Do I go with a hardtail like the evil imperial (or something similar that you think is better that will hold up to the abuse of some larger drops)
    or save a little more and go for a full suspension with about 6 inches of travel. I want to be able to use this for some dirt jumping as well as an occasional DH race, and some big drops (10 to 15 with good tranny) and north shore type tec riding as well. How bad is racing hardtail DH? I've heard it will make you a much better and smoother rider but is it worth it and fun? Help sway me in one direction!

Glad to Be Alive
    suspension is your only choice...REALLY.

look into a VPP, Kona Stinky/coiler, maybe even a bullitt
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Schmeow Productions
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    maybe even a bullitt

dirtbag

rfx(now known a sixpack)

norco six

chapparal

etc...

mtbr member
    If I were you I would go for a full suspension all mountain bike with 5 to 6 inches of travel. I just put one of the last upgrade on my all mountain bike and it's almost perfect. It's light enough to go up and I have enough travel to bomb the dh. I can also shorten the travel on my fork and add some air to my rear shock for dirt jumping. What I did was buy the base model and upgraded almost every part to fit my style of riding. Now that this bike is done I am going to start building a long travel FR/DH bike probably the same way, part by part. Don't get me wrong I still do a lot of chairlift riding on this mid travel (130mm front and 135 rear) bike but I still want a long travel (7 to 8 inch front and 8 to 9 rear) because I want to start doing some bigger drops and hit the DH race course with a little more bike. If I could only have one bike I would pick an all mountain mid travel bike because I like to ride all year round so in the off season I have to earn my rides by pedaling. My bike is at about 33lbs right now and pedals up hill real well.

Here's the specs of my rig:

'04 Cannondale Jekyll frame with a Fox Float w/ ProPedal rear shock (135mm rear travel)
    '04 Manitou Sherman Firefly fork (130mm to 90mm travel)
    Truvativ Holzfeller cranks w/ Gigapipe DH BB
    e.thirteen DRS chain guide
    '05 Sram X.9 rear derailleur w/ X.9 Triggers and a North Shore Billet Hanger Banger
    Sun Rhyno Lite XL rims w/ Shimano XT disc hubs
    Truvativ Holzfeller stem and bars
    Avid mechs w/ 203mm front and 185mm rear rotors and Avid speed dial levers
    IRC Trail Bear 2.25 tires
    Selle Viper Seat
    Thompson Seat Post
    FSA Convert headset

I love this set-up and I just about have it dialed in. If you want a good mid travel bike you might check out the '05 Specialized Enduro expert, the Giant Reign 2 or the Ellsworth Moment. I really like Cannondale frames and was thinking about getting the new Prophet frame only but decided to not waste the money. Cannondale really does a nice job on their frames but they use their awful "lefty" fork on every Prophet so building it up from a frame set would be the best way to go. If you were to use similar parts as the ones I did the prophet could be like a mid travel Gemini.

The bottom line really always is your budget because obviously you should buy the Specialized Enduro expert but it's $3500 which for me is pretty pricey. If you have not checked out the Giant Reign 2 it's $2200 with 152mm rear travel and a manitou Nixon with 145mm.

Hope this post help point you in the right directions man,

NoXx