Hardrock + Stance Kingpin- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Hardrock + Stance Kingpin

I am not a very harsh rider, and i'm on a VERY tight budget. i plan to use my bike mainly for light downhills, and some light freeride. i want the travel of a doublecrown, but i realize that this will be over 70mm difference from my stock fork. is my frame at a very high rish (hardrock sport) of headtube damage? i weigh ~ 140lbs, beginner rider, no really big stuff.

I live to bike
    I wouldn't recommend going with that long a fork on a hardrock. and as a beginner, not really planning to go real big, I would look into a single crown, may 120-130mm travel. it will still rake the front end out, and should be less likely to damage the headtube.

mtbr member
    yeah, i would reccomend 110-120, probably the best settings.

i run it like that, and its fine for most activities, if you dont like bottoming out, increase the oil level or change to stiffer springs.

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    I use my DJ 3 with 100mm travel to do a snowboard style jump over 25 feet,at the same time my friends are jumping it on there DH bikes,its all about body position.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    buy a manitou sherman firefly plus with lockdown you can go from 90-130 perfect for what your doing

Meh.
    Shemans can't be thrown down on in the lowered position. Don't put a DC on it. Don't put a long travel SC on it.

Florida Rider
    get rid of the hardrock frame and use the money from selling it plus some of your saved cash to get a better frame.

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    i wouldn't reccomond a DC on that bike. They aren't as week as everyone says on here, but it wouldn't be happy with a DC on it. i own a hardrock pro and i just use the stock for for 8ft drops to flats...its gets the job done, but if you really wanna get a cheap hardtail that can handle a DC fork i would reccomond selling your frame and spending 100-130bucks on a Azonic Stealhead... they don't look like anything special but steel is strong as hell. other wise go 130ish single crown if you wanna keep the frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanezrg520kid
    i wouldn't reccomond a DC on that bike. They aren't as week as everyone says on here, but it wouldn't be happy with a DC on it. i own a hardrock pro and i just use the stock for for 8ft drops to flats...its gets the job done, but if you really wanna get a cheap hardtail that can handle a DC fork i would reccomond selling your frame and spending 100-130bucks on a Azonic Stealhead... they don't look like anything special but steel is strong as hell. other wise go 130ish single crown if you wanna keep the frame.
    How much do you weigh? I also have a hardrock pro (large frame) and if i do more than 2.5' to flat I can feel the frame flex. Of coourse, i'm also 6'3" 190 #s, but...still.

Portland, OR
    I've seen hardrocks with DC's on them. I used to ride my P.2 with a stance kingpin, it was fine. I've ridden other peoples hardrocks with kingpins on them, they actually do just fine. but what you want to get is basically what i'm selling, its a 170mm "Small" kingpin. this means that the crowns are a lot smaller, so theres no problem mounting them on a hardtail.
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFox88
    How much do you weigh? I also have a hardrock pro (large frame) and if i do more than 2.5' to flat I can feel the frame flex. Of coourse, i'm also 6'3" 190 #s, but...still.
    i'm 17years old, 5'9" and i weight 132pounds and i ride a large frame also, but i doubt that matters lol. i can't feel my frame flex AT ALL and i always here people talk of this frame flexing, but i've never noticed it, but i'm fairly small for my age, so that may have something to do with it.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by revmonkey
    I am not a very harsh rider, and i'm on a VERY tight budget. i plan to use my bike mainly for light downhills, and some light freeride. i want the travel of a doublecrown, but i realize that this will be over 70mm difference from my stock fork. is my frame at a very high rish (hardrock sport) of headtube damage? i weigh ~ 140lbs, beginner rider, no really big stuff.

ride with what you have and then when you feel the bike is holding you back then that is the time to look into upgrading or new bike........so just leave it for now
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ibanezrg520kid
    i'm 17years old, 5'9" and i weight 132pounds and i ride a large frame also, but i doubt that matters lol. i can't feel my frame flex AT ALL and i always here people talk of this frame flexing, but i've never noticed it, but i'm fairly small for my age, so that may have something to do with it.
    i ride a large as well, never felt it flex.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by revmonkey
    i ride a large as well, never felt it flex.

I rode a large. I could pedal in awkward strokes and see the frame flex...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_freeride
    I've seen hardrocks with DC's on them. I used to ride my P.2 with a stance kingpin, it was fine. I've ridden other peoples hardrocks with kingpins on them, they actually do just fine. but what you want to get is basically what i'm selling, its a 170mm "Small" kingpin. this means that the crowns are a lot smaller, so theres no problem mounting them on a hardtail.
    you're kidding, right?

nothing happened to them? no headtubes shearing off? ovalizing?

Portland, OR
    Quote Originally Posted by ANdRewLIu6294
    you're kidding, right?

nothing happened to them? no headtubes shearing off? ovalizing?
    umm.....no
    Ibex bikes

2007 Ibex Trophy SS
    2006 Jamis Komodo 3.0
    2006 Ibex Zone FR-1
    2004 Special-Ed P.2 A.1

me like bikes
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    I rode a large. I could pedal in awkward strokes and see the frame flex...
    i'm sorry, but i just don't belive it... that is a little far fetched... i own two hardrock pro's. one is 05 and one is 06 and they are basically identical besides slightly different breaks and i've never felt or see either of them flex and neither as my dad who weights 180ish. cause i was telling him how everyone says they flex and break and he was jumping around on mine and he couldn't feel flex and i couldn't see it. they only thing i can feel flexing is the fork sometimes.

Members who have read this thread: 0