Hanebrink? Do they build a good forks? Any ideas?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Hanebrink? Do they build a good forks? Any ideas?

Hi !
    I am building the DH bike now and looking for a new fork...
    I would like to hear you opinions concerning the quality of the Hanebrink Forks . Any good and bad for it!
    Thank you.

mtbr member

No good nope

they build quite crappy forks. I have just a demoed one, but i wanst impressed.

Rides like wrecking ball
    Two words come to mind when the name Hannebrink is mentioned:

HORROR STORIES!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    When new, great forks, when owner fails to RTFM and perform maintenance, crappy fork.

Dan Hanebrink subscribes to the same school of thought that Horst Leitner did. Make parts that the owner can (AND SHOULD) perform regular maintenance on themselves. Problem is folks who spend lots of money tend to be lazy and fail to do the maintenance, then whine a lot when something fails (due to lack of maintenance). If you can be bothered to do maintenance on schedule, don't buy a hanebrink fork. Bear this in mind.

He builds competition worthy forks that are strong enough for MX racing (his main business is actually MX bike upgrades) that are also very light (for their size/travel/features), but they're not things like Boxxers and SuperTs that you can ignore for hundreds of hours of riding (until they start leaking oil). About the only thing I wish Dan would do is license WTB's GG ports and 1-way seals (although the US patent may have
    expired by now) so folks can add relube the bushings without dismantling the fork. There's
    no oil to contaminate afterall since Hanebrinks use sealed-damping cartridges just like all
    the truly successful MX forks have gone back to using.

mtbr member

my bud has one

he likes it, but he is selling it because he got my 03 monster t now. i think he wants $300.obo if you are intrested i can get some pics. [email protected]

Jm.
    mtbr member
    crap product, tubes are too thin (dent easily), massive stiction from massive surface area, constant relubrication required with the huge surface area, closed-cartridge dampers blow out (witnessed this). All in all, dan doesn't know how to design a mountain bike fork. Sure it "looks" like some big moto fork from a moto bike, but that's about it. Get a dorado, shiver, stratos s8, avalanche dh8, or white brothers DH3, any of these would be hands down better, better damped, better lubricated, better overall...
    Last edited by Jm.; 05-16-2004 at 09:55 AM.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Sin
    Redneck Rider

No good Hanebrink Forks SUCKKKKK!!!!!

Dont waste your money on that crap old technoligy, they just look bad ass until you take one apart and see how horrible they really are they are a big piece of ****!! They have no oil bath, and that PHD damper is a big freakin joke LOL if you get it make sure you stock op on some slick honey and a greese gun that is how you lube your stantions LOL they suck so bad worse fork ever built a death trap!! beware.
    Got Beer?

Authority is dead!

big no again

POS, the worst fork I've ever had. STAY AWAY!
    For the love of Oi

Rent a house at Attitash

I"ll see you in Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    crap product, tubes are too thin (dent easily), massive stiction from massive surface area, constant relubrication required with the huge surface area, closed-cartridge dampers blow out (witnessed this). All in all, dan doesn't know how to design a mountain bike fork. Sure it "looks" like some big moto fork from a moto bike, but that's about it. Get a dorado, shiver, stratos s8, avalanche dh8, or white brothers DH3, any of these would be hands down better, better damped, better lubricated, better overall...
    I gotta agree. I have a Monster now and it's like night and day. The monster weighs more and has less travel, but performs much better. I picked up a used one for $400 w/ replacement seals.
    IT'S A DRY HEAT

mtbr member
    I watched a friend of mine, a qualified bike mechanic, install a Hanebrink fork on his rig before a ride. On the very fist run it broke, seals exploded, oil all over his rotor and pistons. A real mess. Since then, we call'em Gonna-break forks. I hate to clown on the small guys who are trying to make in this industry, but those forks really don't hold a candle to Zokies.

I wanna talk to Samson!
    if u want a fork that will blow up in your face and possibly injure you go for it.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    When new, great forks, when owner fails to RTFM and perform maintenance, crappy fork.

Dan Hanebrink subscribes to the same school of thought that Horst Leitner did. Make parts that the owner can (AND SHOULD) perform regular maintenance on themselves. Problem is folks who spend lots of money tend to be lazy and fail to do the maintenance, then whine a lot when something fails ........
    yeah, so it was designed in a sloppy low-tech fashion, where instead of making a reliable trouble-free product with decent seals (all that it takes really), you make it into a maintenance nightmare and blame the user for being lazy when it craps out because the design permits this. These are the type of forks you may have to maintain BETWEEN RUNS, let alone between rides. My 3 year old Shiver with original seals and air springs laughs at this....

9 Lives Baby!

Hanebrink

Hi:

I had on on my M1 and I just got rid of it. Threw a Boxxer on there instead. The Hanebrink was a very heavy fork and just too stiff. I'd stay away and go for something like a Monster T, Junior T, or a 888. That Boxxer isn't bad either. Very light.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "You want bread? TWO DOLLARS!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i had a 2002 Hanebrink World Cup for *thank god i bought them used, thier over 2000 new =/* and it felt fine when it was actually working but that wasn't often. If i made it one run down the hill without something falling apart i was doing good it only weighs 8 pounds is adjustable 7-10 inches on the front but it makes my boxxer look pathetically easy to maintain. The internals fall apart my compression/rebound chamber fell apart *literally* the entire rod ripped out of the chamber. there is no bottom out bumper so when you do bottom it out the fancy *seals like nylon covering the stanctions* bottoms out on the bottom of the lower legs ripping them in half

i used mine for 3 months had them apart every ride trying to keep them working i eventually got sick of them sent them off to Hanebrink for a full rebuild, after about 6 or 7 weeks i got sick of waiting for it to come back and bought a 03 Boxxer Team. I still have the Hanebrink WC's fully rebuilt and selling for 600 without a single ride on them lol. Lost so much cash on these stupid things but theoretically they should work like new again i dont wanna put em on one of my bikes just incase i'm wrong ;p.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Best fork ever made!

Don't listen to those other guys, they are clueless. I have the lt8 and I use them for everything. Like beating up angery raccons and beavers. I drilled a small hole in the tubs for my crack bowl. I have flashing lights on them to flag down UFO's. I tell ya they are mutipurpose forks. Just don't put them on your bike.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog breath wastland racer
    Don't listen to those other guys, they are clueless. I have the lt8 and I use them for everything. Like beating up angery raccons and beavers. I drilled a small hole in the tubs for my crack bowl. I have flashing lights on them to flag down UFO's. I tell ya they are mutipurpose forks. Just don't put them on your bike.
    you are so off man, everyone knows they make exceptional potato cannon barrels and 'fun' straws at bachelor parties....

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    you are so off man, everyone knows they make exceptional potato cannon barrels and 'fun' straws at bachelor parties....
    Don't underestimate the capacity of a 45mm diameter beer-bong.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Don't underestimate the capacity of a 45mm diameter beer-bong.
    dude, its more like a beer cannon, where your friends force the legs to compress, shooting the beer down your throat. Either you'll get really drunk really fast, or you'll drown instantly....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'll take death by drunkness

not to mention some pills on the side.

Evil Dog

banned

your all too harsh...

I used to ride Hannebrinks back in '96, when they were the only thing around. I got some prototypes from Shaums back in Santa Barbara, and he told me that they are race forks, and need to be maintained after every ride. Use motor oil instead of slickhoney. I rode those for 5 years, and they worked awesome. 6 inches travel and 5 pounds was a F-ing amazing thing back then. Try to remember your roots. I had to retire them because my old Foes LTS finally broke, and I couldn't get a frame with a 1 1/4 steerer tube.

I had good experiences with them, but they needed an hour of work after every ride, that's why I say it's good for a race fork. I don't know what they are like now, but they were good then...

Peace.

Cynical Bystander
    From what I've heard over the years....Hanebrink needs a good serving of RESPECT to help his forks out. Go for a Monster, Boxxer, 888, Shiver or Dorado. You won't regret it!!!

(YAY! 900 posts!!!!)
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Former Noob Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    I had good experiences with them, but they needed an hour of work after every ride, that's why I say it's good for a race fork.
    plenty of good (and better) race forks dont need overhauling everyday though. Hell the Shiver is a better race fork and only needs an oil change every year....cheaper too.