Handlebar length concern, any ideas?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Handlebar length concern, any ideas?

I have the stock specialized big hit handlebars on my bike, they measure 26.5'' end to end, I want to shorten them for riding trees and doing x-ups, etc... Could i just cut so much off either end? I was thinking a quarter to a half an inch or so on either side. Any suggestions on how much to cut off, should I buy different bars? I would like to use these though, save some flow. thanks
    The jaded ones will wither While the optimistic grow - 311

Always get a kick out of this:
    Quote: This is America. Do what americans do. buying things that we dont need with money that we dont have. CREDIT its the american way. -nicoblue

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by W7_311
    . Any suggestions on how much to cut off, should I buy different bars? I would like to use these though, save some flow. thanks
    Hacksaw.... Bars are vmeant to be cut. You'll be suprised how much the feel changes with the smallest cuts. I run all of my bars at 26". Just make sure you have enough room before the bend to accomodate your levers and shift pods. If you're running lock-on grips, you can position everything before you cut to make sure the width is agreeable.

Pro Crastinator
    i run mine at 24" on all my bikes....

Bum Buzzer
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker.
    i run mine at 24" on all my bikes....
    I've seen some of your pics, and you've definitely got balls and skills, but 24" - either you're a small dude, or you grew up riding park!

I wouldnt recommend less than 26" for DH or big hit FR. If you ride park primarily - depending on your style - you can go as small as 22" in general.

I'm 6'8" - I leave my bars stock (azonic - ~28")

Members who have read this thread: 0