Hadley hubs: CS, Ceramic bearings and overall all A+- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bullcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,150

    Hadley hubs: CS, Ceramic bearings and overall all A+

    OK so I had some issues with a rear hub and it has been the bearings both time... First ones went belly up NO IDEA next set the bearings werent great out of the box.... They started seizing and having issues with the freehub body.
    Rob went over it and tried to rebuild it or atleast get it working so I could ride tomorrow and no go...
    Went to Hadley this morning to see what was wrong and see if it was possible to diagnose so I could get it running for the ride... mike (Hadley) took the hub went over it mic'd it and went through it... He gave me the option to upgrade to ceramic bearings while it was apart and I did...
    Ceramic bearings are SILK, the best way to describe how smooth they are....

    They roll alot better than stock, at 235lbs I coast past friends on stock bearings as it was these are faster....

    So Id like to say "thanks" to Hadley, he went above and beyond any expectations I had even being irritated with the bearings. He walked me through it and explained why he designs them the way he does as well as reasons etc... Im impressed with him and his ethics...

    Turns out bearings were a bust to begin with, they were new just a bad crop...

    OK so to what I learned about ceramic, they are harder than SS, dont chew the race up like Stock bearings, better grease designed for them as well as silicone seals so they dont crack like typical rubber.
    30% less rolling resistance with better wear characteristics.

    This whole experience was good enough I wont be running a set of I9s as my other race wheelset this year like usuall (last 4 years) I bought another set of hadley hubs and had ceramic installed in them as well. So It will be Hadley for both sets this season instead of 2 I9 sets.
    Hadleys customer service matched with quality and the fact he took time to address (user error) the issues and be polite about it was more than I expected. I already had the I9s set and ready but like a light switch after being there it clicked where my $ should go...




    Added: Thanks SMT and the others who piped up to give them a try originally!
    Last edited by bullcrew; 04-01-2011 at 02:25 PM.
    My Sponsor House

    "I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

  2. #2
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,746
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    Added: Thanks SMT and the others who piped up to give them a try originally!
    You're welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bullcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    You're welcome.


    Yep your one of them!!!!! LOL thanks....

    Tims CS matched with quality of product and overall experience made it easy....
    My Sponsor House

    "I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

  4. #4
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Reputation: Uncle Cliffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,746
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew


    Yep your one of them!!!!! LOL thanks....

    Tims CS matched with quality of product and overall experience made it easy....
    I don't think I've talked to Tim yet. But, I've been thinking of getting a new set of hoops with a gold set lately. I might have to ask about the ceramic bearings... Did they happen to mention the type of grease that they use?

    For most bearings, I repack with this stuff as it's pretty impervious to wet conditions. Your hubs will move a little slower, but I bet you'll never have to change your bearings again...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bullcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    I don't think I've talked to Tim yet. But, I've been thinking of getting a new set of hoops with a gold set lately. I might have to ask about the ceramic bearings... Did they happen to mention the type of grease that they use?

    For most bearings, I repack with this stuff as it's pretty impervious to wet conditions. Your hubs will move a little slower, but I bet you'll never have to change your bearings again...

    He didnt go into total specifics aside of the grease they use on ceramic bearings is designed specifically for ceramics.
    They use only the silicone seals and right off the bat literally they are STUPID smooth... Called rob to tell him and he mentioned hes upgrading after having a set with ceramics in the shop.
    My Sponsor House

    "I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,168
    BC,
    Do you know what is used in the Hadley's cassette body, a set of roller bearings or a pair of standard cart bearings? Is roller bearing, was it ceramic also?

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bullcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y
    BC,
    Do you know what is used in the Hadley's cassette body, a set of roller bearings or a pair of standard cart bearings? Is roller bearing, was it ceramic also?

    I beleive its needle bearings only with a dab of some thin oil.
    Never know anyone to have issues with it either they are stainless steel....

    I have ridden Kings, I9s (4 years now) and the Hadleys for several months and the Hadleys are on par with both. The kings needed a bit af adjustment more often the I9s were SOLID and aside of user error on these I know a ton of people that love theres and have SEVERAL years on them...

    I cancelled my I9s this run and went with another set of Hadleys, CS is WAY too good as well as TOO many good reviews and LONG TERM riders to ignore.....
    My Sponsor House

    "I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,168
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    I beleive its needle bearings only with a dab of some thin oil.
    Never know anyone to have issues with it either they are stainless steel....

    I have ridden Kings, I9s (4 years now) and the Hadleys for several months and the Hadleys are on par with both. The kings needed a bit af adjustment more often the I9s were SOLID and aside of user error on these I know a ton of people that love theres and have SEVERAL years on them...

    I cancelled my I9s this run and went with another set of Hadleys, CS is WAY too good as well as TOO many good reviews and LONG TERM riders to ignore.....
    100% w/ you on your exp w/ Hadley performance. Been on them for several years now, and have yet to send any back (except for a used one I picked up on PB). I've also ran Kings and DTs. Fresh, the Hadleys are amazing rollers. But DT (actually the old Hayes/Hugi) takes it for longevity! I have a 10 or 12 yr old pair of these w/ NO service ever done to them, and they're still crazy smooth rollers!

  9. #9
    Stand back
    Reputation: dbabuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,204
    Anyone know prices on ceramic replacement bearings for Hadleys?
    Golden Bike Park

    Golden Connector Trails need your support!

  10. #10
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,168
    BC,
    Did you have the bearing replaced w/ the hub laced or did you cut the hub out first?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bullcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,150
    It was laced up still....the rotor and cassette has to come off but aside of that its straight forward.
    Did a long ride today and the coasting was fast.... I ride this particular trail alot and coast a fair chunk of it there was a definite improvement in coasting.....
    My Sponsor House

    "I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fatchrisob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    38

    Best Hubs I've used

    I bought a set of Hadleys for my SX trail and was sad to see them go when I got a Trek Session and needed DH spacing and couldn't afford a new set. Soon enough I will be gettign a backup set of wheels and theres only one place I will go. Wait until the time when they need rebuilding and you rebuild them. They feel so amazing freshly rebuilt.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bullcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,150
    I just had ceramics put in my race set thats 5 months old and I just grabbed another set of blue hubs 12x150 20mm with ceramics as my 2nd wheelset that will be laced up identical to my current set so I can run 2 different tires and when I smoke a wheel i have NO DOWN time.....Fricking hate 1 wheelset and destroying a hoop in the first run of the day....

    But yeah Im sold on hadley hubs... Really good bang for the buck with really good customer service....
    My Sponsor House

    "I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,168
    Quote Originally Posted by bullcrew
    I just had ceramics put in my race set thats 5 months old and I just grabbed another set of blue hubs 12x150 20mm with ceramics as my 2nd wheelset that will be laced up identical to my current set so I can run 2 different tires and when I smoke a wheel i have NO DOWN time.....Fricking hate 1 wheelset and destroying a hoop in the first run of the day....

    But yeah Im sold on hadley hubs... Really good bang for the buck with really good customer service....
    What's Hadley getting for the ceramic upgrade?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bullcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,150
    I think it was $100 or so, I ordered them up and had the upgrade with ceramics. The shop got all the stuff to build the set I just gave em a CC....

    Heres a rebuild guide by jason at sicklines
    http://www.sicklines.com/tech/howto/hadleyoverhaul/
    My Sponsor House

    "I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.