Hadley or Chris King DH hubs?- Mtbr.com
    SXtreem now

Hadley or Chris King DH hubs?

Who has run either set of these hubs and could give me a little feedback on them? Im going to order a set next week, i just need to make my final decision. They will be going on my 07' Demo 8.

Old No. 7
    Hadleys, I'm selling some.
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    hadleys, isn't the demo 7 a 12mm axle because the chris king doesn't even come in that size.

SXtreem now
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc
    hadleys, isn't the demo 7 a 12mm axle because the chris king doesn't even come in that size.
    They are going on a Demo 8

SXtreem now
    Quote Originally Posted by fred.r
    Hadleys, I'm selling some.
    PM sent

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Looks like the Demo 7/8 uses a bolt-on hub, not a 12 mm Thru.

So, you can run quite a long list of hubs King, Hadley, I-9, Hope, etc.

I've have, and still do, run both King and Hadley and have had no issues with either. Both are super nice hubs.

Glad to Be Alive
    hadleys....king way over priced
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I would recommend Hopes. You don't get the nightmare maintenance of Chris Kings (sorry the set I had needed to be adjusted with a special tool very regularly, luckily I worked in a shop that had the tool) they are a bit less expensive than both Chris King and Hadley and some still come with a Ti free hub body.You can get them in multiple colors, spoke counts, and spacings. I have worked on all three and I think the Hopes are the easiest to fix, seem to last longer in my experiences, and still have all of the same benefits

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    Another vote for Hadleys. Mine are loud and have put up with all my abuse. Love 'em.

Chilling out
    hbracca: what was the adjustment your CK's kept needing? I'm just curious, never ran into that issue myself.

CK's rule thread in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ...

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by hbracca
    I would recommend Hopes. You don't get the nightmare maintenance of Chris Kings (sorry the set I had needed to be adjusted with a special tool very regularly,
    And with the Hopes, you don't get the quick 72 point engagement of the Hadleys either. You only get 18-24 (I don't remember exactly, but it's down there with the rest of the average hubs). If you want a mediocre performing hub, but you must have oddly anodized colors, get the Hope hubs.

I have a couple sets of Kings and a couple sets of Hadleys. They're both good hubsets. I'd recommend either for performance, durability, and asthetics.

Oh, and in regard to that special tool, a 5mm hex wrench works fine. Even though I have the special adjustment tool, I've never need to use it (and like other King owners, I had to adjust them many times during break-in).
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member

Owned several sets of both

Quote Originally Posted by brettf
    Another vote for Hadleys. Mine are loud and have put up with all my abuse. Love 'em.
    Hadleys hands down.

King = over priced
    King = hassle

mtbr member
    "King DH" probably implies 20mm front and heavy duty rear. Both of these hub axles are held in place by a collar that needs zero adjusting for days once it is set in place. I'd bet the peeps complaining about having to adjust King hubs were running the classic hubs. Kings are the shizz!!

Bike Ninja |||
    I would vote hadley out of the two choices, but, if i may, introduce a new contender,
    the Industry 9 regular hub (the one that can be laced w/ regular spokes). Still has the infamous 120 engagement points (every 3* or instantaneously at the pedal...).
    Proud to represent Mojo Wheels.

SXtreem now
    Thanks for all the feedback. I think its going to be GOLD King hubs for the red Demo!

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    DT Swiss
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

sixsixtysix
    I run Kings, and have for the past 3 years. In fact I just maintenanced mine last night, it was sooooooo hard 2 5mm allen keys, pull the drive shell and axle, spray some WD40, wipe it out and lube it with some 20w50 synthetic motor oil. Took all of about 10 minutes and now they are good to go another season. I am guessing the adjustment's others are talking about is the bearing preload cup. Once you get it set its good to go, it might need adjusting once a season, but again, takes 2 5mm allen keys and 5 minutes.

Kings are the best, Hadley's are also very nice, you really can't go wrong with either.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    While this thread is still going...

King just changed up the collar on the HD hubs to use a metric size now which is a bit more convenient. They also made the collar a little taller so that it doesn't take a ball-head allen to spin the bolt without knicking the hub.

DT Swiss - Man, seems like fewer people run these but I know a few guys who punish the hell out of their hubs and swear by DT. I just built a wheel set for a bro with DT 440's, they seem bomber and are fully serviceable like Kings and Hadleys (with excellent detail repair docs on their website). Their weights are also very competitive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Many companies spec Hadley hubs on their top-shelf DH bikes. I don't know of any that spec Chris King. Maybe there's a reason...

The Chris King Classic (non-disc) hubs are bombproof - I have a set on my road bike that are 10 years old with very little wear on the freehub mechanism. But some of the ISO disc hubs are not bombproof. I had a set of ISO discs where the rear non-drive-side bearing preload cup would not stay tight - I would have to re-tighten every 1-2 rides on my trailbike. This is something where you either get a bad hub that will never stay tight, or you get a good hub that stays tight. Not worth the risk considering the premium price, IMHO.

SNOWRIDER
    HADLEY

nuff said
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

Members who have read this thread: 0