Gyro - Disc brake Compatability?- Mtbr.com
    REALLY?

Gyro - Disc brake Compatability?

I'm thinking I might want to learn barspins, are gyros compatable with disc brakes?
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

Meh.
    Yes, mechanical discs can be set up with gyros. But gyros destroy the feel of the brakes. It's easier just to have a long piece of housing and cable.

There are also hydraulic gyros, but they're not real mainstream yet.

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Yes, mechanical discs can be set up with gyros. But gyros destroy the feel of the brakes. It's easier just to have a long piece of housing and cable.

There are also hydraulic gyros, but they're not real mainstream yet.
    ahh what?
    Interesting...
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

Look at the time!
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    ahh what?
    Interesting...

Trickstuff Tr!xer:

wanted: Cannondale Lefty w/ V-brake studs

mtbr remember
    yeah, but you can't properly set-up a normal "MTB" Avid BB7 (that we are all familiar with) or hayes mx/etc., with a gyro from a bmx. The gyro doesn''t have enough travel to take up the slack needed with a V-brake style lever.

You will need a "ROAD" version of the Avid BB7, which is meant for short pull road levers, and, coincidently, will work with a bmx lever as well, such as an ODSY Mono or Diatech Dirt Harry, etc...

and before you go laying down coin for a gyro conversion set-up, make sure your front tire will clear your foot on the forward pedal, and your bars will clear your legs as well.
    Schralp it Heavy.

mtbr member
    Thats weird but nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by shredder111
    Can I paint your rockring, silly bun salad?

i like rocks
    man i love gyros! especially after i've been drinking.

mtbr member
    just get a long cable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Set up properly you can not feel a difference between a gyro and straight cable. Problem is most people don't have the patience to set-up a gyro properly. They can take some tinkering.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    yeah, but you can't properly set-up a normal "MTB" Avid BB7 (that we are all familiar with) or hayes mx/etc., with a gyro from a bmx. The gyro doesn''t have enough travel to take up the slack needed with a V-brake style lever.
    Actually, you can set up a gyro using V-brakes/long pull MTB disc mechs. You will however be almost to the limit of its cable travel using the stock cables. Replacing the splitters with Primo Perverts allows a little more cable adjustment.

You will need a "ROAD" version of the Avid BB7, which is meant for short pull road levers, and, coincidently, will work with a bmx lever as well, such as an ODSY Mono or Diatech Dirt Harry, etc...
    This will make life a little easier during set-up.

and before you go laying down coin for a gyro conversion set-up, make sure your front tire will clear your foot on the forward pedal, and your bars will clear your legs as well.
    Practice X-ups. If you can X-up past your foward foot without hitting it, you can bar-spin without hitting it. As far as your bars clearing your legs, most street/dj frames are long enough that if you pinch the seat with your knees the bars will clear your legs. Practice doing bar-spin manuals. Once you got them on the ground you can take them to the air fairly easily.

Quote Originally Posted by cummings
    just get a long cable.
    After many 10+ years of riding with a gyro, this is what I do, mostly due to linear brake cables becoming available. These cables allow for a spin or two without binding the cable.

HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

Members who have read this thread: 1