Gwin goes to Trek.- Mtbr.com
    Living Ghetto Fabulous!

Gwin goes to Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    i knew that over a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    that makes you pretty awesome man, good job.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    Well, I fired up the Delorean 10 years ago...

Now this thread must die as I was sniped by one minute on this. He also had a Delorean.

Slap happy crappiness
    Cool story, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Now this thread must die as I was sniped by one minute on this.
    Maybe so, but your title has no grammatical errors. So you win.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Just roll it......
    Bravo for you! So, since we're talking about poorly kept secrets, maybe we should talk about where Stevie Smith is going as well? Hmmmmm,,,,,it's so hard to figure that one out!

Good for Aaron. He's definitely on a great product with a solid team and management/support. Looking forward to him crushing it next year.

EB

mtbr member
    He sold out no diff than Sam did with Speshy. One thing IS for certain - I'd rather give up the sport than be seen on a Trek or Speshy! Those two are destroying the sport if you ask me (or just ask any one of the many companies they've RUINED).

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - TREK BLOWS!!! (watch I get banned for that!)
    Last edited by Gman086; 11-10-2010 at 11:02 AM.
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086
    He sold out no diff than Sam did with Speshy. One thing IS for certain - I'd rather give up the sport than be seen on a Trek or Speshy! Those two are destroying the sport if you ask me (or just ask any one of the many companies they've RUINED). I hope he fails miserably.

Have FUN!

G MAN

I know!!! right!!!

God forbid that a professional rider helping raise the profile of the sport actually try and make a living out of it! Idiot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    He sold out no diff than Sam did with Speshy. One thing IS for certain - I'd rather give up the sport than be seen on a Trek or Speshy! Those two are destroying the sport if you ask me (or just ask any one of the other companies they've RUINED). I hope he fails miserably.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Gman, you must be retarded. Or you just choose to look at one side of a situation. You think that because Gwin is off Yeti he's not 'core' to the sport? You think that Yeti hasn't sold out? They are no better than Trek. Trek probably produces more bikes in the US due to their carbon stuff than Yeti does. Yeti farms out almost all of their bikes to overseas factories. 5.75? Overseas. ASR's? Overseas. 7's? Overseas. I think the 303 RDH might even be overseas, but I'm not sure. DJ? It is just painted overseas, seriously. It is cheaper to do that than have it done here. They do this while touting their Colorado roots as well. I'm not even trying to hate on either of them, those are just the facts. They do what they need to in order to survive as companies.

Bottom line is that Yeti supports DH a ton, and that's a good thing. Trek supports DH a ton, and that's a good thing. At this point in time with the sport it is a rad thing that Gwin is paid (probably still less than he's worth) to ride DH.

You also said he was a sellout... Lets see, I'm going to train my ass off, not go to college, quit the possibly more lucrative moto thing, and then just get paid pennies on the dollar for risking my neck DH'ing. That's dumb, and Gwin's not. He's doing what he needs to do to make a living, and he works for it. It is not like Yeti didn't have the chance to keep him. Think about that.

Oh, and your Sam Hill comment? I totally agree. He should still be riding for Iron Horse, he totally sold out. He should still be with them after they were a sinking ship of a company and declared bankruptcy. If he was core he would just train for tips. Hill has stayed with Troy Lee after lots of other offers came his way. On the bikes side, he's been with one suspension company ever since he was out of juniors. He's been on two different bike companies, since 02? Hardly a sellout and that shows some brand loyalty.

Don't be a *******.

Slopestyle Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by zzsean
    I know!!! right!!!

God forbid that a professional rider helping raise the profile of the sport actually try and make a living out of it! Idiot.
    What this guy said...

mtbr member
    No way, bro! I also heard he's going to be riding that 9" travel 888 you were talking about!

And don't forget-

<object width='500' height='275'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='AllowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/158521' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/158521' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='275' allowFullScreen='true' AllowScriptAccess='always' /></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Well Sam was in a bad situation but now he can switch to Turner or Pivot and start winning again, LOL! LOVE the comments so far... keep em coming fanboys!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Well Sam was in a bad situation but now he can switch to Pivot and start winning again! LOL LOVE the comments so far... keep em coming fanboys!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Fanboys?

Sorry, but it doesn't take a fanboy to recognize that your comment lacked foundation and support in it's entirety.

Get SMART!

Slopestyle Rider
    Fanboy? How about a former pro bmx vert rider who's been through the sponsor thing more than once... not your "flow" deal either. Salaried factory rider, dude. Riders have to think of themselves when it comes to getting paid, not brand loyalty. You break your neck, the company keeps going... you're just a number to a sponsor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Well Sam was in a bad situation but now he can switch to Turner or Pivot and start winning again, LOL! LOVE the comments so far... keep em coming fanboys!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    start winning again? didn't he just win world champs?! doesn't anybody care about that? he came back after an almost season ending injury and won at worlds?! thats huge.

Selling out? because companies are bigger? I'm sick of this "only little companies are legit" attitude in mountain biking. Its stupid. There are absolutely b1tching bikes coming from every angle, and doing anything other then celebrating is dumb.

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by joelalamo45
    Fanboy? How about a former pro bmx vert rider who's been through the sponsor thing more than once... not your "flow" deal either. Salaried factory rider, dude. Riders have to think of themselves when it comes to getting paid, not brand loyalty. You break your neck, the company keeps going... you're just a number to a sponsor.
    So if you are paid by a bike company to ride and perform for them and can't perform and they fire you how is this any different then how life in general works for any successful company out there??? Of course you are a number. They make a financial decision on you and if you don't live up to the money they output on you then they have to take the funds elsewhere as to make a better financial decision. This is how every successful business operates and succeeds. If they were to make a bad decision and not correct it appropriately they could face failure. Is that what you as a rider who has underperformed would want???

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jeng
    So if you are paid by a bike company to ride and perform for them and can't perform and they fire you how is this any different then how life in general works for any successful company out there??? Of course you are a number. They make a financial decision on you and if you don't live up to the money they output on you then they have to take the funds elsewhere as to make a better financial decision. This is how every successful business operates and succeeds. If they were to make a bad decision and not correct it appropriately they could face failure. Is that what you as a rider who has underperformed would want???
    I think you guys agree?

Locs on Spokez
    A few of my homies ride for Trek so I'm not gonna bag on them but I am gonna say I would have figured Gwin went for a different company.......

Hope it works out well for him. GO AMERICA
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

Urban Ninja
    He sold out no diff than Sam did with Speshy. One thing IS for certain - I'd rather give up the sport than be seen on a Trek or Speshy! Those two are destroying the sport if you ask me (or just ask any one of the many companies they've RUINED). I hope he fails miserably.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Well aren't you a real d-bag! Trek supports the bike more than any other company I've dealt with in my 15+ years in the bike industry. Sorry to break it to you but they are the bike advocates of the decade. I suggest you stop speaking about thing you have no idea what you are talking about, okay thanks.

mtbr member
    Well aren't you a real d-bag! Trek supports the bike more than any other company I've dealt with in my 15+ years in the bike industry. Sorry to break it to you but they are the bike advocates of the decade. I suggest you stop speaking about thing you have no idea what you are talking about, okay thanks.
    Hey, I'm just sayin what everyone else is THINKING and afraid to say! SO... go back to your garage full of Treks and Speshies you childish name calling FANBOY! ROFLMAO!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Slopestyle Rider
    Yes. You just repeated what I said.

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    Hey, I'm just sayin what everyone else is THINKING and afraid to say! SO... go back to your garage full of Treks and Speshies you childish name calling FANBOY! ROFLMAO!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    You think that because we applaud a young and upcoming rider for getting bumped up in pay grade and getting a ride on a team managed by someone the likes of Martin Whiteley that we own (or even like) Trek or Specialized bikes?

I wouldn't buy a Trek or Specialized but I am very happy that they are finally getting serious about the Downhill bike market and investing in top racers.

Heh - Idiot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Man, 90% of this is BS.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people.
    - Admiral Hyman G. Rickover

mtbr member
    You think that because we applaud a young and upcoming rider for getting bumped up in pay grade and getting a ride on a team managed by someone the likes of Martin Whiteley that we own (or even like) Trek or Specialized bikes?

I wouldn't buy a Trek or Specialized but I am very happy that they are finally getting serious about the Downhill bike market and investing in top racers.

Heh - Idiot.
    LMAO! THAT IS MY WHOLE POINT!!! Trek BUYS their way into everything (and tend to mess up EVERYTHING they buy into)! Just ask Klein, Bontrager, or Fisher about that! LOL They're like the Ted Turner of the Bicycle world... sounds like most of you are too young to figure any of this out???

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - If you can't beat them, BUY THEM Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight???

Mojo0115
    Nov 2004
    LMAO! THAT IS MY WHOLE POINT!!! Trek BUYS their way into everything (and tend to mess up EVERYTHING they buy into)! Just ask Klein, Bontrager, or Fisher about that! LOL They're like the Ted Turner of the Bicycle world... sounds like most of you are too young to figure any of this out???

Have FUN!

G MAN

PS - If you can't beat them, BUY THEM Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight???
    You think that more money in DH racing is a bad thing?

Yeah, I give up... move along nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    You think that more money in DH racing is a bad thing?

Yeah, I give up... move along nothing to see here.
    At what cost is the question... would you sell your soul to the devil???

Move along!

G

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Great minds discuss Ideas....

-Implies that Gman's is the only great mind here, as he is discussing ideas.

Average minds discuss events....

-Implies that trying to understand the series of events that have led to team change make us all intellectually inferior to Gman

Small minds discuss people....

-Implies that we're just a bunch of lowlifes incapable of productive thought.

See? Vandemann was right, after all.
    Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Have FUN!

G MAN

Actually, fisher gets to ride all the mountain bikes he wants, still has a hand in designing them, gets to smoke all the weed he wants, and gets his name on everything. bontrager is the same deal - lives in SC, rides bikes, has everything paid for and covered. bontrager components have gone up in quality 10fold since trek took over, and klein was overpriced hype to begin with. so far trek has improved all of them pretty through and through. The only one they didn't improve was lemond.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i'm 100% with gman on this and kudos for saying what's really up.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Screw you guys.....I'm going home!
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member

WOW just WOW

Quote Originally Posted by sambs827
    Great minds discuss Ideas....

-Implies that Gman's is the only great mind here, as he is discussing ideas.

Average minds discuss events....

-Implies that trying to understand the series of events that have led to team change make us all intellectually inferior to Gman

Small minds discuss people....

-Implies that we're just a bunch of lowlifes incapable of productive thought.

See? Vandemann was right, after all.

WOWWWWWWWW..........This is by far one of the SMARTEST quote I have ever heard in this forum.

Excuse me sir, are you referring to George Vandemann the Seven Day Adventis television minister? and if so which one of his writings are you quoting?

Only interested in reading that paragraph, possibly chapter in its entirety...I've found that after you read the entire quote. statement, paragraph, chapter, etc, it doesn't really apply to the matters discussed for which the quote is used. Nevertheless, this is a nice quote to dig further into.

thanks.

Oh, and BTW have you guys ever played a board game called MONOPOLY. It is alot of fun when you are winning, it sucks ball when you're force out to sell everything.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by hozzerr1
    WOWWWWWWWW..........This is by far one of the SMARTEST quote I have ever heard in this forum.

Excuse me sir, are you referring to George Vandemann the Seven Day Adventis television minister? and if so which one of his writings are you quoting?

Only interested in reading that paragraph, possibly chapter in its entirety...I've found that after you read the entire quote. statement, paragraph, chapter, etc, it doesn't really apply to the matters discussed for which the quote is used. Nevertheless, this is a nice quote to dig further into.

thanks.

Oh, and BTW have you guys ever played a board game called MONOPOLY. It is alot of fun when you are winning, it sucks ball when you're force out to sell everything.
    I was merely poking fun at the posts above, Gman, and MIKE Vandeman...ya know...the crazy self-proclaimed smart guy who hates mountain bikers. He hit a fella with a hand saw a while back if I recall...

But back to the topic at hand, I don't see what the big problem is with fellas switching to Trek and Speshy. The fellas are trying to make a living. No different than going to work for a different company if the company you're working for doesn't suit your needs.
    Go ride your bike.

mtbr member
    Speshy's and Trek's, are cheaper than Pivots or Turners.

The smell of hipster is strong here.
    About buying a bike:
    Quote Originally Posted by No MSG
    It's like finding a wife. Personality is important, but you gotta look at that face every morning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    anyone saying its a bad thing, hasnt ever been on the pro circuit.

If your pro, it means you pick who pays best, in terms of more then just dollars, but it doesnt mean you should pick the smallest companies out there, you move on, its a career, its NOT a contest of who is hardcore enough for the morons out there like gman.

I say good on gwin for getting a better paid, more organised camp, -- im NOT bagging on yeti, i love them used to buy their frames, they have one of the best talent developing programs on the planet, but fact is, they are a small company compared to most of the others on the WC circuit, And subsequently, cant keep a high profile rider signed for very long.

and the fanboy comments cos everyone disagrees, is a classic troll skill

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Heard he was switching companies but i didn't see trek coming.... don't see how it is really a good thing or a bad thing either way. Yeti is known for finding talent then having that talent peace out to a different company after they've gained experience and higher rankings on the DH circuit.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Yeti is a great company to kickstart a pro MTB career. Problem is they don't have the budget to pay their pros enough to make a legit career such as the bigger companies. They have a excellant reputation, and when riders leave, it's usually on good terms.Look at the icons that started their career with Yeti. You've got to respect them for their effort, considering their size. Other than Santa Cruz what other small/med companies still have full sponsorships?
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim F.
    Yeti is a great company to kickstart a pro MTB career. Problem is they don't have the budget to pay their pros enough to make a legit career such as the bigger companies. They have a excellant reputation, and when riders leave, it's usually on good terms.Look at the icons that started their career with Yeti. You've got to respect them for their effort, considering their size. Other than Santa Cruz what other small/med companies still have full sponsorships?
    Yep, Yeti has a well documented history of helping launch prominent racer's careers. They do have an impressive race program for a company of their size as well.

I don't see how you can consider Santa Cruz a small/medium company, those days are long gone.

mtbr member
    Whats a Gwin?

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by bug-rex
    Whats a Gwin?
    Uh, for real?

mtbr member
    Uh, for real?

I wondered that about the whole thread

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by LonesomeCowboyBert
    I wondered that about the whole thread
    You I see, are from the UK. So I can understand. The other guy's an American, posting in a downhill forum...

For all the ignoramuses:

<object height="450" width="800"><param value="true" name="allowfullscreen"/><param value="always" name="allowscriptaccess"/><param value="http://www.vitalmtb.com/vplayer/2376%2Emp4" name="movie"/><param value="xml_path=http://www.vitalmtb.com/vdata/009697f14de45b62875fc20d2420aea5?embed=true" name="flashvars"/><param value="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="type"/><embed src="http://www.vitalmtb.com/vplayer/2376%2Emp4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="450" width="800" flashvars="xml_path=http://www.vitalmtb.com/vdata/009697f14de45b62875fc20d2420aea5?embed=true"></embed></object><p style="margin-top: 0;"><a href="http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/Yeti-Cycles-Rider-Bio-Aaron-Gwin,2376/Yeti-Cycles,2748">Yeti Cycles Rider Bio: Aaron Gwin</a> - More <a href="http://www.vitalmtb.com">Mountain Bike Videos</a></p>

mtbr member
    I was only kidding.

Just representing the "I could care less I just want to ride" crowd.

meow meow
    For all the ignoramuses:

<object height="450" width="800"><param value="true" name="allowfullscreen"/><param value="always" name="allowscriptaccess"/><param value="http://www.vitalmtb.com/vplayer/2376%2Emp4" name="movie"/><param value="xml_path=http://www.vitalmtb.com/vdata/009697f14de45b62875fc20d2420aea5?embed=true" name="flashvars"/><param value="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="type"/><embed src="http://www.vitalmtb.com/vplayer/2376%2Emp4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="450" width="800" flashvars="xml_path=http://www.vitalmtb.com/vdata/009697f14de45b62875fc20d2420aea5?embed=true"></embed></object><p style="margin-top: 0;"><a href="http://www.vitalmtb.com/videos/member/Yeti-Cycles-Rider-Bio-Aaron-Gwin,2376/Yeti-Cycles,2748">Yeti Cycles Rider Bio: Aaron Gwin</a> - More <a href="http://www.vitalmtb.com">Mountain Bike Videos</a></p>
    ignoramuse. long shot but do you listen to chris webby? only place ive heard that. and g man whats up? usually you seem pretty smart but you are being straight up retarded. an up and coming biker wants to up his level in the sport, oh no he must be the devil!

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    ignoramuse. long shot but do you listen to chris webby? only place ive heard that.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Uncle Cliffy]You I see, are from the UK. So I can understand. The other guy's an American, posting in a downhill forum...

For all the ignoramuses:

/QUOTE]

You I see, seem to think I dont know who/what your talking about....fact is matey, I just wondered why I should care

Your American, ill forgive you

mtbr member
    Bravo for you! So, since we're talking about poorly kept secrets, maybe we should talk about where Stevie Smith is going as well? Hmmmmm,,,,,it's so hard to figure that one out!
    =======================

Where is Steve Smith going?

Now with More Wood

Move along!

G
    The DEVIL? Seriously? You are just baiting here mate...

Remedy, Session 88, Demo, SX Trail, Stumpjumper, Epic...go back through the years and find me ONE really bad review of any of those bikes? In fact, if you rode any of them, did they seem like bad mountainbikes to you? Do you not think that these brands are helping to move the sport forward AND more and more into the mainstream (which is only ever going to be good for EVERYBODY in the long run)?

You seriously think that the smaller brands are so much cooler because their owners "do it for the love of the sport", or "welded our first frames in this here garage"...well, guess what? Most of the progress of this sport as a whole comes from the big names and their bully boy tactics ramping up production capacity to a level where it becomes profitable for other companies to design and manufacture things like...oh I don't know, derailers, suspension, tires....you know, all that stuff that all your cool brands have to put on their frames to turn them into bicycles. Yes, shockingly, Turner and Pivot spec Shimano (EVIL EMPIRE ) stuff all over the place...and despite what it says on your new brakes, they aint exactly corporate SAINTS, you know...

So the small guys get to charge 3g for a frame, because you can buy all that other stuff real cheap (which is probably more complicated to produce than looking up the best angles on the internet and setting up a jig to weld some tubes together). That's OK though right?

The truth is, I love the small brands. I ride a small brand bike. And I think it's cool that they are putting their hearts into welding a piece of art that we get to ride around on - but they would not be able to do that if it wasn't for the big boys driving the costs down on all the other stuff, AND creating much more demand on the whole. And I really don't think its reasonable to expect a top talent in DH to stick with his "roots" supplier just because he needs to show that he is still down with you and your Turner/Pivot/whatever. The guy has a whole life ahead of him, that has to be somehow supported on what he is going to achieve over the coming few years - hoping that injury won't put a premature end to it, or that the results suddenly dry up, or whatever (who would want to bet it all on having a Steve Peat career? 1 in a million that guy...).

I guess you think Palmer was a sellout too, for having that big mobile home and the fancy cars? Specialized and Mountain Dew - sheesh - way too corporate - tats or no tats.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    THIS thread makes my head hurt.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by NorKal
    THIS forum makes my head hurt every time I log in anymore.
    Fixed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    wtf is it with the boutique brand whores? its like your personal identity is tied up with overpriced bike frames

im glad for him, and im especially glad that he has stayed with an american brand.

Im definately going to root for him, and Im really excited to see what he can do with the Session. Havent been too blown away with that bike so far.

Living the High Life
    He sold out no diff than Sam did with Speshy.
    You can't sell out in a sport 95% of the world doesn't even realize exists.

Some people use the term sellout because they're jealous. You really just want to get paid to ride your bike. Its ok, we understand, most of us are not that good. Wanna E-hug? Feel better?
    You have just been mentally Rick Roll'd. Yup you're thinking about it right now aren't you? Don't fight it.

Just roll it......
    Well, played Gman! Nice bait there.....

Gwin is a consistent top dh'er these days. Martin Whitely runs a well-oiled team with a boat load of support for their riders - both domestically and in Europe. While it's all unicorns and rainbows to think that Gwin would stay with Yeti, he's also entitled to make the best living he can while he's at the top of his game. Let's be honest....not everyone is going to have the longevity that Peaty has had, so guys like Blenki, Gwin, Leov, etc. need to take care of themselves while they are still a hot commodity.

Racing is good fodder for discussion, but here's the thing that I care most about: having trails to ride my bike on. Without trails and gaining access to future areas, this discussion, let alone mt. bike websites, doesn't even exist.

Why is this pertinent to this discussion? Because folks are making both of these brands out to be the devil. The fact that both Specialized and Trek prodded the bike industry into donating nearly $600k to the Public Lands Initiative is very important to me (and should be to you too) and they both put their money where their mouth was. These companies know that without trails, they don't have bikes to sell. Beyond the $100k Trek donated to the PLI, they also donate $10 bucks to IMBA from every full sus bike they sell.

Something to chew on beyond "Gwin being a sellout" and "Trek is the devil" rhetoric that's being spewed on the interwebs.

Cheers,
    EB

the test dummy
    meh trek wouldn't be my first choice but hey it will definitely put him in the spot light more
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member

Have FUN!

G MAN

You realize Yeti's whole team (save Graves) is based around up and comers, right? They don't keep top guys around– they bring in the next guy who's going to explode onto the scene. Saying that Gwin sold out or something just makes no sense. If you're going to ignore what everyone is telling you, don't bother posting here, you're not impressing anyone.

mtbr member

Now I'm a whore?

"Boutique brand whores" Evan55? Cuz a Session or a Demo is where you go if you are on a budget

Funny to read this same thread on the Yeti forum. No hate for Gwin at all from those "boutique brand whores". Just good luck, thanks for the good races and can't wait to see the next guy on our "overpriced" frames.

I like my Yeti, Giant and Ibis. And I hope Evan gets a good bang for the buck on the ol' Huffy plus Walmart is open 24/7 so you can pick one up any time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman2058
    The DEVIL? Seriously? You are just baiting here mate...

I guess you think Palmer was a sellout too, for having that big mobile home and the fancy cars? Specialized and Mountain Dew - sheesh - way too corporate - tats or no tats.
    LOL - Of course I was. I could care less what Gwin does; I just love taking jabs at the Trek fanboys who get all bent out of shape when you diss mother Trek!
    Ya'll have to admit tho it's a drag that the smaller companies just can't afford to pay out the big bucks to keep the best talent under their label. And at what point DOES money corrupt? Where is that line? Is Trek and Specialized giving away thousands as biking goodwill ambassadors OR are they paying off insiders for greater control over the industry?

As for Palmer - mad skillz but too flashy for me. And he did catch a LOT of grief over that.

Have FUN!

G MAN

mtbr member

Have FUN!

G MAN

You DO realize that Bontrager sold his company to Trek because he didn't want to spend his whole life running a bike company? You also hopefully realize that Gary Fisher sold his company to Trek so he could have the financial resources to do what he wanted to do with bikes, namely be a huge innovator of city bikes. Last I checked, Klein was losing favor in the market and he sold out as well to pursue his own ventures, which would be manufacturing high powered telescopes.

So please, learn to read and do some research. I guess Santa Cruz and Intense are bad because they bought the VPP license from Outland?
    The arsonist has oddly shaped feet!

mtbr member

Have FUN!

G MAN

Sooo if you were a strong up and coming dh racer and a large bike brand was offering you a contract for more money than you made on your last team, better support, strong teammates to work with and train with, and an opportunity to further your career... You'd just turn them down?

Ok, that's a smart move. Just deliberately hold yourself back in life. Man, what was Gwin thinking?

mtbr member

Have FUN!

G MAN

Sam can start winning again? When did he stop?

2010 world champ
    2009 world cup points leader
    and he was on the podium (more often than not in first) just about every race in 09.

He had a blown up knee and shoulder this season. Physical injury isn't due to the bike you ride. Even though he was injured he still came back and randomly dominated the world champs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by his dudeness
    Sam can start winning again? When did he stop?

2010 world champ
    2009 world cup points leader
    and he was on the podium (more often than not in first) just about every race in 09.

He had a blown up knee and shoulder this season. Physical injury isn't due to the bike you ride. Even though he was injured he still came back and randomly dominated the world champs.
    C'mon now dudeness... Sam was DOMINANT on his Sunday. It wasn't about whether he would win, it was more like who was going to finish 2nd and 3rd behind him. Since his switch he's been very beatable and looks human again; I love it and, I'm sure, so do many others like Peaty and G! I can't disrespect Sam tho, like was already pointed out, he didn't have many options at the time. I don't see him being a Speshy lifer tho (hope not)!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Committed
    C'mon now dudeness... Sam was DOMINANT on his Sunday. It wasn't about whether he would win, it was more like who was going to finish 2nd and 3rd behind him. Since his switch he's been very beatable and looks human again; I love it and, I'm sure, so do many others like Peaty and G! I can't disrespect Sam tho, like was already pointed out, he didn't have many options at the time. I don't see him being a Speshy lifer tho (hope not)!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Yeah, it's all about the bike....

Commit or eat sh!t
    One of the worst threads on MTBR. MTBR is becoming worse than Pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider
    Yeah, it's all about the bike....
    Nope, it's about THE SHOES silly! And you know what they say about making assumptions...
    I never said it was about the bike but Karma can sure be a real beeyaaaaatch!

G
    Last edited by Gman086; 11-10-2010 at 05:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles...ation_bias.htm

In short, you start off with a preconceived notion that something is good or bad, and any time you hear something that confirms it, you take it for irrefutable evidence that you're right. However, any time something goes against you're preconceived notion, you discard the evidence and assume its not valid.

Arguing with somebody with such a powerful confirmation bias is like banging your head into a brick wall, I recommend stop feeding the troll (gman)

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike the primer
    =======================

Where is Steve Smith going?
    I would venture that would be Devinci. Canadian company now firmly attached to the "DW teet" (ala Evil), Stevie's old Cove buddy is there now (formerly @ Evil), now let's just hope the rest of the Evil story doesn't follow suite....

Trek is a great place for Gwin. Onwards and upwards. A few years ago neither Trek nor Specialized had a DH team. Don't tell me the presence of the 2 largest bike mfg's in the world is a bad thing for DH racing. That is just retarded.

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable0guy
    One of the worst threads on MTBR. MTBR is becoming worse than Pinkbike.
    the pink bikers must be migrating.... if thats so does it make it ok for me to offer 2 man whores and a mexican prostitute as a trade for a bike
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

Moose Member
    Wheres Stevie going?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/articles...ation_bias.htm

In short, you start off with a preconceived notion that something is good or bad, and any time you hear something that confirms it, you take it for irrefutable evidence that you're right. However, any time something goes against you're preconceived notion, you discard the evidence and assume its not valid.

Arguing with somebody with such a powerful confirmation bias is like banging your head into a brick wall, I recommend stop feeding the troll (gman)
    Silly lemmings.... Treks are for kids! ROFLMAO

mtbr member

Have FUN!

G MAN
    Dude:

Sam would be dominant on any bike he throws a leg over. It is never about the bike. Regardless of what you might think, Iron Horse made a good bike but had a bad business model and failed. They never were a small time player, but actually quite big, so your hate of large corporations doesn't really hold water since Iron horse was one till they went under. Peaty is on Santa Cruz... As much as they like to give the impression that they're small, they're not.

And sam having actual competition over the past few years... Well thats how dh racing goes. People train harder to win and if you're not then you'll fail. Once again, its not about the bike. If bad karma got me a win at world champs and points leader in the previous years world cup then sign me up.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by insanitylevel9
    the pink bikers must be migrating.... if thats so does it make it ok for me to offer 2 man whores and a mexican prostitute as a trade for a bike
    You were in the first wave of immigrants, weren't you?

mtbr member
    I don't have ANY hatred towards large corporations. ONLY the ones who think they need to throw their marketing weight around and BUY their way into the market by throwing big bucks at athletes and cheating smaller companies out of their businesses and ruining their employees lives. I own an Iron Horse and would gladly own a Giant. Some companies DO have scruples even tho they are large. And yes, IH had poor management but they hurt no one but themselves!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Even if I only get ONE rider to reconsider a Trek or Specialized purchase, this thread (and the bashing I'll take) will have been WELL WORTH IT!!! AMEN TO THAT!

mtbr member
    I don't have ANY hatred towards large corporations. ONLY the ones who think they need to throw their marketing weight around and BUY their way into the market by cheating smaller companies out of their businesses and ruining their employees lives. I own an Iron Horse and would gladly own a Giant. Some companies DO have scruples even tho they are large. And yes, IH had poor management but they hurt no one but themselves!

Have FUN!

G MAN

Even if I only get ONE rider to reconsider a Trek or Specialized purchase, this thread (and the bashing I'll take) will have been WELL WORTH IT!!! AMEN TO THAT!

Ummmmmm, yeah. You really don't know what you're talking about man. You're contradicting yourself with the IH comment, IH went belly up due to their selling fleets of bikes to Randall Scott to sell at wholesale prices thus screwing the little man (ie-local bike shops). IH also hurt Dave Weagle by not paying him what was contractually agreed upon and selling products with his name on them for below market value. He sued them and is now suing the company that bought the name in order to simply get a paycheck.

And Giant? Really? You really think that Giant is smaller than Trek or Specialized? You might not be able to wrap your head around it but Giant is actually a taiwanese company that has an office in the US. Giant manufactures frames for other companies and profits off of them, matter of fact they're by far the largest bicycle manufacturer in the world... Trek and Specialized combined aren't that big. Just because they don't have massively dominant riders in the dh scene doesn't mean that they're a "little guy" and should be overlooked. They still have pro tour squads, they have world champion xc and super d riders, Giant isn't hurting at all.

Moose Member
    I would buy any bike as long as it rides good

sure i have some preferences on company, but hey, if i get a good deal on a trek or a spec or an IH or anything, im going to take it. i wouldnt decline a good deal because it wasn't the right brand.

Now really, who is it rumored that steve smith is going to?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't have ANY hatred towards large corporations. ONLY the ones who think they need to throw their marketing weight around and BUY their way into the market by throwing big bucks at athletes and cheating smaller companies out of their businesses and ruining their employees lives...

Of course they BOUGHT their way into a market. That's how markets work, you enormous ******nozzle.

William42 is right. Are you even reading all these excellent arguments that are being thrown at you? And have you got any real examples of said companies cheating people out of business and ruining people's lives?

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck
    You were in the first wave of immigrants, weren't you?
    lol no the pink bike take over started after i joined so
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Always enjoy how the word "sellout" appears in the first 3-4 posts on any thread like this.

Poseur twits.

mtbr member
    I will probably never buy a Trek or Specialized but I sure as hell would ride one if if they gave me the bike and a paycheck. Good for Gwin!

Gman, you are an idiot. Gwin is doing what all professional athletes do, going to the team/place that pays the most.

In the 90's EVERYONE rode for the big guys because they paid the biggest salaries, WTF is wrong with that? Not everyone can be a trendy rich as fukk ****** bag like Brian Lopes and go to a small comapany like Ibis. Lopes also made millions when he sold out to GT and Cannondale in 90's and early 2000's

Now with More Wood
    ...Even if I only get ONE rider to reconsider a Trek or Specialized purchase, this thread (and the bashing I'll take) will have been WELL WORTH IT!!! AMEN TO THAT!
    But what if your thread made MORE people aware of Gwin's sellout, and now they are all buying Sessions instead of ubercool Yetis to be like him....oh noes....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. I recommend rereading my previous post that so obviously went over your head. Can you point to examples of trek shoving people out of the way? Because you sure as hell have been given lots of examples of trek supporting the local race scenes, the local mountain bike scenes, the bigger picture mountain bike scenes, race scenes, road scenes, and generally being there for the riders. So far the only examples you've provided were people who willingly sold their companies to trek because they wanted money more then their company. Not to mention, that in most of those cases, trek went on to greatly improve the brand.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz
    Of course they BOUGHT their way into a market. That's how markets work, you enormous ******nozzle.

William42 is right. Are you even reading all these excellent arguments that are being thrown at you? And have you got any real examples of said companies cheating people out of business and ruining people's lives?
    Dont waste your breath, the guy rides a bike from a bankrupt company and trashes another that can ACTUALLY survive in the market place. There is no reasoning with fanatics. Its the MTB Taliban
    Last edited by bing!; 11-11-2010 at 12:40 PM.

mtbr member
    I don't have ANY hatred towards large corporations. ONLY the ones who think they need to throw their marketing weight around and BUY their way into the market by throwing big bucks at athletes and cheating smaller companies out of their businesses and ruining their employees lives. I own an Iron Horse and would gladly own a Giant. Some companies DO have scruples even tho they are large. And yes, IH had poor management but they hurt no one but themselves!

Have FUN!

G MAN

This comment only further solidifies the fact that you really, honestly have NO idea what goes on behind the scenes in the bike industry.

Your comments are so left field and far from the truth that I'm starting to wonder if this is all just a joke on your part.

mtbr member
    I own an Iron Horse and would gladly own a Giant.
    Didn't Giant try to use their money and power when they knowingly produced Maistro frames that were basically DW link bikes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Don't really give two sh*ts for who he's riding for. As long as he is winning some races.

Gwin is super talented. Had the consistency this year just needs to team it up with the higher placed finishes. Only two years under his belt doing this good. Can't wait to see him ride next season.

'MERICAH!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Franz

Uhm STRATOS for example???

You peeps are really uninformed eh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boogenman
    Didn't Giant try to use their money and power when they knowingly produced Maistro frames that were basically DW link bikes?
    Hush now! LOL Yeah I'm watching that lawsuit closely. DW will certainly tell you that but the Giant fanboys in the mfgr forum here will crucify you if you talk such heresy (don't ask me how I know this ). They insist it is totally different but I'm not so sure, I just know it works!

And dudeness - OF COURSE I know Giant is huge, they just play a lot more "fair" than T or S has.

Cheers,

G
    Last edited by Gman086; 11-11-2010 at 08:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    lol at the DW brainwashed zombies

Floating pivot has been around a long time before bicycles, DW didnt invent it. He plays the patent game well, but thats it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    This comment only further solidifies the fact that you really, honestly have NO idea what goes on behind the scenes in the bike industry.

Your comments are so left field and far from the truth that I'm starting to wonder if this is all just a joke on your part.
    A joke? Dowst, please play along here....

Here's the deal. Some of us have the genetic superiority to have been able to withstand all of this Trek and Specialized mind washing and see right thru their marketing BS. Some... not so much. BUT I have GREAT NEWS for the unlucky ones!:
    I have heard (from my good sources, mind you) that Trek is starting a new venture wherein they will be raising capital for their Wilderness buyback program (to make it look like they care - double win). The real interesting part is the way in which they intend to raise this capital. They intend to have a public offering of what they are calling an "MRP" or Mind Repurchase Program wherein you will be allowed to purchase your brainwashed mind back to it's original state. Now the cost for this won't be small (I've heard anywhere from $10-15,000) and there is one caveat... Specialized has already purchased ALL of the futures for this program! What that means is that not EVERYONE is going to get their minds back!!! Ownership will simply be transferred to big S! AND... get THIS! They are also planning to offer an SRP to Team Riders! THAT'S RIGHT! A soul repurchase program!!! Now again there is a caveat... The price will be ludicrous (a half million and up) so those Team riders had BETTER be good or they'll have to try option 2. Specialized... oh yes, once again, has purchased all of the futures for that transaction too. My good sources tell me they will then take over the ownership of said souls and offer them back on a LEASE to OWN basis! The catch there is that the lease is similar to a balloon loan. Said riders need to come up with the coin during the next three years of racing or then the price balloons to over a MILLION dollars! Both Trek and Specialized are expecting windfall profits from this IPO and will start the cycle (pun intended) all over again.

SO... There you have it!

Thanks for PLAYING!

G
    Last edited by Gman086; 11-11-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!

meow meow
    gman, i am getting the feeling your preferred headwear is a tin foil hat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan55
    lol at the DW brainwashed zombies

Floating pivot has been around a long time before bicycles, DW didnt invent it. He plays the patent game well, but thats it.
    You're a fan boy.

DW link is magic. And Dave Weagle is the second coming.
    Last edited by jcook1989; 11-11-2010 at 10:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    gman, i am getting the feeling your preferred headwear is a tin foil hat.

Im a Cowboy
    That whole "discuss" thing is sooooo pinkbike 2002
    DON'T TELL ME I'M STILL ON THAT FECKIN' ISLAND! ....

mtbr member
    Hush now! LOL Yeah I'm watching that lawsuit closely. DW will certainly tell you that but the Giant fanboys in the mfgr forum here will crucify you if you talk such heresy (don't ask me how I know this ). They insist it is totally different but I'm not so sure, I just know it works!

And dudeness - OF COURSE I know Giant is huge, they just play a lot more "fair" than T or S has.

Cheers,

G
    You pissing on two athletes for making a career move is ridiculous. Should Sam have just ridden these past two years on his clapped out iron horse without any replacement parts or financial support from a company that doesn't exist anymore because you're still an IH fanboy? Should they have gone to a boutique brand and received a smaller paycheck and less race support just to please you?

The fact is that just about every top ten dh racer in the world is going to be on a larger company. They're not going to ride for companies that can't pay them or are now bankrupt and don't exist. If you are going to piss on Sam and Brendan and now Gwin for making a career move then please don't leave out Peaty, Minnar, Bryceland, The Athertons, Hannah, Kovarik, etc. Bummer dude but this is the real world.

And Specialized didn't screw Stratos if you're reffering to the inertia valve technology that Stratos claimed Specialized stole even though its a pretty well known fact that inertia valve suspension has existed in F1 racing long before Stratos ever existed. Stratos copied F1 racing... Specialized did too... Stratos made a horrible product and thats why they went out of business.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrustyOne
    That whole "discuss" thing is sooooo pinkbike 2002
    So you're saying my title is a cliche?

Or you're complimenting me cause I wasn't on Pinkbike in 2002?

Members who have read this thread: 0