Guide to building a bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Guide to building a bike

Hey

I just bought a new frame and I want to move all the components on my current bike over to the new frame. Does anyone know of any good websites that offer good tech tips and guides on building up a bike?

Or even guides on drivetrain and gears because I think those might be the areas where I might have some trouble because I'm not too familiar when it comes to working with cranks, bottom brackets, etc.

Thanks,

Dustin

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm going to be a bit of a wet blanket and suggest that you just take it to a shop - unless you're willing to spend some money on tools and run the risk of breaking parts.

You'll need a 10mm allen key, a crank puller, a bottom bracket tool, a headset remover, a headset press, grease, and a set of small allen keys. A repair stand makes the job a lot easier. A torque wrench is also a good idea for some parts.

You can do most things other than the headset yourself, but bike building is often a trial and error process that can be costly if you don't know what you're doing. Cross thread something accidentally, and you can wreck a part. Strip the bolt hole, and that's a whole new series of problems.

Just my $.02...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    hmmm doesn't sound too encouraging...maybe I will do what I can with the tools I have but bring the rest to the bike shop for him to finish it off.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    this is a a fairly good site, http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/fix/, and you could always buy a book at your local shop or book store and read it if you wanted more info.

Glad to Be Alive
    find a riding buddy with the knowledge.......don't do it the first time by yourself (unless you are mechanically inclined but the headset and BB might be best done at the shop)
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dustinp43
    Hey

I just bought a new frame and I want to move all the components on my current bike over to the new frame. Does anyone know of any good websites that offer good tech tips and guides on building up a bike?

Or even guides on drivetrain and gears because I think those might be the areas where I might have some trouble because I'm not too familiar when it comes to working with cranks, bottom brackets, etc.

Thanks,

Dustin

Sheldon Browns website is a very good tool:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

Also check out park tools website:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    headsets can be pressed in with about $5 in nuts,washers and rod stock. the BB tool was perty cheap too.. Check out nasbar for their brand of tools. i got a chain whip and cassette tool for less than $10 for both.

Myspace is lame.
    www.pricepoint.com

sette crank puller for both isis and square tapered, and the sette BB tool. I believe 6$ a peice. I bought some they work great. Or get the whole sette tool kit and that has a lot of parts you would use.
    All your bases are belong to us!

mtbr member

You can do it!

If you are mechanically inclined, you can do this on your own. As another poster said, however, you will have to invest in some tools to get the job done right. Nevertheless, you don't have to spend tons of money on all of the tools Park makes for the job. A lot of tasks can be done with simple tools you have lying around the house or with less expensive versions from your local hardware store.

For example, specific tools like BB removers, crankpullers, cassette lockring removers, chainwhips, etc. you just have to pony up for and buy. With that said, I have found surefire ways to perform other tasks for dirt cheap. I slam headset crowns onto forks with a piece of PVC pipe from Home Depot that cost me a dime. I install headset cups with grease, an old leather wallet or old nylon cutting board (to dampen the blows) and careful, alternating hammer blows. I remove headset cups with a hammer and a ratchet extender. I use two old stems as a saw guide for cutting steerer tubes. I don't own the stand, but would like to get one. You get the picture. The key is to understand how basic tools work and, especially, to understand what parts of your bike are most vulnerable. I have built/crossed over parts on about a dozen bikes with high-end stuff this way without a problem. I taught myself all of this stuff on my own, but I'm sure having a knowledgeable buddy would help.

I recommend the websites 006/007 mentioned and Sheldon Brown's - if you want a book, I think Leonard Zinn's "Zen and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance" can't be beat. You definitely have to have one or all of these as a guide. If you overtighten or cross thread certain things you will want to kill yourself.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Well thanks everyone for all the replies...I will do what I can with what I have, but if something gets too complicated then I will play it safe and bring it to the LBS because I'm not that mechanically inclined.

Thanks all

Members who have read this thread: 0