GT Chucker vs GT Ruckus Help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

GT Chucker vs GT Ruckus Help

I am just looking for some help in comparing these two bikes. I dont really understand the difference / benifit of the geared bike vs SS.

I currently ride alot of road and cross country mtb. I am just tired of taking my fancy mtb bike downtown for urban rides. I suppose a bike like either of these will be much more adapt to wheelies, manuals and drops.

Just looking for a fun bike to ride around in. nothing to fancy if anyone has any other options in the same price range.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    go ss for urban rides, cuts a little on weight and adds siplicity, but also maybe look at a specialized P bike or a transition TOP

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I got a p.street that i dig, gotta change the stock fork which is poo, i like cromo though, also have a banshee scratch which is freaking awesome, it truely manuals for you... as for inexpensive frames you should try finding a rocky mountain flow dj, i use that for my urban assult freeride rig.... I picked mine up for about 250 at jenson... it works for single speed or geared ops. I'd recoment settign up your rig with a 11-22 rear cassette a short cage shifter and maybe a 32 tooth chain ring with some uber protection on it. ohhh and can't beat a u turn pike... least in my opinion.

I AM I AM
    For urban I'd check out the Giant STP as well.

To understand single speed just leave your XC bike in the 32 / 16 gear combo or something like that next time you head out for a ride down town. Just simpler and means you can't go as fast up / down the hills depending on the ratio. For street it's probably ideal, for XC you'd want to think carefully about what ratio you used depending on your terrain etc.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help everyone. I just got back from the bike shop and ordered the ruckus uf. Since its sole purpose will be urban i went with the single speed. I stuck with the GT brand because I suppose I got a good deal. It retails for somthing in the 650 range and i ordered it new for 460. hopefully i will get some pics up when i get it built up in about a week.

I AM I AM
    Sounds good. Last year when I was looking into an all purpose HT I predominantly heard that the Ruckus is better than the Chucker, mostly in regards to components / frame lasting longer. There was just the impression that the Chucker was more targeted at shchool aged teenagers, whereas the Ruckus was just, hmmm i suppose just better.

So seems you've made a good choice purely from "what I've heard around the forums" LOL. Don't ya just love the internet! Anyway they seem like nice stron bikes to me, I considered buying a 2nd hand one for my husband once but wasn't entirely happy with the components.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by inferno218
    Thanks for the help everyone. I just got back from the bike shop and ordered the ruckus uf. Since its sole purpose will be urban i went with the single speed. I stuck with the GT brand because I suppose I got a good deal. It retails for somthing in the 650 range and i ordered it new for 460. hopefully i will get some pics up when i get it built up in about a week.
    I hooked up my buddy with a Ruckus UF24. And it is a ill bike for the price. If the Ruckus rides anything like it's littler brother, I think you'll be pleased. I'm thinking about picking up one of these to romp around campus on.

SS is where it's at. Simple, cheap, light(er).

I think the Ruckus Alu is overbuilt and just hideous.

Members who have read this thread: 0