Grrrr....rider down- Mtbr.com
    Broken and dizzy

Grrrr....rider down

Well, had a really lame stack at Sea Otter Thursday and I ended up fracturing the radius on my left arm in three places right at the wrist. Urgent care doc was saying it's gonna need surgery, probably a plate and screws. (meeting the ortho surgeon later today for a more thorough exam)

So to the guys that have had the full hardware, what's the process? ie - do they leave all that stuff in there or do they have to do another surgery to remove the plates and screws? Just trying to get mentally prepared for what's coming down the line.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

wrist hardware

Quote Originally Posted by Surfinguru
    Well, had a really lame stack at Sea Otter Thursday and I ended up fracturing the radius on my left arm in three places right at the wrist. Urgent care doc was saying it's gonna need surgery, probably a plate and screws. (meeting the ortho surgeon later today for a more thorough exam)

So to the guys that have had the full hardware, what's the process? ie - do they leave all that stuff in there or do they have to do another surgery to remove the plates and screws? Just trying to get mentally prepared for what's coming down the line.

I think its a smart move to go with the surgery....the healing time will be shorter/improved. I was lucky enough to recieve the most up-to-date plate/screws available when I broke my radius/ulna a couple years ago. I have a Ti "t" plate and 9 screws holding my right arm/wrist together and I never feel it. The only reason I know its there is the scar from the surgery. I would say...dont break the rules and ride with your cast...just wait until its off. I did, however, squeez therapy clay to keep things moving as much as possible once I was able to move my fingers around. Stick to the PT as well....I did and I was back on the bike in 6 weeks.

Not sure if this helps at all.

TSD

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i have a 6 inch metal plate in my right forearm, it has been in there for almost 4 years. it is the better way to go, i never had a cast, and was able to shower only 4 days after surgery. i was able to go swimming 2 weeks after surgery.
    recovering from surgery isnt fun at all, but it is faster than being in a cast for 6 weeks or more

Jackalope Hunter
    You probably will need surgery, but I wouldn't trust anything the urgent care dr days. Get a good ortho's opinion for sure.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

Trying a little
    depends on how old you are. In my teens and twenties I snapped about 15 bones in seperate incidents, mostly skateboarding. Never had surgery for any of them, and they're all rock solid. Now in my late 30's, they don't heal so good no more. But it's hard to tell because the docs are real trigger happy for surgery now they have all these cool toys they didn't have 20 years ago, so it's almost impossible to find a doc that will say let the bone heal on it's own.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Broken and dizzy
    Thanks for the replies so far....I actually saw a local ortho guy on Friday. He only "sets" bones, no surgery. He had the same prognosis - surgery.

Fortunately (maybe?) I have a post shoulder reconstruction surgery appointment with the ortho guy that fixed me up on that issue. Being almost 40 sucks in the recovery dept.

mtbr member
    Do you care if I asked what happened, how'd you fall? Seems like you had a bad fall, so i'm just curious what happened.
    Yeah I had a few injuries reccently, but nothing that bad(broken nose, tore my shin up, sprained thumb).
    Hope you feel better man.

PULL
    In terms of taking the plates/screws out, it depends what they put in and also how your body reacts to it. I've had a ti plate and screws in my jaw for over 11 years.

N* Bomber Crew
    I almost had to have screws and a plate inserted into my left elbow when I broke off a chunk of my "growth plate". Instead they put me in a sling for a few weeks.

From my understanding in certain injuries they will do surgery twice. Once to put the hardware in, once to take the hardware out. I think it depends on the situation. If its a mild injury I think you can expect to have the stuff inserted and removed. It's a little scary to think about at first but everything will end up all good!
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

Broken and dizzy
    Not too worried about the hardware staying as I already have a Ti screw in the scaphoid on my other hand. I'm just not into having surgery twice.

As to what happened: I was hitting a tiny step up. Front wheel started sliding out from under me as I went up the face. Front tire then barely skimmed the lip on the landing side and continued to slide out as I went down the backside. Bars went 180, took 'em in the gut, then my hand slid off the bars and just stuffed the ground. Solid shot to abdomin (still really sore) and multiple fractures of the radius head.

Capricious youth...
    Dude... STOP HURTING YOURSELF!

Do the surgery thing, get er' done, and heal up so you can hit Northstar with us when all the trails are open at at the beginning of June!
    Meh.

N* Bomber Crew
    Wait, Surfinguru, were you involved in the Livewire Pileup?

I got involved in a Live Wire pileup on OPENING DAY. My friend did a front flip....over the fence. I dodged 2 bikers, then washed out over the bars.

Such a tease Northstar Building crew, make 3 sick table tops, then just END the trail. Looooove it!!!
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    after speaking with the wife(will be a doc in a year) if its closer to the wrist its prob going to need pins with multiple fractures like that. On the bright(er?) side its only one surgery. once there in they stay. She wanted me to include the disclaimer...not always the case though.

really sucks mans sorry to hear, cant stress enough the whole enough rest for everything to heal followed by some heavy rehab PT and the at home variety.

good luck

Broken and dizzy
    S'up Mike, yeah can you believe this crap?!? Almost 3 months to the day from shoulder surgery and I do this. Bah!

Anyway, just got back from seeing my ortho surgeon (same guy that did my shoulder) and I'm going under the knife on Friday. "T" plate with 3 - 4 screws to put it all back together. 2 weeks in a soft cast, then 4 in a soft brace. Doc already said I'll be able to ride, albeit mellow, in 4 weeks. We're not sure if the hardware will stay or go. Doc says we'll check at 6 months and see what's up.

@ Raptordude, yeah, I piled HUGE on Livewire. Not opening day though. Guess they shut the trail down while they put me on the ATV?!?

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    Dude... STOP HURTING YOURSELF!

Do the surgery thing, get er' done, and heal up so you can hit Northstar with us when all the trails are open at at the beginning of June!
    Seriously! Stop hurting yourself bro.

mtbr member
    Sorry to here it, hope you feel better. Bashed my shoulder Saturday night doing Ninja laps in the dark on my pump track.I have to agree with Dusthuffer I'm not sure I want to see a doctor, I'm sure they would be more than willing to hack into me and have me make a boat payment. Gonna give it a couple more days and hope it will free up. 40 too and not wussing out yet.

ride hard take risks
    Going in is fine but removal suxz. Had a rod in my Femur after breaking it in half it broke loose & sliced me up internally. Had that puppy removed & it hurt big time after removal surgery.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Capricious youth...
    Well, at least this'll be a speedy jump into surgery and then out.

6 weeks in casts and then back on some mellow riding isn't bad, man. Josh was out for like, what? 3-6 months?

You got it easy... not that it doesn't suck.

I expect to see you up at The Star in July or August!
    Meh.

Flyin Canine
    No Rich they didn't shut down the trail while they loaded you on the ATV. Dang dude, your memory is jacked after that concussion. Some hot redhead in a tank top helped you into a truck for a ride down the hill. There was another rider that crashed shortly after you while we were waiting on the side of the trail.

you better start taking some glucosamine, chondrotin and calcium bro. I know you only break yourself on big stacks but I think you're due for some serious weight training, and joint strengthening.

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shanedawg
    No Rich they didn't shut down the trail while they loaded you on the ATV. Dang dude, your memory is jacked after that concussion. Some hot redhead in a tank top helped you into a truck for a ride down the hill. There was another rider that crashed shortly after you while we were waiting on the side of the trail.

you better start taking some glucosamine, chondrotin and calcium bro. I know you only break yourself on big stacks but I think you're due for some serious weight training, and joint strengthening.
    Well he did shutdown our riding while we waited for the emergency crew

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Dude,
    Heal up! I gots some rides we need to do I'm with Shane, maybe if you coat those old brittle bones in a couple more layers of muscle they won't be so inclined to snap... Me, I find that fat works almost as well and is a lot easier to build up.

Heal up,
    Scott

My arm hurts a little
    Dude F-that crap!!

I broke my left radius 11/11/07. According to the doc a "nasty break". But didn't require surgery (I SHOULD HAVE). It's been 6 MONTHS and i just got back on the bike with some major arm pain, it will be another 6 before i THINK ill be back fully if ever.

I lost all my palm down motion!, palm up I lost 25%.

I'm not going to sugar coat it, your prob not riding in 4 weeks. I thought i was but when i got out of the cast my arm was frozen and PT sucks.

1st post in 6 months yay the ***** is back!!!
    Hardtail downhill
    https://youtu.be/sXhWDoz7_CM
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    tresspassing, thievery and poaching is all part of a DH'ers life

Glad to Be Alive
    ask about a bone stimulator....do take all your viatmins and take calcium, vit D and magnessium
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Broken and dizzy
    Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Already taking the calcium+ supplements.

@ #1, FWIW, doc was the one saying I'd be riding in 4 weeks. Obviously not DH, or jumping etc., but easy fireroad/singletrack. I tend to believe him as that was my experience with getting my scaphoid pinned. 2 weeks in the splint and then 2 weeks after that, I was riding in the soft brace.

I also hear you on the range of motion issue. I was relentless in my PT of the other wrist and have about 95%+ ROM. Constant, constant stretching, squeeze ball and light weights to build the muscles back up.

Capricious youth...
    Rich! Keep up the hard work man. Supplements, PT after surgery, etc.

Like I said, I wanna' see you out on the trails at N* this season.
    Meh.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Had the same deal a few seasons back; two breaks at the end of the radius and one on the ulnar process. I have a T shaped plate and six screws holding it together. Hard cast for about a month, a month of therapy, and was back at the DJs by the third month.
    As much as it sucks being off the bike due to injury, sometimes it can be a good thing. With all the time and thought we put into becoming better riders, a significant break from the bike will let you shift your focus back to the basics of just riding and not overthinking every detail and technique. Of course, I might be trying to convince myself as I sit here recovering from yesterday's shoulder arthroscopy.
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

Members who have read this thread: 0