Grand Rapids- Mtbr.com

Thread: Grand Rapids

mtbr member

Grand Rapids

Does anyone know any good DH mountains near Grand Rapids? I go to college in east texas now and it sucks, theres no mountains... Any good places around the GR area?
    thanks
    IS THIS SOMETHING YOU CAN SHARE WITH THE REST OF US AMAZING LARRY ?!?!?!

aircooled VW FTW

Glad to Be Alive
    Grand Rapids is pretty flat too.....plus it is under tons of ice an snow this time of year....I don't know how people from Michigan ride bikes this time of year
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

^ That's what I do
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Grand Rapids is pretty flat too.....plus it is under tons of ice an snow this time of year....I don't know how people from Michigan ride bikes this time of year
    For the most part, we don't. I live in Gaylord, MI, about 70 miles south of the Mackinac Bridge. We get about 150 inches of snow per year. I took our dog for a walk today on our usual biking trail and we had thick, knee-deep snow. I don't know how you could get a bike through that. The western and northern parts of the lower peninsula, and the entire UP get a lot of snow. The eastern LP (West Branch, Lansing, Flint, Saginaw, Bay City, Detroit) don't get very much snow. When they do get snow, everybody loses there minds and closes the schools over 3 inches of powder on the roads. That's an normal day here in Gaylord.

I don't think Michigan is a good DH state. We are a great XC state and road state though. The northern LP has a lot of hills. The western, central and eastern lower parts of the state are pretty flat. The only real mountainous areas of the state are in the western half of the UP, but they aren't as extreme as other parts of the country. Look at a topographical map, you'll see what I'm talking about.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper 29er (modified)

mtbr member

im not talking about this time of year

aircooled VW FTW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopping_Rocks
    For the most part, we don't. I live in Gaylord, MI, about 70 miles south of the Mackinac Bridge. We get about 150 inches of snow per year. I took our dog for a walk today on our usual biking trail and we had thick, knee-deep snow. I don't know how you could get a bike through that. The western and northern parts of the lower peninsula, and the entire UP get a lot of snow. The eastern LP (West Branch, Lansing, Flint, Saginaw, Bay City, Detroit) don't get very much snow. When they do get snow, everybody loses there minds and closes the schools over 3 inches of powder on the roads. That's an normal day here in Gaylord.

I don't think Michigan is a good DH state. We are a great XC state and road state though. The northern LP has a lot of hills. The western, central and eastern lower parts of the state are pretty flat. The only real mountainous areas of the state are in the western half of the UP, but they aren't as extreme as other parts of the country. Look at a topographical map, you'll see what I'm talking about.

WELL xc is good too. Are there any good places to snowboard,cause I know there's lots of snow?

aircooled VW FTW

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazing Larry104
    WELL xc is good too. Are there any good places to snowboard,cause I know there's lots of snow?
    the mtns are flat for that too....you picked the wrong state
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazing Larry104
    there's some nice spots in the UP...but that's a good 8-10-12 hour drive from g-rap
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

mtbr member
    the mtns are flat for that too....you picked the wrong state
    ha, yea I see, I didnt pick it yet, i'm either going to michigan or british columia, and BC totally owns so I'll proabably end up going there. thanks for the help

aircooled VW FTW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopping_Rocks
    I live in Gaylord, MI. The eastern LP (West Branch, Lansing, Flint, Saginaw, Bay City, Detroit) don't get very much snow. When they do get snow, everybody loses there minds and closes the schools over 3 inches of powder on the roads. That's an normal day here in Gaylord.
    I call BS.

Grew up and lived in Lansing 19 years of my life. School barely ever got canceled in Holt. 4.5 years at Eastern Michigan in Ypsilanti and school got canceled twice, first day of second semester freshman year, and my graduation day in December of last year.

Just cause your from a real manly city like GAYlord doesn't give you the right to talk smack about the rest of our awesome state!

Either way... is it really cool to have school administrators not take into consideration the safety of the people commuting to school and make them go to school in dangerous weather?

Back to topic...

All that said, I have never been there but I have heard Cannonsburg has some good freeride in the summer, don't know about downhill specific stuff, and good snowboarding/skiing in the winter.

If you want to travel up north Boyne Highlands is a really fun freeride place in the summer, long lift rides, fun downhill runs.

Don't mean to turn this into a flame thread but I have to stick up for my homeland!

Hope the applicable information helps

^ That's what I do
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible1one3
    I call BS.

Just cause your from a real manly city like GAYlord doesn't give you the right to talk smack about the rest of our awesome state!

Don't mean to turn this into a flame thread but I have to stick up for my homeland!

Hope the applicable information helps
    Dude, calm down. I wasn't talking smack about the rest of the state. It was just my opinion. I love Michigan as much as you do. I don't appreciate you making fun of my hometown just because of its name. Don't mean to turn this into a flame thread but I have to stick up for my hometown!
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper 29er (modified)

sixsixtysix
    Michigan blows. Born there, raised there, left there for places with real mountains. Don't get me wrong, for water, trees and rednecks, Michigan is awesome, but for those pesky little things like jobs, culture, etc. Its a festering wasteland.

For riding near GR, your pretty much stuck with Yankee Springs to the south for some XC. As for DH, just go poach Cannonsburg, its not like you can't just hike straight up the side of that place.

Or you can do what we used too, and just ride urban DH starting up from the Heritage Hill area and heading to downtown GR. Fountain or Lyon streets works great late at night and they have a couple ledges that can send you when hit with speed.

mtbr member
    Check out Marquette mountain and Benson Grade, it's right across the road from M.M.

Boyne Highlands has potential too.....I've been there 8 times since they started building, and i go to marquette at least 20 times in the summer..
    God made Firefighters so that Cops could have heroes.

03 BuLLit - Retired
    SX Trail 2007/66 Rc2x
    Demo 9 Pro/888 Rc2x

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Michigan blows. Born there, raised there, left there for places with real mountains. Don't get me wrong, for water, trees and rednecks, Michigan is awesome, but for those pesky little things like jobs, culture, etc. Its a festering wasteland.
    Hater!

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by ScBullitFr3rider
    Check out Marquette mountain and Benson Grade, it's right across the road from M.M.

Boyne Highlands has potential too.....I've been there 8 times since they started building, and i go to marquette at least 20 times in the summer..
    benson's a fun one, as is da mountain
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

Members who have read this thread: 0