Got some "Bike Bling" for my bike...- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NO_BRAKES's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    23

    Got some "Bike Bling" for my bike...

    Well, this is ongoing right now so I'll have to let everyone know how it turns out. I wanted to buy 8 Maxxis Minion downhill tires in two different sizes and figured if I'm buying eight tires, I can get some better pricing, so I hit up five of the online Maxxis dealers for some pricing quotes.

    So I ordered 8 Maxxis Minion tires from an online website that I won't mention at this point because don't want to bash them yet before I see how nice they'll be to fix the issue and if they do right by me then I'll post their great way of handling the "snafu." If not...

    After almost a month of emails to this guy, and I meticulously stated in at least five emails that I wanted the 2 ply tires, he sends me six 1 ply tires. I paid more dough for 2 ply and got 1 ply.

    So stay tuned for this sites solution to fixing their snafu.
    Yes, I AM the 3 time winner of the photo caption contest with one MTB jersey and two vests to prove it!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jason B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_BRAKES
    won't mention at this point because don't want to bash them yet before I see how nice they'll be to fix the issue and if they do right by me .
    seeing as how tires are not considered bling, and you put bike bling in quotes, I'll assume it was Bike Bling... How'd I do?

  3. #3
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B.
    How'd I do?
    i bet you are a detective or sumtin

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    181
    I bet NO BRAKES is Yo Pawns' brother!!!!

    Oh yeah....we know what Minions are like so we don't need no stinkin review!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jason B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    i bet you are a detective or sumtin
    Nah, just stayed at a Holiday Inn Exprees last night.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NO_BRAKES's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    23
    Well, don't go judging yet. This is my first time dealing with these guys and although it's gone bad already that doesn't mean there might be a good reason. I got an email tonight and I have to admit the guy is being very nice about it so far so let's not draw conclusions. He did state however that Maxxis does not make Minions in a downhill 2 ply in the 2.35 size. Maxxis site seems to counter this but I'm going to call around tomorrow and find out the real dirt. Get it? Dirt?

    I called Maxxis but they never returned m call. If their site is to blame, I will be pretty ticked at Maxxis because it says under general 2 ply and under specs, it clearly states 2.35's. So stay tuned...

    Stumo, don't have a brother who rides man. Sorry.
    Yes, I AM the 3 time winner of the photo caption contest with one MTB jersey and two vests to prove it!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    169
    "Models and sizes may be limited by market"

    http://www.maxxis.com/CmsPage.aspx?contentpageid=373

  8. #8
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason B.
    Nah, just stayed at a Holiday Inn Exprees last night.
    oh, that was gonna be my next guess.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NO_BRAKES's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    23

    Well, here's the dirt. Get it? Dirt?

    Saw that page edzwa, according to Maxxis I spoke with today, the 2.35 Minion Wire Bead MAX Pro in 60 durometer does come in a 2 ply however it's not in the U.S. it's overseas. Or at least that's what my convo with Maxxis was this morning. The lady I spoke with there said the EXO would be the one that would classify as the 2 ply Minion in a 2.35 as it has threads in the sidewall to give more stability, however, it is still only a 1 ply. The EXO has lighter weight than the 2 ply Minion but it uses threads in the side to help the sidewall and you can run lower pressure in it. I like my 2 ply minions dragster style on the back, wrinkle wall. But gives me great traction and the 2 ply has never given me a pinch flat. So in a nut shell, Maxxis site is misleading and the online Maxxis dealer was right. I believe he just missed my 5 emails asking for 2 ply and could have been an oversight.

    The lady at Maxxis did mention that the wire bead will seat the tire better than a foldable and thus cause less pinch flats as the tire won't move off the rim area as a foldable would, which is the main reason I was concerned, pinch flats. I have 2 ply 2.50's and I got three sets of 2.35's for my cross country bike buddies and I didn't want them to get pinch flats which one got on the first day out and another gets all the time. And it is me who talked them all into buying Maxxis and I did the bartering for them because they're all newbies and don't know much about bikes let along tire durometer, butyl inserts, wire beads vs foldable etc. Well, one isn't a newbie but he's one of those guys that takes his BMW to the dealer if there's something wrong with it! GEEZE you gotta be kidding me!!? What a sissy weenie. I put new fuel injectors in my car last year and I'm not even a mechanic! But I'm the mechanically inclined.

    Anyway, they've seen that I'm the guy that built a sweet downhill bike from ground up so I'm the one that would wind up changing THEIR tire if it goes flat in the woods and thus I wanted 2 ply for them because none of them would have the tools or know how to change it, fix the pinch and get it back on. So 2 ply to me means less work for me on the trail and more riding time. Cuz you know, I'm that guy that carries ten pounds extra in my pack like the inner tube for another rider, tools, extra chain links, shock pump, tire pump, scabs patches, etc... in case I come across the rider who's broke down.

    Anyway, I owe the retailer an apology today for getting angry about it but it would have been nice if he had let me know this before sending them because I would have opted for the sturdier EXO's instead for my buddys. He offered them but I didn't know enough about them so I opted for the 2 ply 2.35's which are non existent according to the Maxxis rep I spoke to today.

    So there you have it. Maxxis does NOT make a Minion DownHill specific version Butyl insert 2 ply wire bead minion in 60 durometer in a 2.35 size.

    SO MAXXIS OUGHT TO PUT THAT ON THEIR SITE SO OTHER PEOPLE DON'T CHEW OFF KERRY McKOYS HEAD AT BIKE BLING WHEN THEY ASK FOR 2 PLY TIRES AND 1 PLY COMES IN THE MAIL!!!! (eckhem!)

    A simple phone call to their webmaster to put that in the general info text would prevent this kind of thing because I'm sure other guys in the US, and dirty girls that are hard core downhillers, (don't believe they exist cuz I'm dying to meet one but ey!) are ordering 2 ply's and getting one in the mail and going.., "WTF!!?"

    So situation is all good now. I'm telling my buds about the 1 ply and to be honest, they don't ride nutzoid like me so maybe wired beaded 1 ply will work. If not, I'll be yankin out the tools.

    So thanks to Terry McKoy at Bike Bling for keeping his cool and being ready to take the order back.
    Last edited by NO_BRAKES; 08-19-2010 at 08:52 AM.
    Yes, I AM the 3 time winner of the photo caption contest with one MTB jersey and two vests to prove it!

  10. #10
    maker of trail
    Reputation: essenmeinstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,008
    this thread makes my head hurt...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bxxer rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,411
    im struggling with what this thread is trying to achive?you are doing xc, and properly set up tyre shouldn't pinch even single ply doing xc. what you need to do if you are always fixing tubes is give them what they need, sit bad and have a snack while they work it out for them selves.

    and for dh girls? bout 30% o my riding friends are girls, and no they are not all really butch. most are really cute and petite.
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bullcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,150
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_BRAKES
    Anyway, they've seen that I'm the guy that built a sweet downhill bike from ground up so .
    Yeah they've never seen that before! they must be relishing in the glow given off by the bikes bling!
    My Sponsor House

    "I dont make memories, I make History."
    CANFIELD - AVALANCHE SUSPENSION - SCHWALBE - TLD

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dowst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,705
    You want two ply DH tires for XC?

    Lolz.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NO_BRAKES's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff
    this thread makes my head hurt...
    And your avatar makes my weenie hard.

    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    im struggling with what this thread is trying to achive?you are doing xc, and properly set up tyre shouldn't pinch even single ply doing xc. what you need to do if you are always fixing tubes is give them what they need, sit bad and have a snack while they work it out for them selves.

    and for dh girls? bout 30% o my riding friends are girls, and no they are not all really butch. most are really cute and petite.
    I'm struggling to figure out why you haven't learned to spell the word "achieve," and learned to start your next sentence with a space and a cap for that matter. But who am I to judge your post, right!? Some tires are way too thin to set up, properly or not. Pinch flats do happen and there are crappy tires out there. Not to me though because I ride 2 PLY. I don't ride XC. My buddies bikes are XC/FR but their tires are cheap small nobbys and slip uphill. As to DH girls, I never said anything about butch. I like my girls hotties. Petite or tall. Don't matter to me. I just want one that rides. This is the east coast. DH girls are far and few in between. It's ain't Whistler here ya know. Capice?
    Last edited by NO_BRAKES; 08-19-2010 at 07:11 PM.
    Yes, I AM the 3 time winner of the photo caption contest with one MTB jersey and two vests to prove it!

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    29
    This thread makes no sense. I was hoping to read about bling, but no I read an incoherent rant about tires and an anonymous web dealer. Come on dude.

  16. #16
    For The Win
    Reputation: StinkyFTW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    454
    To recap...You need eight 2 -ply DH tires for your XC bike and you're mad because you got 1-plys because that's what's available...and now that you know that it's all cool?
    Slow is cool too, right?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    151
    Clearly the online retailer does not carry the product you seek so why would you even order from them? Makes no sense. So then you complain about it and knock someone for spelling achieve incorrectly.

    You certainly owe an apology to Terry at BB and to us all for reading through useless info.

  18. #18
    moaaar shimz
    Reputation: tacubaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    9,117
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_BRAKES
    Saw that page edzwa, according to Maxxis I spoke with today, the 2.35 Minion Wire Bead MAX Pro in 60 durometer does come in a 2 ply however it's not in the U.S. it's overseas. Or at least that's what my convo with Maxxis was this morning. The lady I spoke with there said the EXO would be the one that would classify as the 2 ply Minion in a 2.35 as it has threads in the sidewall to give more stability, however, it is still only a 1 ply. The EXO has lighter weight than the 2 ply Minion but it uses threads in the side to help the sidewall and you can run lower pressure in it. I like my 2 ply minions dragster style on the back, wrinkle wall. But gives me great traction and the 2 ply has never given me a pinch flat. So in a nut shell, Maxxis site is misleading and the online Maxxis dealer was right. I believe he just missed my 5 emails asking for 2 ply and could have been an oversight.

    The lady at Maxxis did mention that the wire bead will seat the tire better than a foldable and thus cause less pinch flats as the tire won't move off the rim area as a foldable would, which is the main reason I was concerned, pinch flats. I have 2 ply 2.50's and I got three sets of 2.35's for my cross country bike buddies and I didn't want them to get pinch flats which one got on the first day out and another gets all the time. And it is me who talked them all into buying Maxxis and I did the bartering for them because they're all newbies and don't know much about bikes let along tire durometer, butyl inserts, wire beads vs foldable etc. Well, one isn't a newbie but he's one of those guys that takes his BMW to the dealer if there's something wrong with it! GEEZE you gotta be kidding me!!? What a sissy weenie. I put new fuel injectors in my car last year and I'm not even a mechanic! But I'm the mechanically inclined.

    Anyway, they've seen that I'm the guy that built a sweet downhill bike from ground up so I'm the one that would wind up changing THEIR tire if it goes flat in the woods and thus I wanted 2 ply for them because none of them would have the tools or know how to change it, fix the pinch and get it back on. So 2 ply to me means less work for me on the trail and more riding time. Cuz you know, I'm that guy that carries ten pounds extra in my pack like the inner tube for another rider, tools, extra chain links, shock pump, tire pump, scabs patches, etc... in case I come across the rider who's broke down.

    Anyway, I owe the retailer an apology today for getting angry about it but it would have been nice if he had let me know this before sending them because I would have opted for the sturdier EXO's instead for my buddys. He offered them but I didn't know enough about them so I opted for the 2 ply 2.35's which are non existent according to the Maxxis rep I spoke to today.

    So there you have it. Maxxis does NOT make a Minion DownHill specific version Butyl insert 2 ply wire bead minion in 60 durometer in a 2.35 size.

    SO MAXXIS OUGHT TO PUT THAT ON THEIR SITE SO OTHER PEOPLE DON'T CHEW OFF KERRY McKOYS HEAD AT BIKE BLING WHEN THEY ASK FOR 2 PLY TIRES AND 1 PLY COMES IN THE MAIL!!!! (eckhem!)

    A simple phone call to their webmaster to put that in the general info text would prevent this kind of thing because I'm sure other guys in the US, and dirty girls that are hard core downhillers, (don't believe they exist cuz I'm dying to meet one but ey!) are ordering 2 ply's and getting one in the mail and going.., "WTF!!?"

    So situation is all good now. I'm telling my buds about the 1 ply and to be honest, they don't ride nutzoid like me so maybe wired beaded 1 ply will work. If not, I'll be yankin out the tools.

    So thanks to Terry McKoy at Bike Bling for keeping his cool and being ready to take the order back.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    181
    NO BRAKES is DEFFO Yo pawns' brother!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EDizzleVR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    783
    best price on maxxis is CRC, done.
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

    6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

  21. #21
    Now with More Wood
    Reputation: Iceman2058's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,964
    Single ply is much better for landing on though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NO_BRAKES's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    23
    Okay people, here's the real deal. Some of you may be able to handle it, from what it appears, most of you won't, but here it is anyway... thread's over people. Acknowledged, move on.
    Yes, I AM the 3 time winner of the photo caption contest with one MTB jersey and two vests to prove it!

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    112
    Just what the hell is this thread even about?

    All I could make out of it is...some dude got screwed buying mail order and wants to be a nice guy and buy DH tires for all his spandex buddies so they don't flat, and he can also replace a fuel injector and change a tire at the same time....WOW!!!

    My advice, don't buy on-line, and get Schwalbes next time

  24. #24
    Pee's in the H8teraid
    Reputation: DucJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    420
    No!
    '10 SXT
    '10 Demo 8
    '09 Yeti DJ

  25. #25
    YOUREGO ISNOT YOURAMIGO
    Reputation: GoGoGordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,906
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_BRAKES
    Okay people, here's the real deal. thread's over people. Acknowledged, move on.
    Thank You
    Now what were you talking about?
    Oh yeah 2 ply.
    Always better to wipe with 2 ply instead of 1. fo sho.
    Go on, git out of here...

  26. #26
    meow meow
    Reputation: b-kul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    10,622
    whats this now? you can work on my car?

  27. #27
    maker of trail
    Reputation: essenmeinstuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,008
    I hear that they have some seriously sweet deals on any kind of 2 ply tire you might need, even xc HERE.

  28. #28
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    29
    I hate you.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.