Got to share my exp- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Got to share my exp

So I just have to put this down on the forum to some people that will most likely know what I am talking about.
    I went on my first DH ride this past weekend. On my first proper mountain bike.
    Let me restate that. My First DH Run on my First real MTB. Think about that for a second.
    I mean I have been building this bike for over a year. I finished it and rode it down a slight incline at a nearby park and down 5 concrete steps at my house just to see what it was going to feel like. So I thought. I have ridden some BMX dirt, lots of MotoX about 10 years ago, and I ride a crotch rocket 3 or 4 days a week to work. So two wheels - I am ready to rock, again "so I thought..."
    I posted on the regional section looking for gravity assisted runs in my area and yakuzafreerider , and some others,reply to my post and tell me a couple of spots. Yakuzafreerider and I ended up hitting the trail together this past Saturday morning, super cool guy we had a blast to say the least. I was and am still super stoked. He is pretty damn fast too might I add.
    So we meet up just after the break of dawn. Its a lovely cool morning. Hoodies on, grab a bite to eat then head up to the trail. He has explained to me a few things about my bike, how to adjust stuff, and what to look for as far as stuff I might want to notice about my rebound and the like. I shed my hoodie and put on my helmet and throw my leg over the seat. This is when everything I thought I knew was about to change.
    He storms off at a good little clip, and I pop up two gears mash the pedals as we enter the woods. We are going fast, not crazy fast just fun fast, but it seems fine its pretty flat and kinda single track flowy stuff. I am thinking "oh this is what its like this is great" then "ummm No". There are some roots. Some Rocks. Some more Rocks, Sharp Rocks. Rock Steps to sharp rock landings. Root steps with sharp rocks that want to grab my pedals. My mind is going 1000000 mph. trying to process all of this. His bike is leaving the ground, and without even skipping a beat I just decide I am going to follow his line and try to stay at his speed, well close to it. WOW!!! My bike is going over rocks, roots, ledges and I hardly feel it. I mean I feel it but I am still in control of my bike, and hauling ass. I am in disbelief WE stop he explains that we are going to hit some more treacherous stuff and how to handle it and I just basically follow him. Hindsight I am not sure how I survived some of it. ( don't worry I am gonna wreck twice later ). So we are going off roots section drops to jagged rock gardens with rocks sticking up trying to hang my pedals. I just keep the bike light under me and let the BoXXer do the work. WOW!! This is so sick. I go back and fourth from fear to comfort to fear to comfort. Ahh its the best feeling. Some of the things I went over and or around I do not remember, but I do know I had no idea my bike would go over them. We get to the end of the trail. I do remember some things, the fear, the flow, the fun, the speed. Well.. HI, Im Curtis, and I am a DH-Aholic.
    As we are pedaling back to the car I am so stoked I am just looking for something to jump off of, bunny hop, anything. Ahh-Haa there is a small bank of dirt between the pavement parking lot where my truck is. I fly around my truck lean in hard to get a good angle onto the dirt and WHAM, hung my pedal over the handle bars on to the asphalt! The irony is wonderful isn't it. I jump up,nothing to painful.
    We load bikes and and move on. Yakuzafreerider is telling my about this other hike-a-bike harder short run. WE stop and kit up , and start the push. "What the hell", is what I am thinking. I am wondering if he is trying to kill me, scare me, show me how bad ass is he is ( which I can already see ) but we can't hardly push up this stuff, it hasn't rained in a week or more and the rocks are slipping out form under my feet as I push up. Now as we take breaks he is telling me he isn't sure we should ride this but we continue, and he isn't sure if we will be able to get back down without walking. But we progress.
    We get to the top and drop in. Lots of rear brake, ass behind the seat, feather the front. OHHH SICK this is amazing. I am riding down this thing I didn't even want to walk down. Wow. Its so steep if you stop you have to point your bike at an angle to restart you cant point it down hill or when you get on you will go right over the bars. "SICK, and I am riding down this, amazing". Of course yakuzafreerider is out of sight probably waiting at the bottom. But we get down. Oh I am super stoked now.
    Well we ran the first trail again, I actually went slower and tried to make some of my own lines, crashed once because of poor choices but it was still amazing. I can feel I can get faster, I can tell I am addicted to this. I went back and hiked it on foot yesterday to get to know it and I am still amazed I can ride my bike down any of that especially at the speed we rolled it at the first run.
    So FIRST BIG THANKS TO yakuzafreerider, to the mtbr.com forum peeps.
    I am hooked.
    Last edited by xcurtisx; 08-11-2008 at 07:01 AM.
    "You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
    C. S. Lewis

mtbr member
    im sorry but can you some how boil it down to some thing smaller? (bit fazed by the size of it)
    Quote Originally Posted by [Orge
    ]
    This problem could quite simply be solved if people would stop buying Konas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bxxer rider
    im sorry but can you some how boil it down to some thing smaller? (bit fazed by the size of it)
    Not without multiple HD cameras, a time machine, and drugs.
    C. S. Lewis

mtbr member
    lmao but whats with the drugs bit?
    ]

mtbr member
    Well to recreate all the emotions, I actually don't think drugs could do it, but it was the best I could think of. Plus some pain killers to add in as I am sore.
    C. S. Lewis

mtbr member
    ill tell you what, now im interested to find out what the hell happend so im gunner attemp reading it
    ]

mtbr member
    nice sounds like a normal ride, i ride like that not looking at the trail before i start which is great, the first time a hit this one trail i was folloing a mae of mine of had ridden it countles times and i was keeping up which is great then the second time i whent first and by the time i got the the bottem he was no where to be see, he was that far behind me he didnt crash or any thing he was ridding how he normaly does. ( lucky you still having you bike in one pieace as mine came back home at the end of the day needing loads of work to the frive train and im still waiting on the repiares to be finised over a week later (the mian guy who works on it is on hoilday so one guy doing over 50 DH in that week all needed loads of work) )
    ]

Pivotal figure
    In a nutshell; you felt the "flow"...That's what everyone on here is addicted to
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Wow, we've really got a few "readers" with an aversion to reading... on a forum - go figure, Lol. I for one, appreciate your writing style Curtis... Like the full punctuation, complete with carriage returns and full sentences and everything. Well done, reading that was easy and didn't make my brain hurt.

Congrats on finding the flow,
    ...live it, love it, ride it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy
    Wow, we've really got a few "readers" with an aversion to reading... on a forum - go figure, Lol. I for one, appreciate your writing style Curtis... Like the full punctuation, complete with carriage returns and full sentences and everything. Well done, reading that was easy and didn't make my brain hurt.

Congrats on finding the flow,
    ...live it, love it, ride it.
    Thank you sir. Stoked I might have to leave work a bit early.
    C. S. Lewis

Capricious youth...
    I feel the need... the need... for speed.

Meh.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Dude that's awesome. Now go on weekend trips, and it'll just become a part of you.

moaaar shimz
    Very nice

StraightOuttaCompton
    hella dope bro
    HARDTAIL PRIDE- 09 Kona Five-0

Glad to Be Alive
    hella cool story....love the passion....it is addicting
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    good job of describing an awesome feeling: blitzing some trail haha

holler at me if you want to check out the numerous oppurtunities around roanoke and blacksburg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 891
    good job of describing an awesome feeling: blitzing some trail haha

holler at me if you want to check out the numerous oppurtunities around roanoke and blacksburg
    There will be holler'n I assure you.
    thanks man.
    C. S. Lewis

Gravity addict
    Thanks for the props Curtis-
    As you and some already know Dh/Fr is how I started a rough start lol (broken rib here and there) but you get hooked on the adrenaline, taking chances with obstacles in the trail -its an awesome feeling to know you made it to the bottom in one piece and ride up and try it again...and again ect ect.
    Curtis everytime you ride youll get better and faster....and we will venture out to other trails in the area its just good to have a copilot regardless noob or not...
    stay stoked
    How's that dirt taste?

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    great write-up man.. i love reading stories like this, because it reminds me of my first DH experiences. Congrats on discovering the joys of this sport.

You think you're addicted now? Just wait until you clear a pack of sweet doubles. That sh!t's worse than crack!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Opened the post and got dYSleXia

KEEP ROLLING
    take a few moments to stretch....... find a spot somewhere doesn't really matter if it is a bizy noisy spot, close your eyes and try and tune every sound out around you, breath deeply and slowly, when you are calm and detached from your spot get up grab your bike and shed that @[email protected] !!!! UP !!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0