Got me a big bike rack.- Mtbr.com
    TNC
    noMAD man

Got me a big bike rack.

I picked up a Sportworks T2 rack from the shop today. I had been using a Cobra 2-bike Yakima setup, but the darned things almost constantly loosened up at the adjusting knobs. I'm fairly impressed with this updated rack from Sportworks. Their previous rack was already darned good. This thing has a cool linkage system that aids in changing the angle of the trays and is built like a sherman tank. The wheel holders are pretty huge and even have recesses in them to accomodate road bike tires...pretty smart. Here's a pic of it. I was too lazy to put the silver Bullit/Monster T combo in it, but it fits fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    nice rack
    "Better safe than scarry"

www.3dmtb.net

kona-tize me captain
    jeeeze ur rack is sooo big, (silent chuckle)

how much it weigh? i have this big L shaped rack that weighs at least 80lbs
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    just got the same rack myself last week. I freakin love it. Totally worth the money as there is no wobble at all when i strapped my 49lbs bullit in.

TNC
    noMAD man

Hey, the rack's not big...

Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    jeeeze ur rack is sooo big, (silent chuckle)

how much it weigh? i have this big L shaped rack that weighs at least 80lbs
    The truck and bike are just really, really small...LOL! Actually, the T2 is heavy, but no heavier than my 2-bike Cobra setup was. It's not too heavy, even for an old man to lift. I just cinch up my hernia trusses and and grin & bear it...LOL!

Youngbuck
    I like your van

o and the racks cool too.
    Honorary Member of the: 500 club

TNC
    noMAD man

Van? Ain't from Texas, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianHooligan
    I like your van

o and the racks cool too.
    LOL! We drive trucks down here, pardner!

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    how many bikes can u get on ther?
    That one takes two, but if you get the extensions you can get 4 on there. The new T2 is rated for 4 40lb bikes I think, but we put more than that on the old model anyways so it should be all good.
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

TNC
    noMAD man

Convertible.

Quote Originally Posted by zachdank
    how many bikes can u get on ther?
    This one's a 2-bike setup, but it has the capability for a 1 or 2 bike plug-in add-on. Judging from the beefiness of the frame on this thing, it looks like it would handle the 2-bike add-on just fine. The paperwork on this rack claims it will handle 100 pounds total, or up to 60 pounds on one tray and 40 on the other, at the same time. It's one thing that impressed me on this rack. It ain't no tinker toy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    are you sure its not 60 lbs per tray and up to 160 lbs total?

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman
    are you sure its not 60 lbs per tray and up to 160 lbs total?
    Yes, I'm sure it's not. I sell these.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Cynical Bystander
    If its built like a sherman tank then you might wanna think twice.

Looks very nice though.
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

telemarc
    Jan 2005

I use the 4 bike

I have the T2 2 bike plus the 2 add ons for my Honda Element. We put 4 bikes from Forward to Back( Foes Fly- 39 lbs. , Bullit - 40 lbs. , Giant Reign1 - 28 lbs. , Giant Trance 1 - 25 lbs. ) no problem. Dont even know they are there . Except when bakcking up. Just make sure you carry extra insurance if you ever get rear ended and wind up with a 20,000 dollar mess, Assuming the rear endee never touches the Honda!!

Don't skid
    I just got a T2 on Tuesday but the hitch I ordered for my van hasn't came in yet so I can't install the rack . But yes, its looks supper beefy. I am anxious to use mine.

Glad to Be Alive
    Lucky !!!!!!!

Yo Pardner, nice truck
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by telemarc
    I have the T2 2 bike plus the 2 add ons for my Honda Element. We put 4 bikes from Forward to Back( Foes Fly- 39 lbs. , Bullit - 40 lbs. , Giant Reign1 - 28 lbs. , Giant Trance 1 - 25 lbs. ) no problem. Dont even know they are there . Except when bakcking up. Just make sure you carry extra insurance if you ever get rear ended and wind up with a 20,000 dollar mess, Assuming the rear endee never touches the Honda!!
    I have T2 as well on my element. Question for you, does your top anti-wobble bolt work with the valley industries hitch. On mine the rack just does not slide in far enough to make that feature usable.

telemarc
    Jan 2005

Hitch modification

Posernewbie ,
    Take your hitch in and get them to add apiece of Hitch Tubing to extend the hitch sleeve. They ground off the welds to remove the piece around the end.Welded on a piece of square tobing to extend the tube 2". Welded the sleeve or piece back on the end and painted it up for me.
    $20.00 canadian at the local welding shop. Any welding shop should have the standard hitch tube. I think it is 2" x 2" I.D.
    Well worth the coin as I have absolutely no rattle or wobble. Everybody I know has had this done.I don't understand what Sportworks was thinking.

TNC
    noMAD man

Fits both my trucks.

Posernewbie ,
    Take your hitch in and get them to add apiece of Hitch Tubing to extend the hitch sleeve. They ground off the welds to remove the piece around the end.Welded on a piece of square tobing to extend the tube 2". Welded the sleeve or piece back on the end and painted it up for me.
    $20.00 canadian at the local welding shop. Any welding shop should have the standard hitch tube. I think it is 2" x 2" I.D.
    Well worth the coin as I have absolutely no rattle or wobble. Everybody I know has had this done.I don't understand what Sportworks was thinking.
    The receiver slides right into both of mine with the top anti-sway bolt working fine, and they have done the same on the customer's vehicles we mounted this rack to. Maybe it's something particular to the Honda Element hitch.

M070R-M0U7H FR3NCHI3
    is that a 2" or 1 and 1/4 hich?

telemarc
    Jan 2005

2"

Quote Originally Posted by Acadian
    is that a 2" or 1 and 1/4 hich?
    It is a 2". i don't think the 1.25" takes 4 bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    The receiver slides right into both of mine with the top anti-sway bolt working fine, and they have done the same on the customer's vehicles we mounted this rack to. Maybe it's something particular to the Honda Element hitch.
    Thanks Telemarc, I'm gonna go to a welding shop and have them do that. This is quite a widespread problem with the T2 with the top anti wobble thingy does not slide inside the hitch. Other than that, it is as awesome rack.

Fashionably functional...
    I have the Sportswork rack but mine came w/ wheel hoops to thold the front tire. Great rack regardless. Have it on year round but that may not be the best idea since it's got a couple spots of rust poking through. Gotta touch it up this summer.

mtbr member

couple questions

Does anyone have a sportsworks rack on an SUV with a spare tire on the tailgate? Does the spare get in the way of folding it up? And how easy is it to fold up and down?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveX
    Does anyone have a sportsworks rack on an SUV with a spare tire on the tailgate? Does the spare get in the way of folding it up? And how easy is it to fold up and down?
    I believe you would need an extension to clear the spare tire. I think sportworks sell them as an accessories.

TNC
    noMAD man

3 sheets of accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Posernewbie
    I believe you would need an extension to clear the spare tire. I think sportworks sell them as an accessories.
    Yeah, there are 3 additional pages of accessories that came with the paperwork for these racks to fit just about any situation you can think of.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I guess I'll have to figure out how much length the folded up rack plus extender will add to my truck, gotta make sure it still fits in my garage.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    PN, for hitch work, check out H&H in Burnaby. I've had hitches done there for years and have always had good service and good prices.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigH
    PN, for hitch work, check out H&H in Burnaby. I've had hitches done there for years and have always had good service and good prices.
    Craig, do you mean E&H? Some friends have been very happy with their service so I may check it out. It is also a bonus that they are close to a skytrain station.

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Ya, that is the one. Sorry about the typo, I should have looked it up.

http://eandhhitchshop.com/

I wanna talk to Samson!
    Quote Originally Posted by KONA_in_SB
    I just got a T2 on Tuesday but the hitch I ordered for my van hasn't came in yet so I can't install the rack . But yes, its looks supper beefy. I am anxious to use mine.
    Van? Don't you drive a jeep?
    JackNugz

Quote Originally Posted by zedro
    no, but they are shinier....it's like the fututre, where everything is really really shiny.....but still really just the same ol'crap

TNC
    noMAD man

Nah.

Quote Originally Posted by konabiker
    Van? Don't you drive a jeep?
    Never had a Jeep but have always had that older full-size Jimmy you can see in one of those rack pics. That truck the rack is on is an '88 S-10. They're both trucks...they last forever...LOL!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I just picked up this rack and it looks awesome on my van too. My bike is close to 75lbs but the tray only bends some. The rack is awesome and i love it.

rockin the mid-west
    Quote Originally Posted by snakehandlerboy
    I just picked up this rack and it looks awesome on my van too. My bike is close to 75lbs but the tray only bends some. The rack is awesome and i love it.
    im calling BS on the 75lb bike
    Last edited by madtownfreerider; 06-20-2005 at 08:13 PM.
    PUNK FOR LIFE
    freeride & Down hill for life
    Companies I support
    E-13
    Shimano
    Maxxis
    EBC
    Marzocchi
    SIXSIXONE
    Specialized
    Arrow Racing
    Truvativ
    W.O.R.B.A. supporter
    I.M.B.A. supporter

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by madtownfreerider
    im calling BS on the 75lb bike
    yep I will back you....he is lame
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

DOWNHILL MAFIA
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I dont know, those Kmart bikes are pretty heavy.
    i want to post more but i can't stop riding!

TNC
    noMAD man

Please don't hate him, SMT.

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Yes, he is lame, but he's part of the "hire the mentally challenged college kids" program that we started at the bike shop. We have two of these "short busers", and we feel it is our duty to assist these unfortunate individuals in their trek through life...you know, a kinda charity thing. Unfortunately we showed them how to use the computer and internet, and well...you see the results. Please be patient. They are obviously young and retarded...a deadly combination.